SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire25_gw

Help for abused mini rose!

claire25
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

My father-in-law gave me a mini rose last summer (Kordana's "Sunbeam," I think) and since then I've been doing all the wrong things, it seems! Let me give you the background before getting to my question...sorry for the long post!

I repotted it into an 8-inch pot soon after I got it (this would be about twice the size of its original--I did so at the height of summer). It made it through the winter outdoors in its pot, but because I had placed it (for overwintering, along with some other plants), on the blacktop driveway on the south side of my house, it broke dormancy very early (January) and much of its subsequent growth was "zapped" by frosts. Adding insult to injury, I pruned it very severely in March using hedgetrimmers--someone told me to take off the top 2/3 of the plant and I sure did. I has barely grown back from this.

In addition, this plant has been allowed to get (and stay) dry, has been keep in a too-shady location as I tried to "nurse" it back to health, and has generally been abused. I now see that it is attempting to flower, but it's in such a sad state (powdery mildew, dead areas, nearly no new growth) that I'm worried it will die trying. The funny thing is, I've just jumped into rose growing in a big way, and my my 7 (yes, 7!) new rose bushes (all old garden varieties) are doing great, as are the Knockouts I've had for a few years.

So now for the questions: I have just noticed that this plant is actually 5 plants that were planted together (one has died). Is it too late to separate these now, considering that the daily temps where I live are now in the 90s? I was thinking about taking the one strong growth that's attempting to flower and replanting it alone in the same pot and discarding the others. Should I pinch off the emerging buds if I do this? Is it ok to move the newly repotted plant to a full sun location (where another container rose is doing well) or should I keep it where it is (morning sun only)? Should I cut down on the watering if I do this? Or water more? I want to do anything I can to help get this plant on the right path.

Thanks for any help, and thank you for reading my long-winded post!

Claire

Comments (3)

Sponsored