SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayberrygardener

Newspaper pots and colored ink

14 years ago

Hi all,

I was planning on making some newspaper pots for my spring swap and the other stuff that's ready to be planted up, but I know that I'm not supposed to use the glossy colored papers.

However, my stash of papers is some old Rocky Mountain News (ah, brings back memories), and wouldn't you know it? EVERY SINGLE PAGE has colored ink. However, it's not the "glossy" page/ink.

Which leads me to the question: is this "colored" ink okay to use? Can I use it to pot up and just remove the paper before planting (I always do anyway--I will never leave anything in place that might slow the spread of roots even a little), and would ya'll just hate me if that's how I brought my offerings to the swap? I grow everything as organically as possible (even the weak chamomile tea I use to water the seedlings is organic and non-microwave boiled water).

I also have some Broomfield Enterprise papers lying around... same dilemma. I am unable to find anything (maybe I'm Googling the wrong combination) if these inks are "safe" or not.

If I can't use the regular sheets that have colored ink on them, the newspaper pots are a complete no-go for me. I just don't know how safe/clean the ink is... or, isn't!

Thoughts?

Comments (2)