SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
msfuzz

I don't even know where to start...Advice please!

msfuzz
13 years ago

Firstly....TOTAL gardening noob. :) I did grow up in agriculture (cattle ranching) so I'm not completely hopeless, but I don't know where to start when it comes to this sort of thing.

I am hoping to start a vegetable garden this year, but I have never done any gardening at all. I need some advice on stuff that's fairly easy to grow & fairly hard to kill.

But I don't even really have a "garden," so any advice on how to start the beds, etc, would be great. I've looked into lasagna gardening, and that seems like a really good way to do things, but I don't have ANYTHING on hand as far as materials go. I do have an old sandbox that I thought might make a good place to start, it's at least got log ties as a border, and is maybe...10'x10'. I know that sand probably isn't the best thing to try to grow veggies in, but maybe the lasagna idea on top of it?

I would love to try to grow some common herbs, 'maters, cukes, carrots, lettuce....Those all strike me as fairly common and easy. :)

Anyway, I really apologize for the incredibly broad spectrum of my post. I don't even really know what I don't know yet. I thank you all in advance for your advice.

Comments (15)