SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haliotis

Plumeria Garden Plans

16 years ago

Hi!

My husband and I are planning to redo or backyard in SoCal and wanted to know if anyone has ever designed a yard showcasing their plumeria. We are looking for any and all ideas. I have been looking for photos, but have had little luck. Any and all info and/or photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (28)

• 16 years ago

I had to incorporate my potted plummies into our landscape. I have the habit of moving them around to where I think they get the most sun, or if they get too much sun, I move them to cooler shadier areas of my yard. I cut into my rosemary shrubbery to accommodate the pots, this way they sort of blend into the landscape in the off season.

I only planted 3 into the ground this year. My husband finally agreed to "let" me do this. He likes the plummies in the summer, but doesn't care for the stick look in the off season.

So anyhow, here are some pics of my yard taken a few weeks ago.

I came down with severe plummie fever a few weeks ago & decide to start a little collection of plants. I used to be a casual plumeria fan, but it wasn't until the San Diego show that I decided I "needed" more.

I think I have acquired at least 20 new plants in just a few weeks. Yikes!

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

• 16 years ago

Hi,Alohalani, What an awesome yard you have!!!!!!!! It's absolutely beautiful! I wish I lived in an area where I could plant them all over my yard! As far as I'm concerned, you can never have too many plumies! lol Keep up the good work! Crafty

• Related Discussions

Maui Plumeria Gardens

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks guys for all the info. I need to talk to my sister about visiting in May. Although I haven't been there in awhile, I agree the Dole Plantation is a great place to visit. Pineapple heart spears are fantastic! I will check out onestopaloha as well. I would love to buy some rooted plants. Jennifer
    ...See More

Corpus Christi Botanical Garden Plumeria Grove

Q

Comments (4)
    well I guess I didn't read the bottom part! past my bedtime! guess the do dig them all up.. that's pretty crazy! Usually down there along the coast you can get away with leaving them out but they did have some freezes down there this year.
    ...See More

planning to start planting plumeria

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks, Jason! I will keep an eye open for Home Depot or Lowes whenever they would carry plumerias. I am not in a hurry. I also just started on Arabian Jasmines. I bought one from online and it is slowly growing. Days after my online order arrived, I found 2 from Home Depot. There is a difference in price and condition between online-purchased and Home Depot. Home Depot ones are growing at an amazing rate and are alreading blooming! JojoGirl
    ...See More

Spring and garden show started today any plumeria sellers there?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi jennifer!! I was just reading a post that Linda Ohara shared and said that there were no plumeria vendors At all. She was very disappointed. They also mentioned that they ( vendors ) had to be invited this year, so it sounds like they didn't want a large group there? Everyone commented on how sad and empty it was... It makes me think back to when I met you! Bill, Erica, Diana and .having breakfast with Bud Guillot! Great memories that I'll always treasure!!! Hope you are doing well!! Miss you... Laura
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

WOW! I am so jealous! Your yard is fantastic and the Plumerias are stunning!

• 16 years ago

Hi,
    I too am so jealous of your beautiful back yard. You are lucky to be able to go accross your back yard with plumies. I have large twisted junipers accross my back yard that stop any plants from going in. Love your pictures. See a lot of blooms.. What is blooming.
    Karen B

• 16 years ago

You have a beautiful yard.
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

Your garden is lovely, I enjoyed the tour so much. I've read the opinion to not underplant plumerias so they stay dry in the winter but I want mine to look like yours so I'm ignoring that advice.

But in that first picture, is that a dead blue jay in the bottom right hand corner?

Suzanne

• 16 years ago

I am glad you all like my back yard. I spend more time shuffling plants all day to the sunny spots!

Kelpie: No, that's not a dead blue jay! LOL! It's my dogs beanie baby toy. It's a blue sting ray....remember those from Mc Donalds??

• 16 years ago

hi, just saw your backyard. so beautiful!! sue

• 16 years ago

Karen B--just saw your question on what was blooming at the time. I have a penang peach, cancun dreams, samoan fluff, a couple yellows which I think are aztec golds. Also, a couple called playful. The one in the pot was a hilo beauty--it's not in full bloom.
    The little ones in the green house are puu kahea, nebels gold, kalealani, heidi, candy stripe & a teresa wilder. Hoping those will bloom out nicely in the spring. I am bringing the little ones in at night since our temps are dropping to the low 60's in San Diego. Just giving the little ones a little extra tlc.

• 16 years ago

Hi alohalani,

What a AWESOME YARD you have look at all those blooms. What kinda fertilizer do you use?

-Matt

• 16 years ago

Hi Alohalani,
    the full pink one is that penang peach? have never seen that one bloom in person, have a one yr old one. Because of our freeze Do you take your plants in pots and protect them? perhaps in your green house? Pray that does not happen again.

I may have created a monster by plunging all my canned plants in the ground. We have wicked winds come up here suddenly. I have heavy roots growing into the ground. Not sure how to handle that if they need to come to my patio if it gets chilly here. I live in the San Fernando Valley, normally warm, but lately is getting cooler.
    Karen B

• 16 years ago

Thanks for posting those wonderful pics of your yard alohalani. What zone are you in? Gives me ideas for what to do with all the pots of plummies I have sitting around on my porch. Seems like come next spring I will be quite busy!
    Lauri

• 16 years ago

Just beautiful! I plan to do a very similar thing in my yard next season. I too like mostly evergreens in the border so there is nice green throughout the winter season.

• 16 years ago

Dave it's too bad that we can't use the same variety of plants!
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

Hi,

I am in Huntington Beach, CA. I have been working on our backyard for a year now. Here are some pictures of what has been done so far:

{{gwi:1219848}}
    {{gwi:1219849}}
    {{gwi:1219851}}

Plants:

There are ten (10) plumerias in the ground with lots more planned for next season.

Two tropical red leaf banana trees

Two large red hibiscus trees

Veriagated ginger

Three (3) Schefflera trees

Yellow/Orange/Pink Cannas

Lots of Philodendrons (bipinnatifidum 'Miniature Selloum'& bipinnatifidum)

Red and Orange Bouganvilla

Hollywood Junipers

Lots of Phoenix palms,

Gardenias

Rhododendrons

The queen and king palms were planted a few months ago.

Hope that helps...

Joe

• 16 years ago

Joe, that's just beautiful. Thanks for posting pics! A pool adds so much to a yard. What are you using for edging material?

• 16 years ago

Gosh you guys... your yards are so beautiful... Going to have to landscape mine. All I have is weeds and grass in the ground with a few plumerias here and there nothing to speak of. I need a landscaper. LOL... Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!!

Janet

• 16 years ago

Thank you for the compliments...

Hi Dave,

I am using that plastic/nylon edging material that you can get at home depot. I was going have a little wall built w/ the same materials as the planter to edge the yard, but I like how this looks more natural.

Hi Janet,

You don't need to do anything to your yard, everyone would be too busy looking at your wonderful plumies.

• 16 years ago

hi, I have been looking at your beautiful garden pictures and it just occurred to me that I can also scatter my plumies throughout my garden next summer.. I just have to keep mine in pots and gather them up to winter inside.. thanks - i really like the way you have contrasted the plumies with your other plants. Now I am really looking forward to next summer.
    sue

• 16 years ago

You guys have such nice size yards mine is so dinky....

I DO need to landscape mine. Especially since I killed off the back lawn for the plumies!! LOL...

Janet

• 16 years ago

Janet,

I'm willing to make the trek to give a helping hand when ever you are ready to do the landscape...

Joe

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the photos. I am inspired. If only we had the money for a pool... I'll have to work on that.

I do have another question. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep dogs out of the plants? We have created a makeshift fence to protect our palms and plummies, but oh..is it ugly.

• 16 years ago

Joe

That is really sweet of you to offer... Hmmmm I might take you up on it one of these days. :) Thanks

Janet

• 16 years ago

Karen B--I have posted a picture of my penang peach, it starts out orangy yellow & pink around the edges. As the blooms are exposed to the sun, they fade out to a yellow. It has been blooming for me since the beginning of summer & still going! Just love it!
    The full pink one is a Cancun Pink which I found for $15 at Armstrongs this summer. Look out for their Hawaiian Days sale next year, they usually get a good selection of pinks & reds.

• 16 years ago

Haliotis- I also have had to dog proof my plumies and if you look in the picture you can see the fence connected to the green gate. the second pic is looking at the other side of the green gate. This is not pretty but it keeps the rascal out of the plants.
    {{gwi:1219859}}

{{gwi:1219861}}

Another suggestion is that if you plan a showcase yard, take the time to look at many plumies and purchase the ones you want in ten years. I am a decade in and I find I am digging up plants and replacing with ones I really like. I have several long hedges and at first I just planted what I had, but later ones I selected plants to grow next to each other (ie. calif Sally next to Aztec Gold next to Daisy wilcox or grove farm/intense rainbow/cerise/Puu Kehea) Planning can be like painting where you arrange colors, shapes or scents to fit what you want to see. Now I take flowers or pictures of flowers and line them up until is see what I like. Another benefit is that you buy the quality plants that you want to see as your taste in flowers develops. The comment, "but they are all beautiful" is like all gems are beautiful. Likewise, what each person likes is up to the individual- Bud like big, Dave like multi-colors, Joe like a blend of colors- they are all right for their own taste. Thus if you determine your taste, buy to your taste, then you sit and enjoy exactly what you like- that is until the next damn hybrid comes along that pops your eyes out. Bill

• 16 years ago

Hi Alohahani,
    Oh my gosh, is that what Kimo looks like. I have never seen it in bloom. that is spectacular. Wellllll, mine is a first year plant, bought it from FC two branches, growing big leaves and in a squirrel war, one of the short branches broke off, darn it. have it drying. So odd it rubbery, hope will solid up to plant..so late for cuttings.
    So have hope for Kimo next year. I have panang peach too, very small. I had lipstick, lost it in the freeze. Will look for it next year, pretty one.

Still hoping some of my plants bloom before they start into dormacy..Raining tonight, helps with bird droppings. I wash them all the time. Pray no freeze for any of us this fall. Have replaced most of my plants. Love the pictures.
    Karen B...

• 16 years ago

I'm really enjoying looking at the pictures of other plumeria gardens.

I haven't had too many issues with my dogs geting into my plants. I have 2 chihuahuas & a pug. The only thing I worry about is, if they get a hold of the fallen flowers or leaves, since they are supposed to be poisonous.

Bill is right about keeping "only" your favorite plumerias. I didn't really get into collecting varieties until just a couple months ago. Before I started, I had 17 potted ones. Several celadines, hilo beauties, playful, samoan fluff. After the SD show, I acquired Jeanne Moragne, guilliots sunset, duke, penang peach, nebels, puu kahea, candy stripe, heidi, kalealani. Of course I had to get a couple of each in case one didn't make it. I am too afraid to tally my final count, I am sure it's doubled.

MOst of my new plants are in 1 gallon pots, only 5 or 6 are in 15 gallon.
    I promised my DH I would get rid of some of the "common" ones to make room for all the others. I also plan on being able to trade cuttings in the spring.

The first step to recovery is admitting you are a plumeria addict! LOL! I say....there are worse things a person can get into.

• 16 years ago

I am already trying to think of how I am going to protect my Plumies (assuming they survive the winter inside) from deer next year. I need some kind of fenching, I guess. Maybe even a dog run, I dunno. Whatever I figure out, it won't be pretty, but hopefully it will work...LOL