SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubade

Kung Pao = Ka POW!

aubade
14 years ago

just figured I'd share this big ol harvest I picked this weekend. Well, big for my little urban garden anyway.

I picked all these from just three plants:

From Garden 2009

And here they are pickled, along with 1 jar of jalapenos, using a recipe from the Bell Book - 1st time ever making pickled peppers so I'm very excited:

From Garden 2009

Now if only my habaneros would do so well - they're still only about half the size as they were last year at this time. :-/

Comments (5)

• aubade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Uhoh, I just read I should have picked them when red! Whoops. Figures I don't figure it out till after picking *and* posting. Embarrasing newbie mistake, oh well! I guess they will probably still taste ok?

• andythehotpepperguy
    14 years ago

That's right aubade, they are worth the wait to red. I have grown Kung Pao for a few years now. I always get anxious and pick early, but trust me, let some go red. They are EXCELLENT! They lose some of the leafy flavor and get sweet and mean! They are AWESOME in stir-fry!

Good luck!

• aubade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the good news is there are still some left on the plants. This morning I noticed some flowers and tiny little ones too. So I hope they keep producing! I'll make sure to let them turn red this time. lol

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

I have grown Kung Pao before and found them reliable and prolific. Great choice!

I had so many I just hung the plants upside down in my basement a couple months and then turned the fruits into pepper flakes similar to what you see in stores. The difference is that these had a bit more 'kick' than the normal store bought.

An all around great pepper.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Since they're pickled they'll probably taste just fine unless they were picked in a very immature green stage (and maybe a bit crisper, too).

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor