SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catnohat

Spring Swap- Plant trading

catnohat
10 years ago

Here's a thread to list what plants you will be bringing to swap, what you would like to have, and what you are passing on to others. Enjoy!

~Cat

Comments (107)

• lkcrawford
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Vlselz: I have San Marzano tomatoes - a sauce/paste tomato. They're beautiful! Probably 18" or so and very full. Let me know if you want me to save you some. If you end up having some, I'd love some daylillies and salvia!

Cat: Also, I'd love some of your Chocolate Nigella if there is any left. I'd never heard of it, but it is so pretty.

Also, I'm hoping to find daylillies and hostas. And, kinda random but my neighbor at our old house had ornamental grass that was at least 7' tall. It got golden with tassels over winter - any ideas on what it was? She often mentioned that it grew in diameter each year and we talked about dividing a chunk but never did. Anyone have anything like it?

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm popping in to ask a few folks to contact me and type out your email addresses (gardenweb blocks them ALL, and I cannot contact you because of settings) for the "Deets email" that will be going out later this week.

Please contact me and manually include your email address in the body of the message:
    -amester
    -GarnerGarden
    -goldenguy
    -Silke Popp
    -ZachS
    -yellowdoglvr
    -lisaluwho
    -hazelb

Thanks!

• Related Discussions

wanted: african violet box trade/new swap.. spring! 2014

Q

Comments (25)
    Wow, this trade is such a cool idea for african violets! Does it include streps or gesneriads? Don't count me in although I would love to. I have 3 violets, only one is named (Optimara Hawaii), the other 2 are NOIDS. My only affordable resources are my local stores. Lowe's and Meijers in my city. Mail order is quite above my budget at this time. BUT that is why trading and exchanging is soooo awesome! I love this site and the posting and pics!!! Take a look at my trade list! I will trade for Violet/Strep leaves or plantlets!!!! If I ever build up my violets again I will sooooo be in on this!!!!~~~Rosie
    ...See More

spring swap...lets trade

Q

Comments (1)
    Please, post this on the Here is a link that might be useful: Al Exchanges
    ...See More

HAVE: San Antonio Spring Swap 2013-Plan your trades here

Q

Comments (150)
    LeapingFrogLady...can I please please please get one of those hibiscus plants? I have toying with the idea of tomatoes, I would love to get one of those toos. As for vegetables from me; I have some Purple Tomatillio seedlings that came up last week. still small but should be transplant size soon. Nasturtiums can be used an herb (real spicy). I tend to throw them in my salads to liven it up. I have plenty of those. Columbine seeds just germinated this week as well. I have a list of more stuff locate up top. Thanks zJoe This post was edited by zitro_joe on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 14:32
    ...See More

Ft Worth Spring Swap Trade Page for March 26 2016

Q

Comments (83)
    Hi, Nan! I keep thinking, "It's too hot, time for me to go into summer dormancy; *no more plants*! but they keep following me home... & every year I say, "I'm not going to water these pots of plants through the summer. Anybody left in a flowerpot after May 30 gets composted." Pots of plants have homesteaded 3 plastic wading pools here.
    ...See More
  • luckybottom
    9 years ago

Lisa Lu, I have for you: horseradish, raspberries, walking onions. But no more rhubarb, my plant just doesn't spread much and a couple a year is all i ever take (they are already spoken for).

I just germinated some foxglove. So by the swap they have leaves enough to have some small pots to offer.

• amester
    9 years ago

Hey everyone - I've had a change of plans come up so I'm going to have to miss the swap. I will definitely 100% make the fall swap (heck, if I get enough done around here I may even host it!) and can do everything then. If anyone from the south area (I'm at C-470 and Broadway) wants to pick up the lily of the valley for delivery to Mayberry that's fine (I think that's the only request I had...?). I'll just have to take a pass on the pulmonaria and house plants for the time being, but thank you all for your generosity and willingness to share with me!
    Have fun!
    Amy

• catnohat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa Lu, I would take 2 cherry tomatoes for the preschool. I would love a pear and a better boy for myself. If it's not too much to ask, I would love to try either the striped Zebra or a pineapple. I haven't grown either of them before, but I googled them and they both sound great. I am hard up for tomatoes this year. There is a little greenhouse here in Brighton that I have been buying tomatoes from for about 10 years. They are gallon pots and almost 2 feet tall. Two years ago the price was $4.00 each. Last year they went up to $6.50. This year they want $8.00 each. Too rich for me! I might have to venture into starting my own next year. It was great while it lasted and I knew the prices would go up eventually, but $8.00 each! Boooo!

Thanks everyone for sharing with me I will bring lots of flowers!
    ~Cat

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

Cat, Isn't it crazy how expensive things get sometimes? I remember the year that I had just gotten everything planted, and then we had a 20 minute sustained hailstorm, and EVERYTHING had to be replaced with nursery plants. I think I spent almost $400, and I got the LITTLE buggers! The only one I got in the gallon pot was a grafted one that died in two weeks from some weird disease :O

I'll have plenty of tomatoes--they won't be in gallon pots, as I just potted them up last night, some into 3" and some into 4" pots, but I can personally attest that they'll grow fast and that they'll catch up and produce when everything else seems to. I'm always amazed at that--no matter what size the plant is when it goes in, the "late bloomers" seem to work extra hard and catch up by harvest time (although, with no greenhouse, my first "pick" is always later than those who are in the running for July tomatoes). I'm going to have quite an unusual selection this year, as I had some older seeds that I had collected for several years, including some that I got from the wintersown ppl and I wanted to see what would spring up--well, LOTS did, so there's quite a wild variety.

I hope to start moving them out this weekend and begin hardening them off--I'd sure like to have that completed by next weekend for everyone!

• kvenkat
    9 years ago

Mayberrygardener, I guess you got my email address?

• kvenkat
    9 years ago

Amy,
    I am willing to stop by your place and drop off the Chinese evergreen and take your plants with me to the swap. Let me know.

• catnohat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I am plant sitting for Skybird and I have to say, I am a little nervous about it! I have all of her swap plants as well as her personal babies. Things look pretty good considering they had to spend a couple days in my basement last weekend. However, I seem to have killed (well, one is hanging on by a thread) 3 of her 6 zinnias. I do not know what color or kind but I thought I would see if anyone has any extra zinnias that they could set aside for Skybird. She is always so generous with her plants, time and knowledge I would like to have a couple replacements for her. For some reason zinnias don't like me. I always seem to kill them so there is no guarantee that I won't kill the rest of them for her!

Thanks,
    ~Cat

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

Hi guys, here's a list I came up with(prolly longer than it should be!!) from the plants everyone had on offer that I'd like to have:

ginnytrcka - strawberries (or anyone else that has them! The more the merrier, we love berries!)

catnohat - snapdragons, yellow daylillies (the husband, aka the flower guy, would die for these)

chellersm - eggplant, bell pepper

gjmancini - lambs ear, lily of the valley

luckybottom - cinnamon basil, citrus basil, thai basil, chocolate mint, lemon balm

I'm not sure what all is not yet spoken for, so I just listed what I saw that I'd like to have. I understand I chimed in a little late, so I completely understand getting last dibs lol.

If anyone has a Marionberry, I would love to get a hold of one. I haven't been able to find any around. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, would be super. Thanks!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

You're killing my plants, Cat??? O! M! G!

ROFL!!!

I'm glad you posted that before I go incommunicado tomorrow! Like I said when I left them there, if something dies it's no big deal! Now! If all the SWAP plants die, you'll have the "attendees" to deal with! No big problem from me! :-D

First of all, with the zinnias, nobody needs to try to replace them, even if they do die. I just started a few to stick here and there in the yard--no real Garden Design going on here! But if you're having a problem, with the zinnias, or anything else, my recommendation is to let them dry pretty much all the way (like 98%) before you water them again, and if there's a problem, maybe don't soak them totally when you do water them like I usually recommend, just water them enough that all the soil is "moist," but not totally saturated, if that makes any sense to you! And if they die, they die! I'll live--even if a few of the plants don't! (And I don't know what color they are either--it was a mix!)

And keep this in mind! If you hadn't been willing to take care of them for me they ALL would have died! So it sounds to me like you're doing a pretty good job! Please, please don't freak out or feel bad if some of them die. I kill plants too!

And since I'm posting here, email me if you want me to come get them from your house on the Friday before the swap if you won't have room enough in your vehicle for everything. I won't get it till I get home, but if you don't email before I get home there won't be time to make the arrangements for me to get them before Saturday. I will be checking email on Thursday, but I don't know when--but it definitely won't be till mid evening or later!

Breaking all contact with The People of Earth tomorrow,
    Skybird

• catnohat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just the Zinnias!...and maybe a basil...

Have a great time Skybird!

• amester
    9 years ago

Cat, I'm waaay down south so it's probably not worth the drive down since the swap is up north. No one's really needed anything of mine (other than a lily of the valley for mayberry) so I'm OK if mayberry is.
    Anyone can also email me if they want to stop by and dig something up at my house.
    See you at the fall swap!
    Amy

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

Ooh, mayberrygardener, a variety of interesting tomatoes? I'm interested! I know that even the little ones catch up and are quite productive by the end of the season.

lisaluwho: A tomatillo or two, please? Any advice about getting them to set fruit in Colorado? I've had healthy plants but zero tomatillos the last two summers.

luckybottom: Foxgloves? If you have extras, I would be happy to take one or more.

Amester: I'm sorry you won't be able to attend! I'll e-mail about digging up your yard.

Another offering: I have a pineapple sage. I can take a few cuttings if someone wants to get them rooted and started.

They are somewhat tender perennials(zone 8 or so) so will need to be over-wintered indoors. They have pretty red flowers. However, the blooms are triggered by daylength and don't start until late in the summer. Last year, they started to bloom just before frost. Needless to say, frost will kill the blooms. The leaves are usable all summer. It is easy to pot up the plant and bring it indoors, or take cuttings to have indoors for the winter. The plant I have has been inside all winter.

Skybird: I will bring lavender ice plant if I can figure out which it is. Mine are still semi-dormant and not looking too vigorous. If I don't get it now, I'll mark it when it blooms and bring you some for the fall swap.

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

Okay, I'm about to start a NEW thread with the details of who I have confirmed is coming, so you can head over there (it'll probably be later tonight, Saturday night) and make sure your name is on the list, and then I'll be sending the email. If you find your name NOT on the list and you plan on attending, you'll know that you need to contact me ASAP!

Amester, I totally understand if you end up not attending--you do have a bit of a hike! I'll just have to take first dibs on any that DO make it! Ooh, I do love those, and I sure miss mine!

kvenkat, yes, I got your email address, you'll be getting the group email in a little bit!

polygonum, if I remember right, you ALWAYS make off with about a zillion tomato plants, and this year you'll have quite a variety to choose from--I'm seriously debating not keeping a couple because I have TWENTY NINE VARIETIES planted, including tomatillos. Holy camole, WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!

Okay, off to put together the group email!

• lkcrawford
    9 years ago

We're getting close and I'm starting to tag off plants. I just want to confirm that these are the only "promises" I have:

Cat: 2 cherry toms, pear tom, better boy, zebra, pineapple tom

Polygonum: 2 tomatillos
    (the secret to fruiting tomatillos is you need more than one plant - they don't pollinate themselves very well - you might get one or two but not a very good crop without having multiple. Otherwise, they grow like weeds and produce like crazy!)

If I missed something on here, please let me know! Thanks!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

Ha, yes, I'm the orphan plant adopter, taking home plants that no one else wants. I often take a few tomatoes at the end of the swap, after the craziest of the free-for-all is over.

That's how I found out that Black Krim tomatoes are AWESOME! I'm always happy to try out new/more tomatoes. I save seeds from the non-hybrid plants most years, though I won't always save seed from something that is common or that I don't like all that much.

I do try to let everyone else have first dibs.

Thanks for the hints on how to get tomatillos. You're right -- I probably only had one, since they've been hard to find locally for some unknown reason. I used to get zillions of tomatillos years ago when I grew them from seed and thus had several in the garden at a time.

catnohat: If you have extra oriental poppies, may I have one? I don't think the one I got from you last time has survived the winter. It hasn't emerged yet. I will fully understand if you don't wish to entrust your precious poppies to a confirmed poppy-murderer like me.

If anyone wants some of skybird's sedums (and if Skybird isn't bringing cuttings), I can bring some cuttings of those: pachyclaidos, tri-color, dragon's blood, angelina, blue spruce, coral carpet. I also have plenty of amester's white yarrow, plus yarrow volunteers of unknown colors (probably pale pink) that have been sprouting up in my yard.

Also, I have a butterfly bush I don't like very much. It is either peach cobbler or blueberry cobbler. I can dig it up and bring it to the swap if someone wants it.

• iluvamaranth2014
    9 years ago

Hi Lisaluwho,
    I'd like a betterboy, a zebra and a pineapple tom, please?

You'd also mentioned you had eggplant? Could I get one of the eggplants as well?

Thanks!

I have some emerald and burgundy okra plants. they are still quite tiny. I hope to bring about 3 of each to the swap.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Seems like a few people are bringing basil - if there are any left not spoken for, I'd love to have a couple.

Things I will most likely bring are:
    chocolate mint, fleabane, Pulmonaria,flowering lambs ear. May have a few other things, but will have to wait and see what I have time to pot up.

• kvenkat
    9 years ago

Amy,
    Did you want me to stop by ?
    Pls see my post above made on 16 May.

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Lisaluwho,

Yes I will definitely try a San Marzano sounds what I'm looking for =). Also, do you still have any Pineapple Tomatoes left? if so I'd love to try that variety as well! As for the Salvias and the Daylilies (i believe they maybe a dwarf variety tho) This sounds strange but like I said b4 I'm a total newbie "is it to late in the season to divide the plants up to bring to the swap"?? I've never tried to bring divided starts somewhere, (most times I divide to move somewhere right away in the yard) :). As for the grass you are talking about, we have two ornamental grasses they are "Karl Foerster" Feather Reed Grass, they look like wheat in the fall (big gold wheat tassels) about waist high last year, every year they are getting bigger in diameter and height limit I think is 20" round and 5 feet tall (I had to move a bunch of Coneflowers this year before they got suffocated b/c the grass is doing SO well. =) If I can get advice on how to bring some, they are yours... if your still wanting them =) Here are two pics, one is a link on the type of grass and how they look late summer (in wheat form). The picture posted below is how they look out front a week ago (my pic) =). Let me know what you think..Thanks!!

Veronica

Here is a link that might be useful: Feather Reed Grass or Wheat Grass

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

Garner; I have marked for you, cinnamon basil, citrus basil, thai basil, chocolate mint & lemon balm.

PT: not looking good for the foxglove, they are maybe 1/4" tall and not growing much. Maybe next year there will be some self seeded ones.

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

Wow, we're still "dibbing" and we're running out of time! I keep remiding myself, there will be lots of stuff there, so if you don't get something pre-dibbed, then we'll have a couple rounds of first picks, which is where you are almost guaranteed to get at least several of what you're REALLY wanting. I'm just not even sure what I'm going to want this year, besides what I've already dibbed! Hubby and I were just discussing that we're going to have to find homes for the rhubarb and horseradish... I think I know where I ultimately will want them, but it's in an area where one of the three "weed jungles" is that we haven't tackled yet, and I sure don't want to put them out there until we get some of that under control! Oh, for-10-years-we-let-it-go garden beds... and the lovely folks selling it ran a rototiller last summer so we have quadruple the weeds!

As a reminder: you can also bring seeds to trade (outside of the plants being swapped) if you have some that you don't want anymore. And I think basils are quick enough that even if you plant them from seed now, you'll have plenty for caprese when that first tomato is harvested!

polygonum, I'm not familiar with butterfly bush, but if it will attract monarchs, I'd definitely like to try it! It may have to go into a pot until we get some of the beds under control, I have some gallon pots and also some 2 (or 3?) gallon ones as well. If it'll fit? If not, I can rig something up. Thanks!

I will have some tomatillos for the swap, and I have at least two in each pot. They're pretty hardy like tomatoes--you can take a serrated knife right down between the two plants, bury them deep, and they'll recover just fine. I concur with lisaluwho, you have to have (at least) two (DANG, that was a cute rhyme *wink*) to have production, but when you do, LOOK OUT! Those things are like weeds!

This post was edited by mayberrygardener on Mon, May 19, 14 at 10:37

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Ohhh I have seeds =) Kept at the correct storage conditions I can bring some of those =) BTW do we still need plastic spoons, forks, knives? If so I can bring some just let me know.

Veronica

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Hi All,

Here is a list of things I am interested in or looking for still: Looking for maybe some heirloom/specialty type tomatoes Wanted to try Black Krim, the Pineapple, Cherokee Purple or the other variety like it but better & Amish Paste. I am interested in Sweet/Bell Peppers (i cant take the heat, but love sweet ones), herbs, Perennial/annual flowers I just LOVE. I dont have much to swap but do have some Salvias, Dwarf Yellow Daylilies (i believe dwarf variety ;), Shallots, (all my platns are in bloom in the ground, so not sure how to get the starts, but if you can tell me how your welcome to them or maybe next year I will be more prepared. I will bring a variety of seeds with e to the swap. =) Thanks, cant wait to see everyone!!

Veronica

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

I love tomatillos, so will look forward to finding the secret to get mine to set fruit.

I concur on seeds. I got too busy this spring and never started any, but it's still not too late to start tomatoes, basil, and some of the other long-season, frost-sensitive veggies.

In fact, I will have very few rooted things at this swap. As usual, I am happy to bring cuttings of easily-rooted things of anything that someone requests. I will pot up and bring some things for the general swap part of the event, though in the past, sometimes they come right back home with me.

Mayberrygardener: I will happily dig up the butterfly bush for you. It's just starting to sprout for the year, so I'll cut back last year's branches and put it in a pot. It can live in a pot for a while. The plant is in an area where I'm fighting difficult weeds, so I don't promise that it will be entirely weed free.

It definitely attracts all kinds of butterflies, and also hummingbirds. The scent is really nice. For me, it starts blooming in mid summer and continues through late summer to early fall if I deadhead.

I cut back the previous year's growth in spring. It blooms on new growth and will definitely resprout from the roots even if cut back hard. Some people cut it back in the fall. I prefer to wait until spring. If you deadhead while it's blooming, it will often continue to set new flowers for the rest of the season. The first flush is the best, of course.

I love butterfly bushes. But for some reason, I'm not crazy about the flowers on this one.

A warning about horseradish: It spreads and it is invasive.

Luckybottom: Thanks for giving me the heads-up on the foxglove. No worries.

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

I'm wondering if any folks will be bringing spare pots? I am always short on those it seems since all my gardening has to be done in pots for now. Here's to hoping! :D

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Ok I'm confused "Polygonum" Im still a little new to gardening, ive only done it about 2 years now. Out of those 2 yrs I've always bought nursery starts. Well someone told me that it's to late to start tomatoes/peppers from seed. You see I have some nice varieties I wanted to try (nothing rare, just some I've never had that most people have :] ) Anyways the person said it was to late to start them from seed. Is that correct (its to late to start by seed) or cat I plant the ones i wanted?? thank you, yet agian for everyone lo

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

It's rather late for peppers, but I don't think it's too late for tomatoes. Start them soon and keep them warm so they sprout and grow quickly. Yes, you'll transplant them when they're small. They won't be quite as early as transplants that were started earlier, but they should still produce nicely.

It's worth a try. What do you have to lose it if doesn't work? Have you ever had volunteer tomato plants? Those often don't sprout until late May or June, and those usually produce. You could even try direct sowing tomato seeds if the soil is warm enough. (A cloche, perhaps, until the plant is established?)

If you have your heart set on growing peppers from seed, especially hot peppers, you can start them now, grow them outside all summer, and bring them back indoors in the fall. Some of the best hot peppers I've ever eaten came from plants brought indoors. The plants were stressed and unhappy, and that made the peppers very flavorful and hot. But it is rather late to get any sweet peppers going if you want a harvest before fall.

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

Veronica, I can mark both a black krim and a Cherokee purple for you, just be advised that they won't be as big as some that other folks might be bringing. I always get lots from them even when they start out this size, tho. I second what polygonum says said about starting tomatoes, if you're going to, do it soon. I generally get some seeds for the following year when I get anything at the swap, tho, so you might just pick up some seedlings at the swap for this year, and if anyone has interesting seeds then you can plan on them for next year. Or, as poly said, you can always plant them this season, you've only got a few seeds to lose! I have been teaching a rookie gardener friend at work who planted an entire tray of seeds, and not a single one popped up. She thought it was a failure, I said nope, you learned what didn't work, welcome to gardening!

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Thank you both for the advice, I love this forum everyone is so helpful. Your right on the volunteer tomato plants, they dont come up til about now so tht makes sense :) Mayberry thank you for the saves of the BK & CP I appreciate it, I'd love to try those! :)

• chellers
    9 years ago

Okay, I’m late making my own dibs, but I finally made my way through this entire post! Here is what I would love to put dibs on, if it is still available… NO worries if not!

mstywoods -- Pulmonaria
    Mayberry Gardener -- " Grape hyacinths
    catnohat -- snap dragons and bachelor buttons
    luckybottom -- I would love the Autumn Joy if you have it, Lemon Balm and cinnamon (or any) basil
    lisaluwho -- Berries
    katgardener -- Jack Frost Brunnera

I am bringing the following. I’ve made this list just from perusing the thread, so no worries if you don’t want an earmarked one, it’s all potted up to bring anyway! Feel free to reject anything…. (disclaimer) this is my first year starting veggies from seed and my tomatoes got a little leggy when I ran out of room under the lights, and then a little sunburned since they’ve now been hardening off in the garden for a couple of weeks (sigh) … next year I need more grow lights!

--iceplant (hot pink/purple-ish) for Mayberry Gardener
    --super sweet 100 tomato and a bell pepper for Catnohat
    --black krim tomato and a bell pepper for Polygonum_tinctorium
    --black krim tomato for Mstywoods
    --tomato for LizinElizabeth
    --bell pepper and eggplant for GarnerGarden
    --tomato for Vlselz (I have a Juliet tomato, which is not heirloom but is basically a roma type, I believe, it’s my first time growing them)

That is all my bell peppers, but I have more Juliet, Rutgers, and SS100 tomatoes that I can/will bring, and some eggplant (Louisiana long green, long purple, and Black Beauty).

I feel greedy enough with my earmarking, but I’m generally looking for anything that does well in part shade, any herbs, and any blue, purple or pink perennials. And, randomly, if anyone happens to have chocolate flower or winecups I’d be thrilled.

See you all on Saturday!
    -Michelle

• iluvamaranth2014
    9 years ago

Hi chellersm,
    Could I get a long green and long purple eggplant from you, please?

Thanks,
    iluvamaranth2014

• chellers
    9 years ago

Yep, absolutely!

• ginnytrcka
    9 years ago

Here's a summary of what I will tag up today:

Apple mint, oregano -- mayberrygardener
    oregano --kvenkat
    strawberries -- GarnerGarden
    pineapple mint, apple mint -- polygonum_tinctorium

The mints are up and running, so don't be shy if you still want some! The apple mint is especially easy to contain. It grows about 3 feet tall. It does send out runners like all mints, but they are easy to pull. The pineapple mint gets about a foot tall for me and is more aggressive than the apple mint, but not quite as crazy as the low growing glossy leaved mints. These are both 'fuzzy' leaved mints.

Plenty of oregano left, too.

The sweet woodruff is coming up gangbusters, so will pot if anyone wants, but if no requests will wait until fall.

Plenty of chives and lupines everywhere I can dig up. My kids and I read Miss Rumphius and must have gone wild with spreading the lupine seeds last year.

I have not tried growing tomatoes since our first year here when I had huge vines of green tomatoes ripening in the basement due to frost coming, but would love to put dibs on some of the interesting varieties you all are talking about if there are any left. Pineapple, purple, krim, pear...whatever.

I would also like a pulmonaria and a couple of tomatillos, if left.

Don't mean to be greedy, but coming from the Springs.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

I'll bring pulmonaria for you ginnytrcka and chellersm. Amester - I can bring you one to the fall swap. Just remind me!! Sorry you can't make it the the spring swap.

Chellersm - I won't be needing the Black Krim from you afterall. My DH broke down and bought several, and I also had success with my second batch of seeds. So I'm looking fine for tomatoes :) I may even bring a few of my BK seedlings to share - sounds like a few folks are interested in them.

Does anyone have any marigolds? I'd like to try planting some around the border of my flower garden to see if the smell deters the rabbits. I have seeds that I can start as well, but if anyone has a few already started, that would be super!

Marj

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

ginnytrcka: A lupine or two, please?

chellersm: Although I would be delighted to have a pepper, I am OK with someone else getting it if they are asking for one. On the other hand, do you have an extra sweet 100 tomato? No worries if you don't; I'm sure there will be other yummy tomatoes up for grabs.

I have a few perennials that are in the pink/purple family. They are things I got from others, so I might not be the only one bringing them. I'll show them to you, and if you don't want them, I can put them in the general pile.

mayberrygardener: Do you find the cherokee purple to be reasonable for our climate? They are quite yummy but I had worried they might be too long-season for us. If you have plenty, I would love to try one. No worries at all if other people get first dibs on them.

• catnohat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a list of what I am bringing for the "dibs" portion of our program:

Chocolate Nigella for ginnytrcka and lisaluwho.

Snapdragons for GarnerGarden and chellersm.

Poppies for polygonum tinct.

Daylillies for lisaluwho and GarnerGarden.

Bachlor buttons for chellersm.

Please let me know if I missed anyone. I should be able to bring extras unless there is a dying spree!

I also wanted to chime in and say that I am all for 4 or 5 rounds of organized picking of plants. I think we will have a big crowd so it will be more civilized! ;)

Thanks and can't wait!
    ~Cat

• lkcrawford
    9 years ago

Veronica,

I keep trying to email you directly, but apparently I'm incapable! :)

I'll set aside some pineapple and San marzanos aside for you! I'd love some salvia and daylillies! And Karl Forster grass too! I love that stuff - so pretty waving golden in the wind! It isn't necessarily too late to transplant - you could just wrap them in wet paper in a plastic bag and I'll put them in the ground Saturday night (my favorite Saturday night party!!). Or, you can put them in a pot and I'll give them a couple of weeks to develop a good root system before I put them in the ground. I'm good either way! Thanks so much!

Lisa

• lkcrawford
    9 years ago

Now, I'm serial posting :)

Mayberry: Very cute rhyme, good job :)
    Amaranth: Yup, tomatoes for you!
    Ginnytrcka: I have a pineapple and a pear for you. Is it too late to ask for some lupines? And maybe mint and strawberries?
    Polygonum: Do you still have any purple asters or ice plant left? If not, it sounds like a couple people are bringing some.

Thanks!
    Lisa

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

Does anyone want a sprouted Dark Green Zucchini? Mine sprouted way too many and i will be thinning those today. We just don't have enough friends for more than a couple of zucchini plants.

• kvenkat
    9 years ago

I will happily take a zucchini plant!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

lisaluwho: I have a very healthy clump of aster plants, so I will dug up at least one or two small plants for you. For the ice plants, I can bring fresh cuttings of a few different kinds. I know for sure which ones are the hardy yellow, fire spinner, and table mountain.

luckybottom: I would like try my luck with a few of your extra zucchini(s) if no one else speaks up. How hard are they to transplant?

Does anyone have coriander/cilantro seeds to share?

• chellers
    9 years ago

polygonum, I have cilantro seeds - I will try to remember to put some in a plastic baggie for you. I'm pretty sure I can do a SS100! (after all this rain during the week I've been hardening off my veggies, some are looking really sickly, I think they are just waterlogged, but I'm hoping if my backyard escapes rain today they will perk back up - fingers crossed!)

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Lisaluwho, got your message will bring those to the swap for you, Did you ever have a chance to see if you had an extra Pineapple tomato avail for me? If not I understand Im sure everyone will get plenty at the swap!
    Also Chellersm: after a final look over at what we have that survived I am going to politely pass on your juliet grape tomatoes as we already have several grape varieties my Mom said we were good on. So thank you for the original offer =) Cant wait to meet you all Sat, I may be closer to arriving at 12 though, I have a disabled son and his respite provider fell thru and my hubby is taking off work to help me. =)

• FlowerBelle
    9 years ago

Hi! I'm new to the Garden Forum/Rocky Mtn Gardeners, but recently learned of it from a friend. I would love to attend the swap tomorrow, but unfortunately am having trouble perusing the forum to find the time and location. Can someone help me out?

• chellers
    9 years ago

No worries vlslez!

Kellster, check out the "spring swap . . . Are you confirmed" thread and from there email MayberryGardener with your email address and she can send you the detailed info. It starts at 11ish in Arvada.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

I'm outside today digging plants for the swap. Some will be in pots. Others will be cuttings in baggies, for people to take a few or all that are in the bag. The cuttings should be easy to root. hopefully the potted stuff will survive.

I have:

Mayberrygardener -- a butterfly bush (Buddleia), either blueberry cobbler or peach cobbler. Do you need more sedum or sempervivums, because I can bring some if you do.

Luckybottom -- French tarragon

Lisaluwho -- skybird's Purple Dome aster, ice plant cuttings (hardy yellow, Fire Spinner, and Table Mountain)

Skybird -- what I am pretty sure is Psfave Lavender Ice ice plant, based on photos I took of my garden bed last year. There are cuttings from two plants. It is possible that one of them is Mesa Verde, but in the photo it sure looked like Lavender Ice. I'll also have pots, flats, etc., for you.

I also have the following, which can be claimed or which will go in the general offerings:

1 golden oregano, similar to regular oregano, but lighter in color, in a pot. (I can probably get a few more small pots of this if there is demand)

1 baggie with two cuttings of Persicaria affinis aka Himalayan fleeceflower. This is a groundcover. It has small flower spikes in mid to late summer, and the leaves turn red in the fall. the cuttings already have small rootlets, similar to Ajuga, so it should be easy to establish and keep under control. I can get more cuttings of this if there is interest.

1 pot of amester's white yarrow. This is vigorous and easy to establish. I can bring more if anyone wants any.

at least 1 pot of skybird's purple dome aster. I can bring more if there is interest. I am not the only one who will have this tomorrow.

a few baggies of Angelina sedum cuttings. this was originally from skybird. I can easily get more if people want more.

at least 1 baggie of Coral Carpet sedum cuttings, again from skybird. this is easy to establish. It's not too obnoxious, though. Again, I can easily bring more cuttings.

at least 1 baggie of hardy yellow ice plant cuttings. If there is interest, I can bring at least 1 baggie of table mountain and/or fire spinner ice plant cuttings

2 sempervivums that are not originally from skybird. Skybird gets first dibs on these since she seems to be the Keeper of the Sempervivum Collection. One of them is called Emerald Empress. The other is deep red right now; it was part of a pot of mixed sempervivums I bought at the Colorado Springs Zoo plant sale a while back.

Plus whatever other plants or cuttings follow me to the swap tomorrow.

If there is interest, I can take cuttings of Blue Spruce sedum, tri-color sedum, pachyclaidos sedum, and dragon's blood sedum. All are originally from skybird, and she might well be bringing bags of these as cuttings to the swap tomorrow.

If there is interest, I can bring cuttings/starts from houseplants -- aloe aristata, an unknown aloe hybrid that looks similar to but probably isn't aloe black gem, haworthia (either attenuata or fasciata), euphorbia trigona (African milk tree), pineapple sage (which can be outside all summer), and maybe Kolanchoe pumila.

Serpent Moon and I are looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow! I don't know if I'll have anyone else with me.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Polygonum, I would LOVE to have a couple new kinds of semps that I don't have to pay for to add to my "collection!" Thank you for offering them to me!

I'm not bringing sedum or semps this time. Just don't/didn't have time! Drove home in the rain all the way from Fairplay yesterday, and then drove into RUSH HOUR in Denver! Was about to pull my hair out! What is it with me and RAIN! Last year I drove all the way home in the first serious day of The Denver Floods! That was even worse than this year!!!

Having said that, I am bringing a few different semp starts for Mayberry, which she requested in her very first post on this thread! There are perks for volunteering to be the hostess! Also have three kinds of sedum cuttings for her, but you might want to bring some 'Dragon's Blood', 'Angelina', and S. pachyclados for her. I almost killed my 'Angelina' late last fall, and something similar with my 'Dragon's Blood' and pachyclados! They're both VERY small right now and they just need time to get going again!

Thanks for bringing the Lavender Ice for me! If there are two different things, I'll figure it out when they bloom. The person I originally got the Lavender Ice from didn't have a clue what it was, but most of them are pretty easy to figure out when they bloom!

Have to go! Still need to come up with some food to bring, and need to run up to Cat's later to pick up my plants again so she'll have room in her car for her stuff!

Will see you all tomorrow! I may be asleep, but I'll be there!

Skybird

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

Ok, skybird, the semps are yours!

Did you want some cuttings of Angelina, Dragon's blood, or pachyclados to get yours going again?

I'll bring a few cuttings of each for our Fearless Hostess.