SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musarojo

Moving to Arizona

musarojo
17 years ago

I will be moving in November. I am taking a few of my smaller plumeria with me. I will also take a cutting of my unnamed white. ItÂs a compact grower that quickly branches at short interval lengths into a rounded leafy mass of tips; itÂs an outstanding producer of inflos and smells so good I canÂt bear to be without it. It is one of the few I canÂt easily replace. Most of my plants are in huge pots and would need to be received by a greenhouse at this time of year. I will give them to friends of mine who share my passion for these plants. It is important to me that they go to good homes.

What is mind blowing to me is how many of my neighbors have approached me and offered to buy my plants. My plumeria have been the sensation of my neighborhood this year. In my present climate, plumeria are easy plants that only require a little fertilizer and a well draining soil. I will type up instructions for my neighbors on how to purchase and root cuttings in order to avoid paying $100 OR MORE FOR A DECENT SIZE PLANT. I kid you not, unless you buy a tiny barely rooted stick from a big box store, this seems to be the going rate here.

Next year, I will be the one posting questions and confused about what to do next. I already have a few questions for those of you in climates just outside the plumeria zone. Where I am moving, there are only a few critical weeks with temperatures that would kill unprotected plants. Of course I am having fantasies about black plastic to warm the soil and pop up greenhouses during these critical weeks to protect plants planted in the ground. Does this sound reasonable, or am I seriously deluded? If I canÂt count on each plant to bloom every year, what is the usual percentage of small permanently potted plants that bloom in a given year?

MusaRojo (who has to learn all over again how to care for plumeria) :-(

Comments (8)