SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

More Bonchis!

Edymnion
11 years ago

Okay, I swear I put this up earlier, but I don't see it now. Not even after running the search, so here it is again. Apologies if the other thread suddenly shows up after this one.

I've got several pepper bonsai (bonchis) in the works that I don't want to clutter up my other threads with, I figured I'd give them their own thread here. Most of them are freshly cut so they don't look like much right now, but they should fill out nicely later on.

Uba Tuba Cloud Tree Bonchi:

Cut back from my uba tuba pepper that I hadn't expected to make a bonchi out of, but as you can see it grew in too nice a shape not to. This is my largest bonchi to date, and I am making into into a cloud tree with three staggered cloud layers. As you can see from the pic, the layers aren't staggered very evenly, but thats where the growth nodes were at, so thats where I cut it. I'll try to wire it to move the clouds up and down a bit to give the illusion of more even spacing.

Sweet Banana Lollipop Bonchi:

This one is cut back from my sweet banana pepper this year. Again, wasn't intending to make this one a bonchi, but the stem grew nice and thick that hey, why not? Nothing particularly interesting about the stem other than it's thickness, so probably going to just make a traditional lollipop top to it.

Mystery Fog Bank Bonchi:

This one is the pepper I bought from a nursery labeled as a "Ghost Pepper" that I severely topped early on as an experiment. Whatever it is, it wasn't a bhut, and I don't think it was any kind of naga (fairly large red pods, medium heat at best, but didn't look like bhut or naga pods to me). Anyway, topped it very early to force it to radiate out branches, let that grow up some, chopped it back again. Gave it a quick trim before taking the picture this time. Going to go for a low oblong cloud shape on it.

Not pictured yet are my Black Pearl and some of my grafting experiments. I intend to make bonchi out of those, but right now they're producing pods and I don't want to chop them back until they're done.

Comments (48)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Looking good. I am thinking I may have to do ONE. Aside from my overwinter plants anyway.
    Bruce

• simsedward
    11 years ago

Looking good...and inspiring me to give it a try again. What made you decide to cut them down and start the process so early? Just curious, not critical...

• Related Discussions

WIP: Skull Mountain Bonchi

Q

Comments (20)
    It depends on what I intend to do with them. Some bonchi I make are really just fun ways to overwinter my favorite peppers so I can put them back out in the garden again come spring. Those I leave in potting soil and small containers. "Finished" bonchi that won't be going back out in the yard (like this one) I will put in a bonsai soil. My bonsai soil tends to contain more organics than normal, usually a .66/.33 of fired clay and orchid mix. Not quite sure how I'll fill the inside of the mountain on this one yet though.
    ...See More

Reaper Bonsai Project

Q

Comments (19)
    Zone 6 "indoors only" :) Your post explains why mine are maxing out at 2 years. Will be planting again shortly, but with the next batch will refrigerate one small pot, December - March, to see what happens. A minimum 3 year project. As you can see from the older photo (this was in the EU where I had perfect south-east exposure with windows around the entire room. It was a magnificent apartment for light), numerous seeds started in a small container produce a very bushy end-product. The roots are very fine and over-crowding never seemed to bother them. These were planted in 6 down and 8 across rows. I will sometimes remove a few that are being squeezed out.
    ...See More

Red Bhut Bonchi Experiment

Q

Comments (37)
    Looking good Alynne. Which varieties did you decide to try out? I'm always a bit nervous to cut all the leaves off, but they don't seem to mind. Here's another Tabasco I cut down last week. I did leave the little shoots down at the base, but it was otherwise bare. Here's a Serrano I started last week. It's already got a bunch of new growth... And here's an update on the first Tabasco. Not sure if/when I'll trim those bottom sprouts. I like the bushy look. No update on the Red Bhut. The fireants really did a number on the roots, apparently, as the plant got a bit pale and really hasn't grown much. It's starting to green up again though so it's back on track.
    ...See More

Few pics of some sprouts

Q

Comments (18)
    It is actually a really large storage container that had holes already in it, but that doesnt matter. I am using a mix of pine bark, as well as organic compost (store-bought) and some of my own compost.
    ...See More
  • Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heh, they're like Pringles. You can't pop just one!

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sim:
    Two reasons mostly.

1) They had finished their first big fruit set and ripening with nothing else setting in the mean time. Some peppers set in waves, others set continuously. These both appear to be wave setters. The plants were also looking fairly worn out by this point as well. They needed to be pruned back to kickstart new growth anyway, and by the time they would have recovered, set new pods, and ripened it would be near the end of the season.

2) I'm growing some fall crops this year (got broccoli romanesco growing where the corn was, potatoes where my tomatoes were, and probably going to have some garlic where these peppers were, plus whatever I find at the nursery soon as the fall stock comes in). Limited grow space means I'll be re-using the same garden plot for the fall crops that will be going in over the next couple weeks.

So combination of my "well, lets give these a try just to see what they do" peppers having basically finished and needing the space for something else meant that I was fine with cutting them back early.

My Bhuts are still in the ground, as are my Butch T's. Those get to stay until it gets cool enough for frost to be a real issue. My pinot noir peppers are also ripening fruit still, so they're still in the ground as well.

The sweet red cherry stayed sickly and stunted the whole season, all the leaves fell off, and the stem was too spindly to be worth making a bonchi out of, so I just pulled it and tossed it on the compost pile.

• richiebaker1245
    11 years ago

Hi, I've never tried over wintering, wasn't even aware that I could until I stumbled across this site. I have 13 plants and am going to try to do them all, just for my own little experiment. If all fail, I have lost nothing because I usually let them die. Normally I dread winter, because it's the end of my gardening. I'm now looking forward to it, to see if I can keep my babies alive, and have a good head start next spring! Will update on my progress in a couple of months...

Rich.

• simsedward
    11 years ago

EDY-
    Good thinking! Thanks for the info/tips. I killed both of the ones I tried last season...What type of soil medium do you pot them up in?
    Rich-
    Overwintering is easy if you avoid the Aphids! I love it.

• richiebaker1245
    11 years ago

That's one thing, if I put them on my kitchen window sill, I don't want a house full of aphids. I can put them in my garage, but that means rigging up a light and buying a heater - money and hassle.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Richie - My advise would be when you get ready to bring them inside for the Winter, you prune the tops (a lot), bare root them and wash away as much of the old soil as possible, trim the roots back, and repot into smaller pots using fresh mix.

Also, pick up some insecticidal soap to have on hand for when you need it. Even with all the cleaning and repotting, there is still a pretty good chance you'll need it for something. But, if you catch them early, it's not a big deal.

• richiebaker1245
    11 years ago

Thanks tsheets, I have read a lot of posts about over wintering and insecticidal soap. What exactly is insecticidal soap, and will I be able to buy it in the UK? At the moment I use bug clear for fruit & veg. I've had a couple of aphids and 1 sort of caterpillar that munched a few holes, but nothing major, my roses were covered in the bloody things.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Richie, I have no idea if you can get it in the UK, but, I would be surprised if you couldn't. Some folks mix their own, for the small quantity I have needed I just buy it. I can get it at Wal Mart, Lowes, etc... It's pretty common around here. I believe it's just soapy water (probably with some extra stuff mixed in for uniformity/coverage) , but, from what I've read, there is a difference between "soap" and "detergent", which is what most products on the market are these days. Rather than guess, I just take the easy way out and buy it and know I got the right stuff! :-)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

richie:

Google "homemade insecticidal soap." Plenty of info on how to make your own and what ingredients to use.

Her's a couple links that I found to be helpful for pest/disease control using homemade remedies:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/organic/2002081329023823.html

http://www.ghorganics.com/page14.html

Kevin

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My bhut jolokia. Its my oldest pepper (this one is finishing up it's second season), so its a little gnarlier than the others. It'll get cut back for bonchi/overwintering again this year too. When its done making me weaponized fruit, that is. This one stays in the ground until frost time.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

That's a pretty gnarly old guy! Be interesting to see what you make of him!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Hey, Edymnion,
    Do you cut that back all the way to a bare stump. It looks to me like that one was cut back to about a single 6" stump last year. Last year was my first year and I cut mine back to two or three branchings up. Here is a photo of my Hot Hungarian Wax just after trimming for overwintering. It sure looks like yours came back strong after trimming it way back.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    11 years ago

That's almost exactly how mine look when I bring them in for the Winter, Bruce!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

OK. Do you wait for a frost or do you cut them back, re-pot and bring them in before they experience a freeze?
    Bruce

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I don't let them frost/freeze on purpose. One time I didn't get them covered or hauled in. Some I cut back earlier than others depending if I am waiting for more fruit to ripen. I hope we still have a couple months before worrying about that!! haha!

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup, what you did looks fine for overwintering. I'm convinced that you could cut a pepper down virtually to the ground and it would still spring back.

If you look real close at the third picture in the original post, you'll notice the bushy one's stem stops about 2 inches from the soil line. Wasn't kidding when I said I was brutal in how hard I topped it.

They'll spring right back from it, no problems at all.

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not really a bonchi, more of my first attempt at merging two different peppers together (a bhut and a regular scorpion):

Looking nice and healthy, I think. Long as it keeps doing well, I'll probably end up cutting it back as a bonchi in the end. Still watching those stems to see how well they fuse.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Can't really tell how much they have fused yet. Are they indeed "Joined" right now? And do they still have two root systems or have you cut off one of the root systems?
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bottoms of the stems are definitely fused, not sure about the middle. And they each still have their own root systems. Wasn't trying to graft one onto the other (although I may try doing that sooner or later), and by now the roots are so intertwined they might as well be one set.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

My first attempt, was one of my magical Bhuts that somehow turned into a red hab(I think) either way pulled all but 2 peppers off it that weren't red and decided to chop it... I may wire part of it but who knows if it'll grow back.

I chopped the roots and moved it to a smaller container

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome looking roots on it.

If you want to make a cool bonsai out of it, I'd remove that bottom branch entirely (break it off at the trunk). Looks like you've got a nice thick fat main trunk, which is perfect for this stuff. Might want to thin the branches out even more, try to get a more minimalist shape to it.

Think of it this way, whatever you leave now will the main trunk and limbs. It'll grow lots and lots of new smaller limbs when it fleshes back out, so don't worry about needing to leave lots of limbs now.

Also, watch where your growth nodes are on the limbs. Should be pretty easy to spot them, they're where the plant already has put out leaves or other stems (new stuff will sprout from the elbows of those junctions). Anything between that node and where you cut the stem will be wasted (it won't grow any new nodes along those lengths), so you can trim back to just above the nodes without any worry. Actually helps to do that, as the plant won't put much energy into maintaining stems with no leaves on them, and that makes it easier for a fungus or mold to get a foothold (which will kill the entire plant if you don't catch it fast).

All in all, just picture it right now as a dead tree as seen from a distance. Only the biggest, most important limbs should be left, the ones that make it look the most interesting. The rest you should prune back.

Again, don't be afraid to hack the daylights out of these things, they will spring back with twice the vigor they had before.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

So I ended up chopping it more(too dark to photo) but most of it was cut at the nodes except the two in the picture but I removed both those...

Do you have any good.tips on building the roots up? Everything I'm finding is dealing with trees and cutting off the tap root

Thanks

-Chris

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Edymnion has done some cool things with exposing roots on pepper plants. He is definitely the one to ask for that kind of information. And he was right about pruning that thing back. You could whack it off just above that first main node (V shaped branching on left side of your photo. And cut all the other branches off at the stem and it would grow back strong. I whacked a few plants last fall for overwintering and they immediately started growing back so I whacked them even further back. This year they came back strong once they got outside. Here is a photo right after I whacked one of my Hot Hungarian Wax Peppers last fall. Notice how I pruned it just above the nodes as Edymnion suggested.
    Bruce

• homefry319
    11 years ago

I grabbed a photo this morning after the big chop... after it sets in I may screw with the roots some more

I have another unknown Im going to chop later this fall(its a scorpion of some kind spouse to be a bhut)

{{gwi:1202447}}

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That definitely looks better, and you'll be able to shape it into a nice bushy tree later on. Personally I would have chopped it back even further to right above that second split (so it would have the cool 3 pronged base and the growth nodes at the tips), but its fine the way it is. If you haven't done it before it really does feel like you're killing the plant, even though it will be just fine.

Just keep it in some shade for a couple days until it recovers, then just stick it back out in the sun with everything else. It will take a week or two of looking like its just sitting there half dead, then it will explode with new growth.

You've actually already got good roots there, and you're already doing the best thing to toughen them up, leaving them out in the sun.

Basically, just pull the dirt back away from the roots around the top but leave the ends down in the dirt. The roots exposed to the sun and air will lignify (get woody) and will slowly thicken up as they grow more feeding roots from the ends.

Its fairly slow going, will take months to really beef them up, but you've already got some nice ones on there. Just go ahead and water from a can to wash the dirt down away from them. The small feeder roots will either die back on their own or beef up on their own, so it'll do most of the work by itself for that.

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quicky update on my root bonsai, since it got mentioned here (and the other thread is becoming huge).

Its even getting some buds on it. Really late in the season to just now be getting flower buds, but I have been putting this poor thing through hell.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info Edymnion, the pictures actually a bit deceiving theres only two prongs just looks like a third(its actually coming of that node on the front prong)

either way I got bored(again) and decided to chop 1 of my jalapenos I had in a pot and then 1 of my unknowns

I do have other peppers that i started from seed a few weeks ago(purple flash/medusa/explosive ember) which Im going to bonsai once they get large enough

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, just in case you haven't seen it yet:
    Bonchi Guide

• homefry319
    11 years ago

yup Ive read that thing a bunch

heres the other three I did today(I may do a few more by end of season) but these are all peppers that arent doing anything for me as I dont sell em at market, 2 I dont know what are and the other is an heirloom jalapeno called travelers which produces pretty small pods

{{gwi:1202452}}

{{gwi:1202454}}

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those last two are going to be sweet. One thing though, that last one has new sprouts coming out of the base around that knot hole. Pinch those off, you don't want anything growing down there on the trunk. That'll help force it to grow from the top end more.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

yup they are gone(noticed after I shot the photo)

but that roots are why I decided to chop them, they are those unknown peppers I posted earlier, oddly enough my bhut clones have some really wicked roots as they were exposed but the trunks arent that think, I wont chop those until closer to frost....

the first photo(in the set or three) is the jalapeno it actually has thick roots as well but I cut to much off the bottom so Ill attempt to pull it up after it takes a bit

• GoldCone
    11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I was reading this thread about bonshis, and I remembered a very good website where a large section is dedicated to this subject (lots of pics).

This guy some of you surely know owns a big pepper farm (Fatalii)in Finland.

In addition to bonshis you have many more great sections and of course a very large choice of seeds as well.

Anyway here's the link, enjoy!

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

• hookilau
    11 years ago

@ Edy: duh, i just realized the skull/root bonchi pic I have in my head is yours :) It looks fantastic!!

@ Homefry: how were you able to pot up your bonchi with the exposed roots without having him fall over? Is he anchored into the pot somehow?

Antoinette

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@hookilau

the root balls are actually bigger than the pots I put them in, I went from a #5 nursery pot to like a #2(I think) so I actually had to cut roots off to make it fit, but its just carefully places so there still in the ground, they kind of float when I watered them at first theyre set not though

-Chris

• hookilau
    11 years ago

hmm. That's interesting. I have a few I'm planning to do a big chop on for overwintering & I'm trying to formulate my plan of action.

I'm kinda nervous :) Just as soon as me fruit ripens enough to pick I'll be looking to put him in a pot.

Antoinette

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just trimmed back my 3 tier cloud bonchi. The middle stalk was starting to get too many leaves on it that would have caused it's trunk to change shape. Trimmed back everything but just the tips to make the clouds out of.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

cool! I was wondering what the heck bonchis were, then I searched. I used to dabble in bonsai, but the negative was they are not indoor plants (that's why people always kill them), but these can be! Maybe I should try my hand at this.
    Pam

• lao
    11 years ago

http://s13.postimage.org/6ulgrijg7/photo_59.jpg
    Here are my bonchi naga morich. i have kept them in half litre cups and they seem to thrive, and produced lots of nagas

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Wow, those are productive, lao. You say they are indoors? What kind of light?

Do you prune the roots or just let them bind up? What soil/growing medium?

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seems I have another accidental bonchi candidate. My Trinidad Scorpion Butch T container plant has tons of pods on it that are just starting to ripen (seriously, I planted this thing at the start of the season and its just now giving me pods, talk about a LONG grow period!). At some point it got too heavy and fell over when I wasn't looking and apparently spent a week or two on it's side before I noticed, so it has grown sideways for a while now. And look what I got out of it.

Trimmed off some (large) branches that were growing in the wrong direction:

I just might get some kind of cool sideways bonchi out of this one. Which is good, because it'll mean I'll have a bhut bonchi, a butch T bonchi, and a douglah bonchi, all ready to get an early jump on next year.

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but I found a decoration that was just too awesome to pass up. Maybe I should really stop walking through the aquarium section at the store, but come on...

Its rather flat though, with that ledge over the statue's head. Would make growing something over it like I did with the mountain difficult. Maybe I can find something else (like a broken column) to actually grow the pepper over, and just have that in the background. Spread some sugar sand over the top of the dirt when I'm done to make a nice pepper tree in the desert diorama out of it.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Root it behind the wall, then bring the stem out between the column and statue.

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, knew I'd find something if I kept my eyes open.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Sounds like you need to be growing fish peppers. ;-) ;-)

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm starting to think I just have a thing for bonchis shaped like hands.

Thats my bhut I overwintered last year as a straight trunk. Now its a hand.

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its being a little slow to recover, what with the cooler weather and all, but its still alive.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company