SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katawil

Proposal for a separate Garden History forum

kategardens
18 years ago

Dear all: Some, but perhaps not all of the folks who stop by the Garden Restoration forum may have noticed the suggestion in the thread linked below to give the topic of Garden History its own forum. While the topic of "garden history" is encompassed in the description of the GR forum, there is a sense that without "garden history" in the title of the forum, many people with interest and relevant expertise are not necessarily finding it. By way of comparison, if one types "landscape design" into Google, the GW "Landscape Design" forum shows up in the first two pages of hits, whereas "garden history" did not produce a link to the Garden Restoration forum anywhere in the first 10 pages of hits. (I stopped counting).

The internet searching thing seems especially important with respect to this particular topic, given that many people with knowledge and interest in garden history (e.g., historians, architects, etc.) are not necessarily themselves gardeners who might otherwise be hanging out on GardenWeb.

Apart from the title, there has also been a sense that having forum content focused more exclusively on garden history issues would help both attract and retain individuals with actual expertise in the field. There have been a couple of instances over the past years where experienced garden historians have dropped by, but then left, because topics related to garden renewal (e.g., how do prune this? what should I plant next to this?) seemed to be dominating the discussion.

Speaking for myself, over time I've come to appreciate that that the discussions of 'history' and 'rejuvenation' can sometimes overlap in interesting ways -- there's a current thread started by Nandina that illustrates this principle well. But more often than not, it has seemed as though there are two almost completely separate strains of dicussion in the forum. So I don't see a major downside in splitting off, and giving a whole-hearted go at having a garden history forum.

Are there others out there that would support this notion? For additional background, see the thread linked below, particularly the last half or so. I thought it would be good to have a broader discussion before approaching GW managment with the idea.

Many thanks in advance for your comments -- Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Where are the history folk?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
More Discussions