SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmacdona1

Come Join Us - 4th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange !

hmacdona1
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

As a Canadian member, I am unable to post this note in the exchange forum. I do hope you'll be ok with me posting here as I wanted to extend this offer to the US and International gardenweb members as I did last year.

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed swap that will include members from a few different forums. I wanted to post this a bit early so you have time to collect seeds or place an order.

Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap (Note - they differ slightly from last year): color="#0000FF">

1) Seeds must be received by me no later than November 15th, so I recommend you mail your envelope no later than November 1st. For those in the US and overseas, you need to allow at least a couple of weeks for mail time.

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or unnamed bell peppers or anything like that. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties". If I receive anything like this, the seeds will be returned to you unless they are clearly marked as bonuses.

If you are sending hybrid seeds to exchange, only F1 seeds from a commercial source are acceptable. Your source for the F1 seeds must be clearly labelled on the envelope/seed packet. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please do your research online before mailing in your seeds.

2) A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 40 packets per person. Please stick to this limit. Every year there�s a few people that push past this limit and include a note that says "I hope it's ok - and by the way - I only want rare seeds in return"...LOL. Sorry folks, that will not work. It�s just not fair to everyone else. Bonus seeds are of course, more than welcome. I just ask that bonuses be clearly labelled as such.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP (Open Pollinated), or F1 hybrid seeds. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate on the packages if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well.

3) If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you want something different in return. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa, or any combination. I fully expect a large variety and volume of seed types to be able to accommodate this.

4) Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. It is very important to take the time to write out a list of what you are sending, otherwise I have to do it for you and I do not have time for that. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. In last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while. I do my very best to handle this swap fairly. I will post a separate note shortly listing the highly sought after varieties from last years swap, in case this helps those that are wondering what to send in.

5) You will need to mail your seeds inside a bubble envelope with a return label inside, along with the correct amount of return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. Return postage rates are as follows:

* If you live in Canada - $1.25 return postage stamps

* If you live in the US - $2.16 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)

* If you live outside Canada and US - $4.31 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)

All postage rates can be verified on the Canada Post website. For those outside of Canada, you will need to send enough funds to pay for return postage. You can either send concealed cash in the envelope or you could submit payment for postage via Paypal. Please DO NOT send stamps from your country. They will not work here in Canada :)

It's important that you send a regular bubble envelope and not the heavy cardboard insulated type. Weight restriction in this price category is 100g.

6) If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, PLEASE notify me immediately so we do not delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive. This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

7) I will email you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap. You must make sure that your gardenweb profile has your email address attached and it's visible to other members, so I can contact you. Please triple check this before signing up for this swap.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun exchanging seeds !!!!

Thanks��Heather

Please note - I will be out of town on business September 25th thru 29th and October 11th thru 15th and will not be responding to anyone during that time. color="#0000FF">

Comments (145)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'll take any of the watermelons you have available.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bonnie. Have added watermelons to your "wishlist".

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Come Join Us - 4th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (126)
    I just got my seeds in the mail today ... THANK YOU!!! The variety is astounding and I got just about all of my "really wants" for next summer, wow! Thank you to everyone who send in seeds and participated, it helps make this one of the best swaps around ... and a HUGE TREMENDOUS thank you to Heather. The amount of time and effort that you put into this is amazing, taxing I'm sure, but so much appreciated by all of us. Thank you for organizing this swap again and for taking the time to help make sure that we all get some of the seeds that we really really want, and a great variety of new ones to try as well! I wish I could send you something off your wishlist as a thank you, but I took a look and don't have any of them ... your wishlist in much the same as mine in some respects, lol! But I did want to let you know that they arrived, and to thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this!
    ...See More

HAVE: 3rd Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (75)
    I have envelopes packed and will be mailing seeds to the following individuals tomorrow morning: * dirtdaddy * phpete * roadkill * roper2008 * sambo725 * sproutshonor That's it for envelopes to be mailed back. Thanks everyone for your participation and for sending in such a great variety of seeds. Have a Merry Christmas everybody! ....Heather
    ...See More

HAVE: 5th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (86)
    Today (Dec 15th) I mailed seeds to: * fanatic79 * foodiefish * habjolokia * jaynine * lorabell * misterpatrick * naturemitch * penguinsrock09 * phpete * scorpionjohn * theloud * tinley244 PLEASE let me know when your envelopes arrive so I can update my records. That's the last of the envelopes from this forum. Have a very Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks....Heather
    ...See More

Come Join Us - 4th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (2)
    My seeds are there ---it is fun to get a surprise package in early winter. Thank you to hdmc for doing this every year.
    ...See More
  • dirtdaddy
    12 years ago

I'd like to try the Scarlet Prince beet! dd

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just posting the updated list of what's now available for bonus seeds. Coolbythecoast has graciously donated some more seeds. These new additions are marked with an *.

These are available to participants of this swap. There are very limited quantities of these, so here is how were going to do it:

1) Respond if interested and provide me with your top 6 picks, in order of preference. Please be specific. Do not respond, saying I am interested in any of the melons for example, as I will be dividing them up to those that responded with my specific instructions followed first. You will lose out if you are not specific. You can either respond by private message, or post here, it does not matter. I am going by time stamps on all responses, no matter what way you communicate with me. If you respond by email or private message, I will acknowledge receipt within a couple of days so you know it came through ok.

2) Preference for specific types will be given on a first come first serve basis, so you need to respond quickly.

3) I cannot guarantee you are able to get any of these seeds. It all depends on how many respond, and how quickly you respond, and how many individuals request the same seed. This is why I am asking you to identify your top 6 picks in order of preference, so your odds of getting something are higher.

4) I will post a periodic update as certain varieties are fully depleted.

5) PLEASE RESPOND NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 28th IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ANY OF THESE SEEDS.

Here is the list of bonus seeds:

Beet Detroit Dark Red, Medium Top
    Broad Leaf Batavian Endive
    Cucumber - Double Yield
    Eggplant - Black Beauty
    * Eggplant Fengyung Purple
    Eggplant - Goya Kumba
    Eggplant - Kecskemeti Lila
    * Eggplant Pingtung Long
    * Eggplant Rosa Bianca
    * Eggplant Slim Jim
    * Eggplant Snowy
    * Eggplant Kumari Sri Lanka
    Leaf Brocolli
    Love in a Mist (Purple flower)
    Melon - Mekti Painted Serpent
    Radish - China Rose
    Saisai Leaf Radish
    Spaghetti Squash
    Watermelon - Sugar Baby
    Watermelon - Sugar Lee
    Watermelon - Yellow Crimson

Thanks ..Heather

• neepeppers
    12 years ago

Hi Heather,

My seeds will be in the mail this week. I'm also interested in bonus seeds. My top six are...

Eggplant - Rosa Bianca
    Eggplant - Kumari Sri Lanka
    Eggplant - Fengyung Purple
    Eggplant - Goya Kumba
    Eggplant - Kecskemeti Lila
    Eggplant - Black Beauty

Thanks for all the work you're putting into this!

Stacy

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Spaghetti Squash and Love in a Mist are now gone.

• dirtdaddy
    12 years ago

Heather, here are my pick 6 bonus seeds pick:
    Radish- China Rose
    Radish-SaiSai Leaf
    Watermelon- Yellow Crimson
    Beet- Detroit Dark Red
    Eggplant-Slim Jim
    Brocolli-Leaf

thanks, dd.

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I will take snowy eggplant if still available.

Thank you

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Radish China Rose is gone !!!

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I mailed my seeds out this morning from the airport post office.
    Seems to get to destination quicker if I mail from there.

• sandysgardens
    12 years ago

I've been off the grid for a bit - busy at work and babysitting 2 year old grandson in evenings. I do though want to report my seeds are in the Mail!!

Thanks,
    Sandy

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the updates everyone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from "phpete".

As a friendly reminder to everyone, you need to get your seeds mailed no later than Nov 1st. It's too late to mail them after that as I will not get them in time, and will not hold up the swap waiting on seeds that were mailed after the deadline.

There are still a number of people that I haven't heard from yet, so I would really appreciate if you could update me when you have mailed your seeds.

Thanks a bunch....Heather

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Heather could you please send me your address again. I most have deleted I have the seeds ready to go just not the address. I tried emailing you privately but it didn't get through.
    Nes

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Nes,

Just resent you my address via email. Please let me know when you mail your seeds. thanks..Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beets, detroit dark red are gone

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Final reminder folks...your seeds must be in the mail by Nov 1st. There are still a number of people on this forum that I have not heard from. I have send a couple of reminder messages to everyone, and would very much appreciate just a quick communication to let me know if you are no longer participating in this swap.....or when you mail your seeds.

Your communication is very important to helping me run this swap smoothly and to avoid unnecessary delays.

Thank you for your cooperation.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please make sure you get your wish lists to me no later than Nov 1st. (If you haven't already sent it to me or included it when you mailed your seeds).

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from someone with the initials M.K. (first and last name initials) from Ithaca, NY. I have no idea who you are, as you did not write your member name on a note anywhere in the envelope and have not received any correspondence from anyone that has disclosed this name to me.

Please contact me asap so I can update my records accordingly. I need to be clear on whose seeds I've received and which ones I'm still waiting for.

Thanks

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from "Behlgarden", "Dirtdaddy", "Roper2008" and someone with the initials M.K. from Ithaca, NY.

Thanks....Heather

• neepeppers
    12 years ago

My seeds were mailed this morning. Thanks again!

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update neepeppers. Much appreciated.

Today I received seeds from:

* Mayeeta
    * Newine
    * Tinley244

I am still needing the person with the initials M.K. from Ithaca, NY to get in touch with me. I have received seeds from you but have no idea who you are, as you did not write your member name on a note. This is urgent. Please contact me.

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I still have not heard from the following members that signed up for this swap:

* Dirtscratcher2010
    * Greenthumb2011
    * HoosierJoe
    * PLSell
    * Rgvnewf
    * Sagg30
    * Takama
    * Tomazo
    * Vronp

Folks, I have emailed you on a few occassions reminding you of the deadline (Nov 1st) and asking that you 1) advise me when your seeds have been mailed or 2) tell me you are no longer in this swap. I do not understand why there has been no communication from you. I really do not have time to continue to follow up with numerous participants.

As such, I am not going to wait on your seeds. I have no choice but to assume they are not coming. If you haven't already mailed your seeds, it's too late now. I won't get them in time. If I get any envelopes that are postmarked after today, they will be returned to you, unopened with the original seeds sent back to you. I will not email anyone on this list to advise your envelope was returned, because I'm not even going to open it to find out who it came from. If you sent your envelope by today, I strongly recommend you let me know right away, or I will not wait on your envelope and there will be no seeds left to swap for the ones you sent in.

Thanks everyone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yesterday I received seeds from "appaloosa909".

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

* coolbythecoast
    * cziga
    * slo-garden

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just received these bonus seeds to share (thanks slo-garden). I have very limited quantities of these, so first come first serve...you'd better be quick :)

* Charentais Melon (french cantaloupe)
    * Collective Farm Woman (russian melon)
    * Ha'Ogen (Israeli melon)
    * Zolotistaja (Russian melon)
    * Shi-Li-Hon (Chinese mustard greens)

Thanks....Heather

• phpete
    12 years ago

Oooh!

Please add

* Charentais Melon (french cantaloupe)
    or
    * Zolotistaja (Russian melon)

to my wishlist!

(fun exotics bump out the pumpkins in my garden)

• barefootgardner12
    12 years ago

I would like to try the Charentais melon. Thank you!

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Charentais Melon is gone. phpete and barefoot gardener....sorry..someone in another forum got the last one.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Charentais melon and zolotistaja is gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Collective farm woman is gone too.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shi-Li-Hon (Chinese mustard greens)are gone too. The only things left is Ha'ogen.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have one pack of Ha'ogen melon seed left for a bonus.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The ha'ogen melon is now gone. that was the last pack of this bonus offer.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from "Mike3".

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A quick update for everyone....as I'm sure you're very anxious to get your surprise packages back. Once all of the envelopes have been received, I will get started on filling and remailing your "surprise" packages back to you. I'm waiting on 40+ envelopes, and I expect the majority will arrive close to mid November.

I will post updates in this forum when I start remailing envelopes. Please remember...it will likely take a couple of weeks for your envelope to arrive once I've mailed it.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know when your envelope has arrived.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

* happygardener23
    * jonboy999
    * kwilds
    * luckynes13
    * pondgardener
    * rgvnewf
    * slowrolling
    * tmacmillan

I have not had an opportunity to sort through the seeds you sent in, so may have to reach out to you individually, over the next couple of days, with any questions I may have on the seeds you sent in.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received some veggie seeds that "tmacmillan" has generously donated as bonuses. There are limited quantities of these, so let me know asap if you are interested in anything on this list. First come first serve, and this offer will be posted in all participating forums:

* Cilantro
    * Cucumber Muncher
    * Lettuce Grand Rapids
    * Okra
    * Radish Round Black Spanish
    * Spinach Tyee Hybrid
    * Strawberry - Sweet Fresca

I am off to my beloved dentist tonight for my annual checkup so will not be able to post updates on what's "taken" until later tonight. I will go by timestamps on replies. It does not matter if you reply by email or post here.

Thanks....Heather

• phpete
    12 years ago

STRAWBERRIES!?!

Consider them wished.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gotcha down for strawberries Phpete.

The strawberries and cilantro are now gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cucumber muncher is gone as well.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cucumber muncher is gone as well.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Grand Rapids Lettuce and Okra are now gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The rest of these bonus seeds are now gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

* Neepeppers
    * Rane_grow
    * Sorellina

I haven't had a chance to sort through the seeds yet, so I may still need to contact you if I have any questions.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok everyone....I have one packet of Spinach Tyee Hybrid to give away as a bonus. The person that wanted the last pack no longer wants it. Please let me know asap if you'd like this seed.

Folks, please consider requests for bonus seeds a done deal as I have already stuffed the envelopes with the miscellaneous veggie bonus seeds that have were gifted and posted updates in all the forums. It's really not that easy for me change everything if you change your mind at this point

Thanks

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The spinach seeds are now gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from "Highaltatransplant".

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We're about to reach to maximum limit for postings on this thread, so I've started a new thread to continue to provide updates. Here's the link:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/pepper/?20529

Here is a link that might be useful: New Updates Thread

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Having a little trouble with links tonight. Let's try that one again. Here's the link to the new thread.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg1122414420529.html

Here is a link that might be useful: New Updates Thread

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus