SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zephirined

Mediterranean or Mission style gardens?

ZephirineD
20 years ago

Please forgive me for copying and reposting this to its own thread. I originally put it in the 1920's gardens thread, but I really do need help with this, and I'm more likely to get abundant advice if the topic is visible in the forum.

Our home was built in 1925. The outside walls are stucco, and the inside doorways are arched. We believe the original owner's intent was to create a "Mission Style" home and garden.

My husband has an unusual ethnic background -- half Finn, 1/4 Spanish, 1/4 Native American (the Tigua tribe of what is now known as South Texas). Because of his ethnic heritage, and because the design of the house is just crying out to be fully exploited, we'd like to renovate our home to evoke the Spanish/Mediterranean look -- or at the very least, with a somewhat California Mission style or Mexican Pueblo look.

To that end, we've purchased red tiles for our new roof (project completion date: probably October 2005), and we've incorporated Mediterranean touches into our renovation plans...

But other than placing a fan palm near the front of the house, I really don't know how to effectively carry the theme through to the gardens. I have no idea how Mexican or Pueblo gardens were landscaped, and I don't even know where to find photos of California Mission gardens.

Can anyone here help me? Are there any useful links to reference photos or descriptions?

Any and all advice, education, and information will be appreciated!

Love,

Claudia

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions