SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

trying new chili varieties this year .... can't eat the old 'hot

vieja_gw
13 years ago

He's ashamed to admit it but my husband has had to give up growing & eating the VERY hot chile this year due to a mouth condition!(had to give away nearly all the 240 lbs. of chili he grew, roasted & froze last year ... no problem getting 'takers' either!!) So this year he grew some New Mexico 6 for me ( an old NM variety brought back by NM State University) that has good flavor but just a bit of heat that I prefer. I make chili caribe from the fresh & dry the fresh peeled for chili verde seca. He is growing Biker Billy jalapeños, Big Jim & Barker but no Bhut this year (oh yes: TWO plants just to give to the 'braggers'! One did admit it was 'hotter coming back up than going down'!!) Our daughter-in-law likes to make the jalapeño 'poppers' so she gets most of the jals we grow now & son likes the very hot varieties his dad used to grow & like so hubby grows that hot stuff x seed again just for him. Does eating that super hot chili lead to health problems later on in life? Most of the relatives have had to go to the less hot varieties now as they have gotten older! Plants doing great in this 90 + degree weather (over 3 ft. tall now) we have had most of this summer for so long & no measurable rain since last Sept. at our place either so everything on soaker hoses on a timer. Began picking this week for the first time. Haven't heard what the conditions have been in Hatch, NM but think that part of our State has gotten a lot of rain so hope that doesn't hurt their famous chili crops!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting