SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
federal_hill

germinate seeds

federal_hill
14 years ago

found this and thought it might be interesting especially to the people I sent seeds to.....

Whenever you cook eggs---when you go to break them out, tap off only one end of the shell to leave a quarter (25 cent piece) sized opening and empty out the egg and yolk. Using a very sharp ice pick, make a hole in the bottom of the shell (for drainage). Fill the shell with cactus potting mix and plant a seed right into the soil at the top of the egg opening. Place damp sphagnum moss into the Styrofoam egg crate and press it inÂnot too tightly so you can still place the eggs with their seeds back in on top of the moss. Water each egg and only water again when it looks dry. You can save your empty shells for a few days before planting them if you want to do several seeds at once.

the seeds germinate like crazy and grow rapidly. I would guess the moisture given off from the moss below helps keep the top from needing any misting. (You should also make sure the moss is kept moist). Oh--I almost forgot, when the seed is big enough for a pot--GENTLY crush the shell with your hand--or chip it away in a few places and plant the egg shell with its plant in a pot--the egg shell is recycled into the soil as the roots grow through it.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County