SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanna427_gw

Bug Problem / No Latex when pin poked

joanna427
14 years ago

Hi All,

So here is a new problem for me...My Plumerias have been doing great and thriving the last several years, but this year all of the sudden my plants have been hit with a swarm of bugs that I haven't been able to identify anywhere! The closest thing they look like are "jewel borers" but the thing is there are no puncture wounds to the stems, no obvious soft spots, no spotted leaves so to me it doesn't look like they are doing anything to them...BUT...these bugs will not leave my plants alone and for whatever reason this year my plants have been REALLY slow to grow and thrive, so I really started to get worried! ( The only thing I've been able to find about pests and Plumerias is related to Long-Horned Beetles, Mites, Slugs, and Grasshoppers) I've gone ahead and sprayed my plants anyways with a Neem insecticide just to be safe...Oh and did I mention I did the old "pin" test?? Half of my plants were fine and oozed the latex, the other half, NOTHING!!! Ok, now I'm panicking! Since you all are in the same boat as me, you know how much I've invested in this little pastime of mine! (And if you don't just ask my husband, he'll be glad to tell you) So now here's another question, the plants that DIDN'T ooze latex, I keep cutting the stems down until the stems pour out latex?? What if it never does but the tissue inside is nice and soft and green? The plant is obviously still alive right?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated right about now because I REALLY don't want to lose half of my Plumies!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville