SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_rose_gw

SA butchered shrub - HELP! - can I root some of it??

kate_rose
18 years ago

Hi,

I am new to rooting except really easy things that you just have to stick in water. Today my SA went out and butchered (1/2 gone) my Apache Plume (Fallugia paradoxa). It is a slow growing desert adapted native shrub that is nondeciduous. I saved all the clippings and immediately put them in water with fresh cuts. He got wood from last year all the way out to the growth tips. I read about rooting softwood cuttings which seems like my best choice to try and save some of it.

My questions are:

1) should I cut the 2' plus long cuttings down to something much shorter before attempting to root them - can I root longer cuttings or do they have to be just a few inches long

2) are my chances of success gone now that I have had to wait a day before putting the hormone on & putting in media even though I wil be making fresh cuts quite a bit farther up the stem

3) is softwood simply from this year or does it have to be the part that is intermediate between the woody & herbaceous part of the plant

4) what strength of rooting hormone should I use??

5) does anyone have any experience with propagating this particular plant or those like it or do you know of a reference that might provide me with some advice (specifically I am wondering if the minigreenhouse approach will be too humid for this species)

Thanks in advance for you help.

Signed,

Discouraged in TX (kate)

Comments (2)