SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kukini

Need help in identifying our plumies!

kukini
18 years ago

You all now how it is, you plant cuttings from you forgot where in some cases and after two years in my case, our plumies have finally began to bloom but we have a little problem.... we cannot identify some of them.

What we have done in the case of some is immediately after they bloom we label the pot with the varietal and parentage ex."aztec gold p.rubra " and so forth.

This year has been prolific for us, we have seen about 4 new plumerias bloom others are still budding, we have a white shell plumeria, pink shell plumeria, aztec gold, and 4 unidentified plumerias of those i only have 3 with pictures....

I have the Handbook on Plumeria Culture by the Eggenberger's on hand but we are 100% in agreement that the book is outdated by now since many varietal have come about in 10 years.... the book is very limited in the amount of pictures and does an elemental job in attempting to describe newer hybrids and some like ours simply do not fit into any of the descriptions given by Eggenberger....

so here we are asking for help, I want to label the plumerias before they stop blooming if possible....

I do have one question which is intriguing...... Have any of you obtained a cutting from a parent tree to have the cutting change color on you? I have one bright pink parent and a very light almost white plumie in bloom? Is that possible

Here are the culprits:

#1 is the plumeria in bloom as it appears on the plant

{{gwi:1195027}}

#2 is a flower from the same plumeria but on a close up showing the back side. The flowers are slightly larger than a quarter dollar.

{{gwi:1195028}}

#3 "looks" like it should be a 'Kimi Morage' but it is not because it fails to meet the criteria of the description "Petals are very round and overlapping" as per Eggenberger. The petals are as you can see, are not round but elongated and spaced far apart.

{{gwi:1195029}}

And lastly is #4 the flowers are from light pink to white with a yellow center.

{{gwi:1195030}}

These cuttings were mostly taken from trees here in the Los Angeles Area I have about 3 from Hawaii which have yet to bloom, among them one deep red which I will identify soon enough..... I hope....

Thanks to all in advance for the help

Kukini

Comments (8)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler