SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdrawkcab

Pictures with cover letter/resume?

sdrawkcab
15 years ago

I'm looking for some advice on the ettiqute for applying to work part time in the horticultural field.

background info:

I have a good job working an 8-5 m-f type office job in a field completely unrelated to horticulture. My job provides me with steady pay, a company car, full heath benefits, and a good working environment. In spite of all this, I miss working in the horticultural field.

In highschool I was president of my schools Future Farmers of America chapter. I exceled in my agriculture classes and I was awarded the DeKalb Excelence in Agriculture Award in 2003. I went on to college and began a bachelors degree in Ornamental Horticulture. I got 2 years in and had to drop out due to personal reasons. I worked for several years at a local retail nursery doing everything from watering and pruning to landscape design and pest/disease management. I left that to persue a career that could provide a better life for myself and my family (more $, insurance, non-seasonal hours, etc.). In my free time now I act as a horticultural advisor to friends and family. This spring I took the initiative to offer a free class about seed starting at the local library. I have also taught highschool and college level classes on hydroponics theory and design.

My Question:

The store that I am interested in seeking part time evening/weekend employment at specalizes in hydroponics and indoor gardening. It is a small, family-run type place. I would like to include pictures of some of the hydroponic systems I have built over the years with my cover leter because I feel that my first-hand experience with hydroponics is relevent to my employability at this particular business. Is it poor form to include pictures with a cover letter and resume in a situation like this where descriptions of what I've done would be wordy and akward but pictures would be easy to show my expertise i nthis field?

What do you think- Should I include pictures or not?

If it matters, I am not even sure if they are looking for help, I'm taking a shot in the dark by submitting a resume and hoping that once they see my qualifications they will be intereted in hiring me to work nights/weekends.

Comments (2)

Sponsored