SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilima_gw

Alien Invasion

ilima
18 years ago

The link below is from the front page of the Maui News. This is just the latest in the ever increasing frequency of new pests that arrive and go into unchecked plagues of biblical proportions. It takes about two years for each new arrival to reach some semblence of balance in the ecosystem. In the meantime two of the last three have made growing hibiscus and plumeria a heartache.

This is a partial list of what I have had to deal with in the last six years. It does not list what happens outside my travels in upscale suburban landscapes but I can see things happening to several tree species around the island.

Super White Fly - Think canned snow for Christmas Trees, totally immune to everything

Sago Palm Scale - Same as above

Papaya Mealy Bug - Loves Hibiscus, Plumeria, Jatropha, and Euphorb's

Florida Chinch Bug - No more worry free St. Augustine Grass

Hibiscus Mite - Galls on the leaves, stunted growth

Bougainvillea Moth - Caterpillar totally defoliates

Coqui Frog - Not bad but the Realtors have raised a major stink

Axis Deer - YES DEER! The bucks beat the shrubs to a pulp

I know I am leaving things off and that list does not include the invasive plant category. Native plants are in no way immune to this assault.

This has made the job of keeping clients happy much more difficult because they think there should be something I can spray, DO, that will fix it and often I am powerless. The best I can do is remove the plant or keep it alive until the plague subsides. It takes a bit of education to get them to realize the scope of the problem and that their garden is not being singled out.

It may be worse here because it's an island but what kind of experience in coping with this have others had?

ilima

Here is a link that might be useful: Alien Wasp

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!