SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raoulie

Thai chili plant. . . really shrubby?

raoulie
14 years ago

Hi

So my dad got me a thai chili plant he saw from the chinese area in our city (toronto) several weeks ago, and I figured I might as well take a crack at growing it. Havent grown anything before this besides a mint plant I remember throughout my childhood, so its my first time to growing in general. It was only about 4 or 5 inches tall with maybe 10 leaves when I first got it with no buds and had roots sticking out of the bottom of the little pot (which I read is what to look for, no buds or fruit when you are buying a grown plant itself), and now the first 7 or so buds at the top all flowered and have fruit (did some hand pollination with a q-tip).

Got a couple CFL's (the bluish and yellow kind) since the weather has been INCREDIBLY erratic with ultra hot days (explains the couple sunburnt leaves when I left it out a bit too long) and then cloudy/cold days which is what I got the lights for and it seems to be doing great with them, because theres been alot of cloudy days.

Now I have a couple questions. First, is the fruit supposed to look like that? They only came up maybe under 2 weeks ago, and were pretty small for a while (once the dead flower fell off) and then started growing "bulbousy" or so to speak, with not that much length. Im not worried, just curious as this is my first time. Second, should I be pinching some of the upcoming blossoms? It seems to be doing really well which brings me to my third question. Its a bit difficult to tell but this plant is growing REALLY shrubby, (which I believe is supposed to be a good thing) however some of the branches or so to speak look like they are pushing against the larger leaf stems, smaller leaves are almost contorting or being pushed against other leaves and leaf stems, it just looks very crowded. Is this fine, or should I remove some of the larger leaves to make space for the branches that seem to want to stick out (and some are starting to), or am I just worrying too much :P

Oh and heres the plant

thanks!

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County