SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Jolokia Tempura

Edymnion
11 years ago

Now I just have to find someone dumb enough to eat it...

Comments (9)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

What in the heck is that thing? Is that a freshly picked pepper or did you "do" something to it after harvesting it? That thing is nasty looking. I wouldn't eat it even if it wasn't a million scovilles.

It almost looks like it is infested with Aphids.

Bruce

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Looks like death warmed over.

• User
    11 years ago

Yum, but I think you need to work on your battering a bit.

Did you do an egg/milk wash and flower dusting before dipping in the batter?

With a more complete coating folks won't know what they're biting into before it's too late. Great idea for getting people to try a chile who would otherwise just say no because they don't think they'll like them. Every once in a while you may enlist a new chile fan to the club ;-))

Thanks for the idea, I think I'll try it with some "milder" Japanese Takanotsume though.

• mbellot
    11 years ago

Looks like it's breaded, not battered.

But it does look almost good enough to eat.

I spotted my first Jolokia the other day, I've got a long wait ahead of me for ripe red peppers. :(

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Looks good to me! Not that I'd be able to eat it ;-)

I might be able to do a quarter of a Bhut....but not the whole thing, for sure.

Josh

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

eeeep! Think I will pass!

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

YOW! That is scary as hell looking! Don't make any for me!

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried using my normal tempura battering/breading. It actually coated pretty smoothly, the problem was that the pepper swelled up during cooking and broke the breading while it was in there.

I know why it swelled up, I didn't cut the pepper open to allow the air inside to escape, then I plunged it in 375 degree oil, so of course it swelled up like a balloon.

No, I won't cut it next time either, as I don't want to contaminate my cooking oil with a million scovilles. My next batch of french fries would be my last!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Actually....I think you're on to something....battered Bhut and fiery fries.....
    with a creamy garlic and herb sauce as a dip.

Josh

Sponsored