SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t0etager

Garden Pictures

t0etager
15 years ago

Hello all, I haven't seen anyone loading up pictures so I will just have to start it off. My garden is small but happy! My wife and I just bought a new house so we are having to re landscape. IÂm just going to wait till next spring to get started on it. Out of the bunch from left to right stand a Vera Cruz Rose, Hawaii Unknown, Paung Yok, JL's Metallica, and Thai Unknown. There are more but they are recouping after last winters' mouse attack. The mice went into the garage and ate the tops off most all my plumeria leaving only 2 untouched. I lost 3 due to the rot that came afterwards and had to cut a few down to the ground but they are pulling through. Also the Thai Unknown is just fixing to bloom for the first time she has 3 tips and 3 inflos! Ill post pictures when the magic happens! Hope to see some pictures of everyoneÂs plumage! Happy growing!

Sean

{{gwi:1193583}}

Vera Cruz Rose when it first bloomed

{{gwi:1193584}}

Unknown Hawaii

{{gwi:1193585}}

Panug Yok

{{gwi:1193586}}

Metallica when first bloomed

{{gwi:1191385}}

My first seed pod

{{gwi:1193588}}

Comments (56)

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello John,
    Thanks for the kind words! I have the plumeria in 2/3 perlite and 1/3 permium potting soil. Its what I used to root the cuttings and after a year in the 1 gallon rooting pots i moved them into these clay pots. They are 18" pots. I know everyone says to put them in plastic nursery pots but I found these at lowes for like $20 very nice looking, they are usualy $50 so I bought all they had and transplanted my biggest cuttings. All the plants I have here are only 2 years old, the rest of my plumies I gave to my mom to plant in the ground at her house. She has an acre of land so plenty of room for them to grow. Post some pictures if you guys get a chance!
    Sean

• greekman
    15 years ago

Hi Sean here are some of my 8 months seedlings
    [IMG]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/olma156/a702ae74.jpg[/IMG]

• Related Discussions

garden pictures (too many pictures !)

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you :) 4th from last orchid is Iwanagara Appleblossom - easy to grow, likes high light and is very fragrant. I bought it years ago as a seedling from SunBulb (bagged seedlings you find at Lowes or Home Depot) Other orchids in the pictures: 1. Group shot: a hybrid phal - P. Rong Guan Amah - with Blptm. Midnight blue 'Cardinal's Roost' and a broken spike of Cymbidium Sunshine Falls 'Butterball' 2. Cattleya bowringiana var. coerulea , Brazilian species, from a nursery in Brazil (export) 3. Iwanagara Appleblossom - had two spikes, but I recently broke one while watering :( 4. Intermedia x walkeriana cross - also from Brazil Thank you! Olya
    ...See More

Roses/Garden Pictures

Q

Comments (39)
    This is very helpful. I have spot for three more roses and did not know which will be better. I am from Saskatoon and the summer is very short here. I planted Canadian shields last year and did well but the season was too short to evaluate and I read about Champlain being everblooming so thought I will give it a try. With this information I might actually try campfire rose instead and take more care for my canadian shields. I agree Canadian shields needs staking
    ...See More

My rose garden pictures this summer, early June 2020

Q

Comments (14)
    Don't you love it when our passions help wildlife!!! My perennial garden has passing birds gathering seeds on their way south...I feel so proud! I've never seen a picture of a female cardinal...she's SO pretty!! Your Alchymist is soooooooooo wonderful!!! Your rose garden overview...gorgeous!!!! Thanks for showing us your wonderful roses!!
    ...See More

group thread idea - post your favorite garden picture from this year

Q

Comments (49)
    Sorry I only have time to skim...I'm in IT project management hell right now. Bill Bill Bill. What are we going to do with you? THE RULES ARE THE RULES! But, I'm going to grant you a primary peony hybrid exception!!! Because I like that one. Cab, good job, the hummers are so hard to catch with the camera!
    ...See More
  • greekman
    15 years ago

Sean, I think now is better
    {{gwi:49286}}

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John,
    Very nice setup everyone looks very green and happy! What a treat when all those seedlings start showing their color. Great garden you have, happy growing!
    Sean

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Sean,

Here's a few pitcures of my Jeannie Moragne....

{{gwi:412796}}

{{gwi:412797}}

{{gwi:412798}}

• greekman
    15 years ago

Hi tomncath,
    AMAZING plants-flowers and pictures.
    If I unsterstood well you have those in pots, could you inform me about diameter and height of the pots ? (please don't tell me gallons or litters)
    thanks
    John
    from Greece

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

tomncath- That is such a nice Jeannie- can almost smell the rose smell from here. A good red Jeannie just jumps out at your eyes. I lost my best one in the big freeze of 07 but I have two younger ones coming along (one an orangish seedling) so I look forward to next season. Bill

• iowajojo
    15 years ago

Sigh.......Now I have to put Jeannie Moragne on my wish list!

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Folks,

No, most of my plummies are in the ground. I'm in Florida and while I'm classified a zone 9B my microclimate is actually 10A; I'm so close to Tampa Bay that I get no frost whatsoever. I have a limited amount of room on the patio behind the wall these plummies are in front of so I'll be cutting them back again probably next year...when I do I'll post another giveaway as these sticks seem to go quickly.

Tom

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

Tom,
    The flowers are amazing. The trees seem to be getting dappled sunlight, with those big trees in front of them. Is that the case throughout the day, or do they get a good amount of direct light? Just curious, because the blooms are perfect. Do you go to Exotic Plumeria, over in Seffner, much?

Bob

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Bob,

They only get about 6-7 hours direct sunlight due to the overhanging Live Oaks. I've cut the extending branches of the Live Oaks back quite a bit to give the plummies this much sun. I purchased these plummies in Seffner about five years ago, haven't been there since.

Tom

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Tom,
    Great pictures! Thanks for keeping this post alive its nice to see pictures of the plumies people inquire about I wish more would post em. This forum is great for knowledge but I like to see pictures too!! You have some great looking plumeria and the JM is very vibrant! Happy Growing everyone!
    Sean

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi,
    great pictures of Jeannie. Mine is only 2 years old, growing well, so have a while to get there.. But next year, hope to see blooms like yours. What a pretty one.
    Karen B

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Karen - Thanks, give it time, you'll get there.

Sean - You're the man! This is your post and I agree, I'd sure like to see a lot more pictures in the forum.... When the time comes, I'd gladly trade you a JM stick for a VC stick. How about it?

Tom

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom,
    Im all about that! Just give me the word, there is nothing like expanding your collection and that JM would be a great addition. Happy growing everyone and keep the pictures posting!
    Sean

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    Just got an update from my ma she said the mega brancher is blooming again! This plumeria is 2 years old started from a single tip plumeria. It was a bonus stick given by Evelyn on an ebay purchase. To date it has bloomed 7 times there are so many branches its hard to count. This plumeria is wild it blooms and before the inflo falls off the tips it spurng out are getting ready to bloom! It has become quite a bush. My mom needs to weed out her plumeria island and im sure they would all be doing as well. Oh and I noticed today that the Vera Cruz is going to bloom hope its not to late in the season. Enjoy!
    Sean
    {{gwi:1193589}}

• barske
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing your great pics. with the beautiful Plumerias. That J. Moragne is a real beauty I really like the tricoloured flowers or/and when the sunlight plays a game with the colours in the flowers. I thought I'd also add a few coazy September evening pics. from my south Scandinavian garden.

My Kaneohe Sunrise cutting from March just started flowering a few days ago and it's very pretty too I think. Please continiue sharing pics. Happy growing everybody.

Soren

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Soren,
    Great pictures you have! Your walk way looks like a hummingbird heaven! What a great KS looks like a sunrise if I have ever seen one :) Here is another picture of the Paung Yok it is flowering on all tips now! My unknowen thai is only a day or two away from opening up ill post when it happens. Good day everyone and happy growing!

This is my flower Autumn Rose
    {{gwi:1193596}}

Paung Yok
    {{gwi:1193597}}

This hibiscus was here when I moved in it just bloomed :)
    {{gwi:1193598}}

• barske
    15 years ago

Beautiful pics you have there t0etager your Autumn Rose is a real beauty so cute.

I woke up to this beautiful Sunday morning after an overcasted week mostly but some more of my Plumeria cuttings purchased in March just started flowering in the sunshine. My red Pops is still waiting a little and I have a very pretty Rimfire from Thailand with the most amazing smell "not pictured yet" and a beautiful little "Thai" Siam dwarf with the wrinkled leaves but very healthy growing. The Penang Peach and Kaneohe Sunrise are doing just fine though they all were started in March 2008 but there are more to come. We have had some very nasty and heavy rainshowers but the plants seemed to like being soaked and I can't say they look sad though I was scared they got over watered but they seem to be in a good condition anyway.

Hope the Danish late summer will go for sooo long I will see more Plumeria flowers to come.

Soren

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

love the pictures. thanks for sharing.
    sue

• john_luvs_frangipani
    15 years ago

That Jeannie Moragne is awesome. I love those colors. Here are a couple of mine from this year. I have a few more inflos coming on now. I hope they bloom for me. Also I finally got a couple of seed pods this year!

John

Call this my rescued pink as I found it on a neighboors curb heading to the landfill...

This one is named Richard's Star after my friends son that passed away.

My Nebel's Rainbow..First year of bloom

Got this from a local nursery. Some say it's a Mardi Gras, and some call it Wishy Washy. whatever it is I like it!

Grove Farm

Kaneohe Sunrise

Good old Aztec Gold..smells great!

Kool Aid

BO52

There were more..but I haven't uploaded them all yet.
    Bye
    {{gwi:1193621}}

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    Great to see this post still truckin. Soren, I really like that Siam dwarf with the wrinkled leaves you have some great looking plants and a nice big yard to go with em! And John you have quite a nice collection going on I like the Richards Star sorry to hear about the passing... So here is the new Thai blooming on all 3 tips and the seed pod showen at the top of this page just 20 some odd days later boy how they grow! There is also another seed pod in that picture but its about as big as the one at the top. Enjoy Everyone and thanks for posting loving the pictures!!!!!
    Sean
    {{gwi:1183966}}
    {{gwi:1193623}}
    {{gwi:1193624}}
    {{gwi:1193625}}
    {{gwi:1193626}}

• houstonpat
    15 years ago

Hurricane Ike provided a few cuttings for friends.

• john_luvs_frangipani
    15 years ago

OUCH...I remember scenes like that from hurricanes Frances and Jeanne 4 years ago. Wishing you guys/gals in Texas all the best for a speedy recovery.

John

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Houston Pat,
    ouch, that does hurt to see the plants on their sides..hope your plants made it.
    Karen B

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Great shots one and all.

Pat, what a mess.

~Dave

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Pat,
    Hope all friends and family are ok and no one had to much if any property damage. My father and one of my sisters live in Houston they left for the storm. My friend she and her parents stayed home for it, they said it was pretty scary. Cuttings for friends is great but its a tough way of getting them. Hope all is back to normal for you over there.
    Sean

• iowajojo
    15 years ago

Thanks to Bill, I have a plant blooming!
    This is one of Bill's infamous Psyco Whites!!
    Thank YOU Bill!!!

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Patrick...
    So sorry about your damage to your garden. Our street (with the exception of our house...) finally got power and phone lines last night here in Clear Lake!!! We were able to at least get most of the plants under cover---but the winds were fierce!!! It looks like a war zone over here---so sad for all the lost trees. The Aztec Gold plants are doing great that you gave me a few months ago--let me know if you need any back for your collection. Good Luck --- I have just been giving my plants alot of extra TLC! Mary Jane

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Iowajo.
    Congrats on the red-white, or Bills psyco.. great blooms, such a neat flower and plant. I didn't get a cutting from Bill, but was given a 6 to 7 yr old plant from a neighbor who moved.. Have had it for a couple of years, just blooms and blooms. The only thing, will not branch from a bloom..should triple or something. Maybe next year. You will enjoy this one.
    Karen B

• tomncath
    15 years ago

I've been away a while. Great pittures everyone!

JLF-Florida - what potting mix are you using? When it comes time for cuttings I'd sure like to trade you a few JM for one or two of yours....

Tom

• john_luvs_frangipani
    15 years ago

Hi Tom,
    All I use is cactus soil from home depot mixed with perlite.
    About 2 to 1. Be glad to trade when and if I get some decent cuttings. Here are a couple more.
    Jesse Ray..named after my buddies granddaughter

And a Pudica inflo trying to make it before seasons end...

JLF

• barske
    15 years ago

You all add so great pics I really enjoy watching the beautiful flowers. My thoughts goes to you too Pat I hope you didn't loose too much during the storm. I have lost pots for 1000 of $ here during storms luckily the plants survive rolling around in the garden.

My red Pops from this spring finally made it last chance for flowering I guess. My Cherry cluster makes the last kramps of blooming the flowers have faded a little maybe it's due to the lacking sunshine and temps. or the rising humidity!! But still smells gorgeous

Beginning to move plants into the greenhouse not that it's too cold but we enter the storm/rain season and I don't want my plants to drown or flip over. Still got 20 plants outside need to see if I can fit them into my way too small greenhouse, I think I got a tropical there, hehe ;0)

Hope you all had a great Plumeria season I can't wait to start the next.

Pops

Cherry Cluster

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello All,
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for posting up some pictrues. You are most certainly right Soren the season is coming to a close, but next spring is just a blink away and I can't hardly wait to see it come! Hopefully the plants do well through the cold spout and make it back to continue their journey of spreading joy and happiness throughout the plumeria family! Have a great winter everyone and see you in the spring time!
    Sean

• iowajojo
    15 years ago

t0etager, Next Spring in NOT just a blink away if you live in Iowa ....sigh

• barske
    15 years ago

Hey Iowajo cheer up get some seeds to grow or root some cuttings that is what I do to avoid winter depression. I know most advice not to root cuttings from fall to spring but I always test the limets and most plants and flowers you have seen me adding pics. from in here are rooted during winter. I admit that I have lost two cuttings out of ten and thats ok. This pic. is my kitchen window last January I place the pots with seeds and cuttings on the radiator which is "on" anyway in January and the rooting goes smoothly and the plants speed up very fast when they go in the greenhous primo March. If you look in the background of my garden you will see how nasty winds are playing with my garden furniture next to my walnut tree.

I think we are entering a coazy time also because we have a lot of family/friends traditions here in Denmark where we gather and enjoy to be social during the "dark time" as we call winter. I really missed that when I lived in California the way of living there is so totally different from what I was used to but I liked living in California. I love planting seeds and cuttings during winter on Saturdays and Sundays I enjoy a glass of good redwine along with my hobby. I even got a new set of cuttings to root and I'm shure I will get even more before winter is over. So don't loose it and get depressed spring "is" around the corner.

Oh Sean, you said up further that you liked my little Siam dwarf with the wrinkled leaves I will be happy to swap cuttings with you if you like but it needs to grow some more and it grows very slowly but I will keep you in mind.

Soren

• iowajojo
    15 years ago

Hi Soren, thanks for the encouraging words. It's not the lack of gardening that makes Spring sooo long away, it's the upcoming snow, ice and blizards that make me sigh ;)

I still have gardening to tend to:

• barske
    15 years ago

I know what you are saying with ice and snow winter can be depressing. I really like your coazy compact Plumeria growing space it reminds me of my own. Is that a Fig tree I see in the red pot in the corner to the right? Are you not able to grow them outside? We grow them outside all year and they give big fat juicy fruits. I even see them growing at our west coast where the climate is very hard and windy there they have Fig trees in the backyards.

Soren

• iowajojo
    15 years ago

Hi Soren, thats not a Fig tree, it's JATROPHA PODAGRICA ,or Buddha Belly Plant. All my plants were out all summer. This is my back porch. It is one of my favorite rooms. :)

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello you guys,
    Nice space you got there iowajo lots of plumies there! I hope to have a great collection like that one day very nice! And I hope winter doesnt drag on for you too too long, I do kinda have a nice short winter here in texas. And Soren Thanks so much for keeping me in mind I would love to trade with you (when ever you are ready)!!! I plan on cutting back all my plumeria next spring and root the many branches that were made this year. That along with the seed pod that will be ready next year ill have lots of trees! Happy Growing!
    Sean

• john_luvs_frangipani
    15 years ago

Few more pictures from the yard...

Aztec Gold just opened up tonight (10-15-08) Has 2 huge inflos on it. Also Charles Gramaldi brug from Karyn_1 in the background. Thanks Karyn, smells great!!

Close up of one of the Aztec Gold inflos. The flowers are huge.

Last Nebels Rainbow bloom with a color break.

And last but not least for the bird lovers in the group. A pileated woodpecker in my oak tree in the back yard.

Well, one more of the woodpecker. He was so cool!

John

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

barske,

What in the world are you feeeding your plumies? What is your regimend? Do you winter them away then bring them out in summer? please share your routine on care for them..Please. They are so so beautiful. You seem to have no problem to get them to flower!!!!

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

John...
    Great pictures! Love the Woody... I have a couple Aztec Golds that I would love to see in bloom!!! How much sun do you give your Aztec Gold? I see trees in some of your earlier pics. I also see you live in Florida so you have the same strong sun exposure as we do here in Texas.
    MJ

• john_luvs_frangipani
    15 years ago

Hi MJ,
    usually I try and give my plants as much sun as possible. That particular Aztec Gold however is on the west side of the house and is probably only getting 4 hours of sun at this time of year. It doesn't seem to mind though. Also I just recently placed it in the ground, maybe a month and a half ago. Maybe it's thanking me for allowing it to spread it's roots. Hope you get lots of blooms on yours soon. They smell awesome.
    John

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello All,
    Really glad to see this post has gone so far! You guys have posted some great pictures I can't get enough of em:) I was taking a look around my plants today and got a few pictures for you all. Hope you like :O )
    Sean

Monster Seed Pod on the "Unknowen Hawaii"!!
    {{gwi:1193644}}

Baby Seed Pod on my "Dark Red"(Sibisam)
    {{gwi:1193645}}

Loads of wild life on the Sibisam, even cought humming birds trying to feed off the flowers and tons of bull nose butterflies too. Maybe the reason I got the seed pod although I did try my best at polinating it myself :0 )
    {{gwi:1193647}}

And check out these monster inflos! I measured them they are 14" tall!!! Should be seeing flowers in a couple weeks :0 )
    {{gwi:1193649}}

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Soren, or anyone else who has sucess for that matter in getting your plumies to flower in spring. Please share your routine with thode of us who want to have flowers by this spring. Storage, feeding, care and so on. Please. I already asked and no one seems to have seen my post. Thanks alot in advance!!!:-)

• t0etager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Mike,
    I wish I could help but my plants dont seem to get blooming till around summer time. Last year was kinda rough for them though maybe this year will go better during the winter months. Hope some one gets back with you. Happy Dormancy everyone!

• wanda662
    15 years ago

I'm loving all your photos! You have a beautiful collection
    t0etager!
    I have a Jessie Ray too John, just love her! That Richards Star is a beauty. By the way how is Richlin and his wife?

• john_luvs_frangipani
    15 years ago

Hello Wanda,
    They are doing well. He's trying to sell his farm. I think it's getting to be more work than he wants t this time.
    John

• barske
    15 years ago

Thank you for still posting pics of nice flowers I already got great ideas of flowers that I want to start for the next season.

Shure Mike I have seen your posts but work sometimes calls me away from home and internet. What could possibly be the problem growing such and easy plant to grow as the Plumeria? No I'm joking some are not so easily grown. Usually it's the "older" plants that starts early with inflos in the spring for me it's March-May. Some of my plants go dormant and it's usually in January-February, but some are not going dormant but just sitting there in a south facing window doing nothing untill March where they go back in the greenhouse to get a boost of heat and lots of light. When I root cuttings during winter I do it on my kitchen radiator with 2-3 40 W 6500 K flourcent super daylight lamps 10-12 hours a day. I'm starting up some right now and they will probably be ready with inflos in March.

I really have no secrets but I guess I'm fortunate to have natural rainwater all year. I always have 2 tons in reserve and it always comes from lightning storms and are therefore more nitrous. If empty it takes 5 minutes to fill back up so you see I have quite big roof to collect it from on my garage and I keep a net over the butts to keep mosquitoes out of there. Else I feed the plants an organic fertilizer that is ment for vegetables, tomatos cucumbers and peppers. The reason I do that is it's easily bought in a box with some kind of salt and a little bottle of organic liquide that I mixe in a little more than 3 gallons of water which then again can be mixed into 2 tons of feeding water for plants.The fertelizer boxes can be bought even bigger if you want. Some plants need more than others so I prefer a sip here and there in the water jug everytime I water. Sometimes I do run out of water and then again I'm fortunated to have good tap water that is not chlorine contaminated but it's loaded with chalk from our underground and therefore very neutral. Some says the chlorine evaporates and will not damage the plants but I'm not really shure!! The chalk can colour the clay pots if used too much. Besides all that I my plants gets tons of natural sunlight where the UV index is like 5-8 and sometimes more I think the plants like that and when they have inflos and flowers they are never dryed out totally. This must be my very covered secret growing the Plumeria plant in Southern Scandinavia.

You are in zone 5 Mike. I'm not really shure where that is in the US but I will look it up. I still have 20 plants outside that I need to get into the greenhouse but as long as we are in the 60 F they will sit out there in the open. I hope you can use some of my info for growing the plant where you live.

Soren

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor