SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oaney

Propogating Pothos

15 years ago

I took a cutting from my mothers pothos plant, because I know they are easy to grow. I used a rooting bulb, and got roots about 2 inches long, from the lowest node closest to the cutting. I planted the root into soil and there are leaves growing. All seems to be going well, but here is my question.

The cutting I took was from the tip of a vine, there were two leaves on my cutting. After planting the rooted cutting, there is about 3 inches between the surface of the soil and the first leaf, and then another 3 inches between the first and second leaf. I got a third leaf to grow, and as the third leaf was unfolding, a fourth leaf started growing, then a fifth. I now have 6 fully developed leaves, with a 7th on the way, but all of the leaves that grew after the cutting are less than a quarter inch apart, and the stem made a very violent turn upwards. There is alot of weight pulling on that stem and root, and the spaces between the nodes are extremely tiny. Is this normal?

I have been wondering if I should try to air layer the new leaf growth so that the stem grows straight up, and it doesnt hang over the edge of the pot and make such a sharp turn. I can take some pictures and post them online if Im not being clear.

1) Are such short distances between nodes normal for a cutting?

2) Should I air layer the very sharp Uturn? (The original 6 inches of vine makes a very lazy bend over the edge of the new pot. All the new leaf growth is happening within a quarter inch of eachother, and 4-5 leaves are growing out of a one inch segment, and that one inch segment is making a very tight curl or Uturn.)

3) I literally just learned that there is a difference between "water roots" and "soil roots" when trying to root pothos. Did I do it correctly?

I am a new plant keeper, and jumped headlong into it, I have about 9 pots of various plants, pothos, an onion that was sprouting in my cupboard, i found an old clump of roots which sprouted what i believe to be a sedum of some sort, habanero pepper seeds from a chili I made, and them something that is very similar to pothos but it has a different name (its a vine, i think its called photodendron?)

Comments (11)