SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grimage

Being fair with competitive pricing - your opinions

Grimage
18 years ago

I own and operate an interiorscaping company. We have a policy to beat any competitor's service fee, and general plant/container pricing.

We recently landed a new account, for installation of plants and containers, as well as weekly maintenance.

Today they informed us they're having second thoughts, because they received 2 other quotes, which were much lower.

They're telling us they were quoted service fees of $60 per month, for the same number and species' of plants we had on our proposal.

We find this very hard to believe. There were 2 7ft. Kentia Palms, as well as several other 6+ft. plants on there, coming to a total of 19 various plants, many of them quite large.

The client is asking us to match the price. We told them they need to show us these other proposals in order for us to match the price. Something has definitely got to be different on these other proposals.

When I first mentioned it, they were willing to do so, but when it came down to actually showing us these other proposals, there was reluctance, and they said "Do you really think that's fair to the other companies?" We are waiting to see if they fax them over.

I'd really like your opinions on this. Do you think it's fair for us to guarantee to beat any competitor's fees, and is it fair to ask for proof of those fees?

Comments (10)

Sponsored