SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debinca1

Time to make a change, how helpful is a degree?

debinca1
19 years ago

Just wanted to say HI,

I used to post frequently on the rose forum but dropped off for a while when I started working at a retail nursery. I wished, at the time, there was a place to talk with others in the industry. Low and behold seems spike set that up and I missed it. Glad I found this forum.

After loving the garden center job for 3 years. It seems I am being given the chance to shift gears. ( the owners need to do a wage reduction to stay solvent and are going to take over the jobs I have been doing. Now they want me to 'just do floor sales' for a reduced hourly rate )

I have often been asked if I do home consults, well last year the answer was "No I am too busy here at the nursery". This year the answer may need to be "Yes I am avail, what are you looking for?" I may be planting, advising and doing layouts for beds and rose gardens. So much nicer being on site instead if guessing from their description at the nursery.

I am considering finishing my environmental hort degree, as I only need 20 units. The question is how necessary is a degree if I want to do small landscape jobs, or fine gardening.

Current exp. is 20 years as a plant nerd and nursery rat. 2 years mail order plant and seed ebay buis. Then the favorite job as rose buyer, grower, and head floor person at an upscale independant nursery. I filled in , buying, surpervising,merchandising the green goods part of the nursery when needed. Esp when one of the owners had her 2 babies. Now her youngest is a year and she feels she needs to do it all and save money in wages.

Any way.... is the 'degree' going to be helpful enough to warrent the time out to finish school? Or can I be just a successful with out it?

Thanks, Debinca

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions