SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noramcd_gw

best commercial greenhouses?

noramcd
18 years ago

Hi All,

I have yet another of the "I want to start a green business" questions for you. Despite the preponderance of advice to the contrary, we are moving to a 7 acre place and wanting to start a nursery. I'm looking for recommendations for a greenhouse that can be heated efficiently, which in my zone (6) probably means double-walled poly. I have a couple catalogs, but would really appreciate advice from the folks here who are already operating greenhouses. Company names? What to look for? Pitfalls? Companies with best reputation, reliability, follow through? Stuff I'm not thinking of? Also, we will be in a rural area where the only available fuel source will be oil or probably propane. Recommendations for fuel sources and/or heater models? What is a good size to start with? We had originally been thinking of growing orchids, but I think it would be better to try to get something out the door this coming spring. We were thinking of hanging baskets or combination planters. If we can generate some income, then we can think of a second house with a longer term crop... I suppose the third option is to put up a cold frame and overwinter perennials planted from plugs this summer. Or should we punt for a year and have my partner work for a grower next season? I think it's too late for this year.

TIA for any advice y'all care to share. I've been lurking for a while now, and I'm still apparently crazy enough to try this. Can you tell I'm having a humongous case of the willies about it? I'll be commuting to my day job, and my partner will be on site. This arrangement will hold until I can afford to quit, which will likely be never... Stupidly, I'm the plant person, but my job pays more than his, and he works from home anyway.

Nora

Comments (26)

Sponsored