SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaveh_maguire

Have any of you done estate gardening?

I lurk here quite a bit and it seems that most folk here are landscapers/designers or nursery owners/workers. I'm wondering if anyone here has done any estate gardening or managment or knows anyone who does?

I just applied for job in my area to be an estate gardener. Not manager of the entire estate (which does not appeal to me) but just for a large garden area (perennial, vegetable, and herb gardens).

It sounds ideal for me. Not only the type of gardening I like to do but also the chance to be creative and give input.

But of course I am getting all sort of warnings from collegues (and I know that you all are good with the warnings!). Things like "They will own you", "You won't be doing as much gardening as you think", "you will be their slave".

Frankly I don't know if I have a problem with any of those warnings. First of all the "own you" part. If you work at a Botanical Garden in a management position they OWN YOU. Trust me. I have seen it. And the pay and perks are not nearly as good. Since you are salary you end up getting paid less then the hourly gardeners working under you and you get pulled into all sorts of other things that have little to do with horticulture.

If you work as a gardener of a large botanical garden you probably have ZERO creativity. You just install and care for designs done by other people (that you probably think are ugly).

If you work as a gardener at a small botanical garden you may have more creativity and job satisfaction but the pay is dismal in most cases and in fact the garden itself may not be able to afford to do much exciting stuff.

So I'm actually not too worried. This estate job pays well, has excellent benefits (dental too!), and a month paid vacation (with the option of less overall pay for an extra month off in winter). So I'm kind of thinking if they want me to pick up their dry cleaning every once in a while or drop the dog off at the vet then I might be able to live with that as long as they are paying me for it.

But I bet you all might have stories to snap me back to reality! :)

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting