SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhargraves_gw

Hrdrogen Peroxide in Hydroponic Plants

15 years ago

I wanted to post a message to those who may be thinking about using Hydrogen Peroxide in their hydroponic pepper or other systems.

Recently I did a search from Yahoo on "hydroponic hydrogen peroxide", and this site was at the top of the search. After reading the comments posted I also went to other sites that recommend using hydrogen peroxide in the water for plants.

After reading all of this, I found a site that showed how much to use in the water for hydroponic gardening,

Long story short, I added half the recommended amount of hydrogen peroxide recommended to my plants, but not all of them.

My cucumber plant wilted in less than a minute, and my pepper plants looked liked they had not been watered in a week.

I quickly removed the plants from the solution, and changed it out, but was not fast enough for all of them. I lost two pepper plants, and one large Walla Walla Onion that I was growing. The cucumber plants later on lost the leaves that were growing at that time, but leaves afterward grew just fine.

Thnking maybe I just got a bad batch of hydrogen peroxide I did more research that recommended using only food grade stuff. The site had mixtures for both 3% and 35%. It explained the mixture recommended for both % of hydrogen peroxide.

To cut this post short, I did a pretty scientific test where different plants were given 1/2 or full strength or none, and in every case the plants had issues.

Some plants wilted for a while then snapped back, some just wilted and died, some the roots fell off and grew back new ones, and others had their roots turn brown and become course like horse hair. In short not one plant that was treated with H2OH did will at all.

Maybe its the type of solution I am using, maybe its because I am doing Bubble Ponics, or maybe its a hundred other things.

Short of it is, it is not something I would recommend to someone as a means of "maintenance", or a way of "increasing the oxygen" to plants.

I am only posting this so that other people who read this will know that if they use hydrogen peroxide in hydroponic systems, should do so with what I would call extreme caution.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor