SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thoughts_from_jules

Blueberries~ Which varieties are NOT patented?

We will be purchasing about 10 blueberry plants this coming spring and I would like to know which plant varieties are NOT patented. As I plan to propagate some cuttings to increase our blueberry plot over the next few years. I want to make sure whatever variety I plant is legal to do so. We like nice large berries for snacking. We freeze them and eat them plain, we also make jams and desserts with them as well as in baked goods. So we'd like most of the plants to have larger berries, and the other smaller portion of plant varieties to be the smaller berries that are better in muffins, pancakes etc.

We recently purchased 5 acres in Eastern Oregon zone 5-6. We would like to have a fairly large food production area for our family of 6. We go to a U-Pick blueberry farm an hour a way and pick 200+lbs a season so we need a LOT of blueberry plants. Any recommendations on how many plants we would need to produce that kind of yield? I have noticed how expensive blueberry plants are. We will be doing good to be able to invest in 10 nice sized plants because we have so much other stuff we are also trying to do, other fruits, orchard trees, remodeling the home etc.

I'd appreciate any help with determining a good variety for our needs.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES