SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stakedtomatoes

First Time Planting Sweet Bell Peppers...

stakedtomatoes
14 years ago

Sorry, I know this is a hot pepper forum but this seems to be the best spot to post bell pepper questions.

This is my first time growing pepper of any kind and I ordered four plants from Territorial seeds but haven't planted them yet. I built a 4'x'8 x 11" raised bed with a hoop cover for the bed. I added Cedar Grove garden soil and two inches of chicken manure. I purchased black mulch to cover the plants and white plastic to cover the bed on cooler or rainy days/nights.

It seems from what I've read is that the black plastic mulch is used for early in the season and I'm wondering if I should forego using the black plastic now that it's already warm outside. (I will run a drip line regardless) My concern is that the small transplants could get cooked under the black plastic. We are currently experiencing a heat wave of sorts for this area with temps in the mid 80s. I could wait until next week to plant when the temps drop but I am worried the plants are drying out too fast as they are in little starter pots.

Should I just go ahead and plant with the black plastic now or wait until the temps drop a little or not use the plastic at this time of year at all?

Any help in this regard would help, particularly from anyone who has grown them in Western Washington. Bell peppers are supposed to be a real challenge to grow around here.

Thanks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor