SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Potager now vegetables again...maybe a few roses

lavender_lass
14 years ago

Change in plans...again, but this time I think it's a good thing. My nephew has informed me that he would like to have more vegetables this summer and he does not have the space at his house, so he would like to have his garden out here. (He has a big dog that takes over the whole backyard, making gardening difficult.)

He's 10 and loves gardening. He just started last year and wants to try more vegetables, more flowers and a red rose...don't know where that came from, but cool! So, we will have at least a few red roses in the potager (back corners by seating area) and maybe tuck some herbs in still (I really want a small potpourri garden) but the rest will be purple sprouting broccoli, climbing beans, tomatoes, mini-pumpkins and watermelon...well, you get the idea. He also discovered fresh peas last summer and loved them, so lots of peas in the garden too. I was going to give him a small area for his garden (which will probably be his watermelon patch) but he really wants to help with the big garden. How do you say no to that??? Roses can wait, so it's back to the vegetable garden :)

He also said he liked the idea of roses that change color (I got some gallicas for next year to go in the nieces' fairy garden) so now I think that will be the magical garden...my own fault for being sexist. Magical gardens can have fairies, but also cool guy stuff, right? Any ideas???

I'm really glad my nephew is so excited about gardening! There is another upside...have you seen the cost of roses lately? (LOL)

Comments (13)

Sponsored