SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
surfcitypalms

Cycad help! I consider myself an expert, but I've never seen this

SurfCityPalms
13 years ago

Hello All,

I have a couple older Cycas revoluta in my collection and have had these trees for years now. I walk my yard daily and saw something new for the first time.

My Sagos' trunks are about two feet tall. As I looked at them as I walked by them, I saw something that looked as if ice was collecting on the upper portion of the trunks. Now I'm in USDA zone 10a and although it has been cold for here and raining for a week now, there sould be NO way at all there is ice on any of my plants, it's in the 60s. So I took my investigation a step further and felt what was on my trees. It is some kind of slimy clear gell that is coming out of where the last three sets of leaves were. I have no idea what it is and have never seen this before. The only thing that is different than normal is the fact it has been raining stright for a weeks now and normally we only get some showers for a single day tops which are usually weeks apart from eachother.

If anyone can help me understand what is coming from my trees, and if there is anything I need to about it, it would be great.

Thank you in advance,

Jerod

SurfCityPalms.com

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida