SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodifromoregon

Reposting question for a new visitor

jodifromoregon
15 years ago

zuni in a zone 5 had asked recently in an old thread:

"OK, I am new and really don't understand what the rules are for this forum. I am just looking for ideas about how to design a small potager garden for my front yard. Can anyone help?"

Hi zuni,

My own impression of the term "potager" is that it comes from a french practice of planting a kitchen garden close to an entrance area of the house (for easier access), and thus, since the garden is visible from within the house, it is designed to look very attractive, with both plantings of primarily veggies but flowers and ornamental elements added in as well.

And as for helping you design one, can you give us more details, such as the size, shape, and dimensions of the space you wish to plant? Is the area flat or sloped? Full sunlight, or is any of it primarily shaded? ....

More information would help (and a photo or two, if you can?). And hopefully others will post suggestions, and perhaps photos of their own potager spaces to give you ideas. My own "future potager" is currently just a row of 3 raised beds and needs much work to look the way I eventually intend for it to look (grin), but I know there are folks here who already have beautiful potager gardens set up and hopefully will share photos in this thread. :-)

Happy gardening!

Jodi

Comment (1)

Sponsored