SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_nut

Chimayo Peppers ~ Chimayo New Mexico

organic_nut
17 years ago

well I have been looking for a web site that might talk about the story of the Chimayo Pepper. Apparently it has been grown in the Chimayo valley or town in northern Mew Mexico for over 400 years. can that be possible.

Anyway the state of New Mexico has decided that it is important to save this chile. and it has almost gone extinct. since everyone almost had given up on growing it. so the state came in and has been trying to revise the growing of this pepper in Chimayo, New Mexico. Apparently it is suppose to be a very high quality pepper of the New Mexico / Anaheim type chile.

Some legislators in New Mexico are trying to pass legislation making the name Chimayo chile only for those grown in Chimayo. To me this is similar to the Vadalia Onion story in Georgia.

To make a short story long, I wanted to get some authentic Chimayo chile seeds and grow some of these heirlooms. but in accordance with the new idea that the chimayo should be grown in chimayo I wanted seeds that were grown in chimayo. I wanted the Real Deal.

some seed vendors sell chimayo seeds but they do not sell seeds grown in chimayo. so who knows how many years these seeds have been separated from their ancestral home and if they are still pure. well that was not good enough for me.

After much work I located Mary Lou 505-351-4112 a local in Chimayo who sells chiles. she has some chiles with good seeds from the Casados Farm in Chimayo. 1/3 pound for only $4.50 ( thats over 5 ounces ) to me that is incredibly cheap. I expect there might be 1000 seeds in over 5 ounces of dried peppers.

Come this harvest season I hope to order some fresh chiles from Mary Lou. and I think it is important that we all support the revival of the chimayo chile.

Mary was so nice. a wonderful person. she took my visa card number over the phone and will be sending me the Chimayo chiles with a list of her other products. apparently she also gets chiles from other farmers in chimayo and also has some nice ground up chile powder which I intend to purchase when I get the entire list.

I also like supporting the local native growers. this is important. so if anyone knows more of the story about the chimayo chile please post here. or if anyone wants some top quality chimayo pepper products please give Mary Lou a phone call. she sells the chiles right in the center of town 505-351-4112.

I will let everyone know when my chiles arrive and I get a look at her list of things she sells.

Comments (24)

Sponsored