SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

new NOID orange plumeria from Hawai'i + a question about Clonex

Just got back from Maui -- I was lucky enough to pick up a fresh cutting from a NOID orange! I got it from Dan's Green House in Lahaina - they were totally awesome about it - went out and cut it for me after I saw the flower being strung onto a lei. It's called "Royal Orange", which makes me wonder if it's a seedling of Royal Hawaiian/Plastic Pink, which they also sell. (It's also labeled as their "exclusive")

It's a beautiful flower - a mix of orange, red, and yellow, but somewhat muted. The petals have some striation and texture to them. The scent is amazing - strong classic plumeria scent with some spice mixed in.

Here are a couple of pix:

So, the cutting is cut at a 45 degree angle, and needs a better callous than what's currently there (The pith is pulling away from the cambium on one side, which I'm assuming is not ideal). I was planning on recutting the bottom at a 90 degree angle and callousing it in mulch. My question is actually about Clonex rooting gel, though - do I dip the end of the cutting immediately after the latex stops flowing? Or do I wait for it to fully callous first?

Comments (14)