SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manzomecorvus

thrillers, fillers, spillers

manzomecorvus
16 years ago

I don't know about the rest of y'all,but it seems there is lots of books on how to create raised bed gardens and lots of books on how to grow veggies. There still isn't, however, a lot of info on how to combine veggies, flowers, and herbs to get that "wow".

Well I picked up a magazine last night (Vol 4 Container Gardens - Fine Gardening/Taunton Press) and I realized the container formula they were talking outa work the same for a raised bed.

Here's the formula (copied from a longer thread on the container forum):

"Now if you want something more exciting, think in terms of combinations according to this recipe: thriller, filler, spiller. The thriller is a big, bold, plant with height and presence that you put in center or back/center of the pot, the spillers obviously come out of the pot and cascade down, fillers are the in between ones that complement and weave through the thriller. A simple shade formula is Elephant Ear for the thriller, coleus for the fillers, and creeping jenny for the spiller. Elephant Ears come in green, chartreuse (Lime Zinger) or Purples so dark they look black. Coleus come in every shade and variegation you can almost imagine and the creeping jenny is chartreuse."

In fact, I have been doing some of this, but certainly not consistently in every bed. For example,in one bed I already have beans on a teepee (thriller). Now I am thinking I need to plant some basil around the base (filler) and plant some verbena along the edge (spiller). Another bed I have anise hyssop (thriller), now I need to plant some dwarf blanketflower (filler) and maybe some fanflower or hanging oregano (spiller).

So here's my question to y'all. Can we put our heads together and think of some commonly grown plants we can use for these different categories? I am ready to do some experimentation!

Comments (13)

Sponsored