SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrobins_gw

Ecotourism (N. America) with native habitat restoration theme?

lrobins
20 years ago

This is a question about an idea that occurred to me. I am starting with the thought that there are many volunteer opportunities in my local area for half-day-length native habitat restoration work trips, necessarily focused on invasives pulling. Has anyone heard of a vacation-length "tour" that includes volunteering to help with a large-scale prairie (or other native habitat) restoration project, anywhere in North America?

There is such a thing as "ecotourism" that includes volunteeer work by the traveller, usually to help with with a scientific research project. I checked an organization that runs this kind of trip, Earthwatch.org, and didn't find any trips specifically aimed at habitat restoration, although they do have trips with related missions, e.g. "Mountain Meadows of the North Cascades [Washington state] Research Mission: Collecting baseline data on butterfly and plant populations to support conservation of montane meadows" (http://www.earthwatch.org/expeditions/mclaughlin.html).

Thank you for any help with this question!

Comments (14)

Sponsored