SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

In distress, too much or not enough water?

irun5k
13 years ago

Gang, I guess I've got all kinds of problems lately, but here goes:

As you can see from the first picture I've got some deformed leaves, there were a couple that were much worse that I removed. I assume it is from over or under watering.

I feel like a moron for not knowing which. I believe that my soil, like most of FL, is pretty sandy. It is basically a grey to dark grey sand. I would expect that it would drain fairly quickly and easily. However, I've been holding back on supplementary watering because:

1) my moisture meter, beyond the first few few inches, reads "wet." (I've recently learned this may not be accurate due to soil type or other conditions.) We've been getting rain at least once a week.

2) everything was fine this spring, and then it got (a) very hot and (b) we had monsoon rains for a couple weeks. I'm not sure if the monsoon rains caused the problem, or potentially a hot dry period between monsoons.

3) my neighbor has lots of plumeria (out of view but right along the fence you see in photo 2) that never receive supplementary water, and they always look fine. (they're not getting nearly as much sun though.)

I don't really know how to tell how moist my soil is. If I put some in my hand, it is nowhere close to visibly oozing moisture. But at the same time there is almost certainly moisture content- I can make a small ball, it won't last long but it definitely isn't like holding sawdust.

There are a couple of other variables. My AC unit is behind the lattice, it does have a drain but the water that drains seems localized to a very small area. I don't *think* it is contributing moisture to the rest of the bed. Second, the AC unit probably runs 20 hours a day this time of the year, and the fan is constantly blowing air onto the back of the plant. I'm guessing it is the equivalent of a 15 MPH breeze or so.

Lastly, the hibiscus you see in the picture was wilted today, which makes me think maybe the soil is drier than I think it is. However, the Ti plants and ginger have never complained (the lantana could care less about water.)

I really appreciate any advice anyone has!

Brian

{{gwi:1185460}}
{{gwi:1185461}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations