SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

What Do You Plant in a Drought Year?

susanlynne48
13 years ago

Dawn mentioned on another thread that if it appears we will have a drought summer, that she would plant differently, so she would have two different lists, one for a drought summer, and one for a "normal" summer (we use that term loosely in Oklahoma).

I'm not sure if that applies to just tomatos or includes other vegetables as well. So, I hope she comes along here and 'splains it to me.

I don't expect to get into a lot of varieties or anything, because that would take a lot of effort and I don't feel comfortable asking anyone to put that much effort into actually producing a list of not only types of vegetables, but named varieties as well.

I am just curious as to what things we should be looking for in what vegetables are best planted, or not planted, in a drought year. I realize that one attribute would be those vegetables that require inordinate amounts of water. But, since I am new, and there may be others who are new, and who are lurking here, I am interested in some assistance in recognizing what requires more water and especially, what requires less.

So, I'm tossing the ball out there to you, Dawn, and to anyone else who has experience and advice to share on this topic.

Thanks everybody!

Susan

Comments (4)