SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Saving seed of bienniel vegetables

Macmex
14 years ago

This is in response to Dorothy's question in the "Oklahoma Forum Seed Swap - Thread 2" thread. I thought this one merits its own thread.

I'm not too current on this. But here's what I remember. Been meaning to do more seed saving with these. I have done seed of mustard and turnip. I know how to do cabbage and broccoli. In fact, I think I have done broccoli. It's important to note that mustard and turnips will usually cross. So you shouldn't save seed of the two, in the same year, unless you have special cages to prevent pollinating insects reaching the flowers, or at least 1/2 mile of isolation. Personally, I believe that in most cases 1/4 mile would be alright.

The same is true of cabbage and broccoli. They will cross. What I'm not sure about, is whether cabbage and turnips will cross. I don't recall.

Now, the good news: these crops's seed all lasts A LONG TIME. So one could produce seed of one type per year in something like a six year (one crop per year) rotation.

Mustard and broccoli don't take up too much space. But some of these crops, like cabbage and turnips may need six feet square per plant when they really start setting seed. Also, as a general rule of thumb, one needs a minimum of six plants for proper cross pollination and genetic viability.

One year I produced my own beet seed. I had six to eight plants, which I let go to seed. Each plant produced a quart (yes A QUART) of seed!

Broccoli and mustard can produce seed the same season they are sown. But the others are biennials and one should only save seed from plant which flower in their second season. Here in Oklahoma, I suspect one could mulch them real well, or else, store the roots in sand, in a protected outbuilding.

Presently I'm working on seed production, for 2010, of both Lutz German beet and Laurentian Rutabaga. So, if we do a seed swap next year... I might send each of you an ounce of seed of one of these!

Okay, one more thought on this: these plants are generally good honey crops for bees. So if one produces their own seed, they can also be benefiting bees and other pollinators.

George

Tahlequah, OK

Comments (3)