SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waterguzzler

vermicompost too rich?

waterguzzler
16 years ago

hi everyone, forum/gardening/chile noob here, apologizing in advance for any breach in posting conventions and asking stupid questions.

punch line first: i have a problem with flower buds and blossoms wilting and dying, with an otherwise healthy plant. after searching the forums, it seems like excessive nitrogen in my potting mix (containing vermicompost) may be the culprit.

question(s): how do i correct it? replant in poorer soil? spike with phosphorus? something else?

details: 1 goat's weed, 1 bolivian rainbow, 1 texas chiltepin, each grown in an 8.5" diameter cylindrical pot. symptoms most pronounced in goat's weed. all plants are in "nyc paydirt", a mix of coconut coir, vermicompost, perlite, vermiculite, green sand, and black rock phosphate (from lesecologycenter.org), exact proportions unknown. plants are indoors in an nyc apartment, in front of an east-facing window with plenty of am light. i have not applied any fertilizer to the potting soil at all, ever. watering frequency is about once a week, with a little extra on very hot days. all 3 plants have lush foliage and robust growth, the goat's weed is 1.5' tall, the other 2 are about 1' each.

thanks in advance for your patience.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville