SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

black pearl pepper seeds

v1rt
13 years ago

Good morning folks. I'm new to this forum. :)

I learned about this pepper last night. Someone suggested this because I was looking for a plant with a very dark foliage. I ordered seeds last night on ebay. Hopefully, I will receive by the end of this weekend.

I would like to have a very successful germination. However, I don't know what this pepper like. Can I direct sow them in ground on a sunny spot? Or do you suggest to put the seeds first in a sunny spot?

Will it become big by end of July if I sow them this week assuming they germinate?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• chillilover
    13 years ago

They should be started inside for about 6 to 8 weeks. The soil temps should be around 80F to germinate. Keep soil damp not wet.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will be trying indoor next time. I still don't have the materials. Can the flourescent lights provide 80F temps?

• carroteggs
    13 years ago

you can also make your own heating mat. Someone posted that on one of the forums, not sure where. But if you search for it has some pretty good info.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Bottom heater mat

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's awesome! I have the materials for that howto. :D Hopefully, I can find the rope light in the basement.

Assuming they spout, should they also be under a flourescent light?

Thanks!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once I see sprouts(cotyledons), can I transplant them to ground on a full sun location?

• tsheets
    13 years ago

I don't have any experience with these in particular, but, many people transplant from their seed starting medium/cups to larger cups (16oz) when the first true leaves develop.

I think I may try something like that just to give it a little more fight before planting it in the ground. But, I would try to get it acclimated to the outdoors / sun as early on as possible (without killing it, obv). Maybe put into a plastic cup with holes for drainage, and put it in partial/dappled sun for a day or two before full on all day sun.

• elchupacabra
    13 years ago

I planted a dozen of these this year and only had 2 sprout.
    At 6-8 weeks they are Home Depot and today she brought me a plant that is two
    plants in a 4-6" pot and she said they are $6. Its covered in
    peppers already. If I can remember, I will post a pic tomorrow
    since right now I am sitting outside IAH waiting to pick a passenger up.

What do the peppers taste like?

• elchupacabra
    13 years ago

Seems the forum doesn't like the "less than" sign. At 6-8 weeks they are less than 2" tall. My bff is a plant vendor to Home Depot (that is what was cut out of the above post).

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh, it's a slow grower then. Thanks for the info.

I tried 3 seeds this afternoon. I placed it in a full sun area and also watered them with hot water.

We'll see after 2 weeks.

• sherryberrylicious_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Would anyone be willing to trade some of their Black Pearl pepper seeds with me?

I have many wonderful pepper varieties as well, so you would be mailed several cool types in exchange. I have...

~ FireCracker
    ~ Fruit Basket
    ~ Orange Habanero
    ~ Jalapeno
    ~ Long Red Cayenne
    ~ Purple Cayenne
    ~ Bolivian Rainbow
    ~ Tennessee Cheese
    ~ Explosive Blast
    ~ Trifetti Variegata

Please let me know if anyone would do a swap with me...

: )

• sprouts_honor
    13 years ago

sherryberrygardener, I sent you an email. If anyone else would like Black Pearl Pepper seeds, just let me know. You can send a SASE or trade for another ornamental or mild varitey. (I'm a light weight when it comes to heat.)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz