SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiianbuilt

2008 Lawndale Ho'olaule'a Hawaiian Festival PIX !!!

hawaiianbuilt
15 years ago

Hey GardenWeb Folks !!!

Saturday July 19th - Sunday July 20th marked the 2008 Ho'oluale'a Hawaiian Festival at Alondra Park in Lawndale, Southern California !!!

With so many great vendors, entertainment, food, plants, and PLUMERIA on site, this was yet another event NOT TO HAVE MISSED !!!

Below are some of the pix I took that Sunday July 20th early morning before most of the folks arrived !!!

Let's begin !!!

Arriving early at the festival, not many folks on site yet ...

One of the Sponsors / Supporters ...

GO KAMEHAMEHA !!!

KAMEHAMEHA NO KA 'OI !!!

So while awaiting some of the entertainment to set up, it was time to hit the VENDORS !!!

My favorite tshirt !!!

Plumeria depicted in Hawaiian Culture everywhere !!!

Artificial Plumies !!!

(Definitely NO DORMANCY PERIOD here !!!)

Beautiful KOA WOOD Jewelry !!!

Islander Artwork ...

And of course no Hawaiian household is complete without ...

TARO (aka POI aka LAU LAU aka YUMMY) PLANTS !!!

Then I spotted something at the E Hula Mau / Na Mamo booth up ahead ...

What were they selling ?? PLUMERIA !!!

This beautiful Plumie was a display and was not for sale :(

I purchased the same variety as the one above, and the grower told me that because this branch was not in the direct sunlight, that the petals retained their rich color !!! So I purchased a cutting for $6 !!! (Pictured below is the one I purchased on the left, and the display Plumie on the right !!!)

There were other Plumie vendors out there selling Plumeria alongside other amazing tropicals !!!

After all that Plumie excitement, it was time for the age old Hawaiianbuilt tradition of ...

HAWAIIAN DONUTS aka MALASADAS !!!

After that quick snack it was time to leave, I didn't get to stay too long as I had other places to check out !!!

Headed out to the Mitsuwa Marketplace (Japanese market) in Torrance !!!

Had arrived early to their Festival !!!

And there was the Okinawan Donuts !!! Yes MORE DONUTS !!!

Korean BBQ !!!

Japanese Style Pizza !!!

TAKO-YAKI aka YUMMY FRIED SQUID !!!

All in All ANOTHER awesome day that Sunday July 20. Having a great time at the Lawndale Hawaiian Ho'olaule'a Festival as well as the Japanese Market: Mitsuwa Markeplace !!!

This post is dedicated to my friends that afternoon at the Hawaiian Ho'olaule'a Festival ...

Brett and Kandi and Andrew !!!

See you soon again Folks !!!

Rodney

Comments (6)

• kbauman
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Rodney,
    Outstanding outstanding, delightful. Love your pictures feel I was at the festivals!! How interesting that you could buy cuttings, that is great and different. Love the contrast of the Hawaiian flavor to the Japanese..Looks like you had a great time..and Donuts!!! ha
    Karen B

• bloomnbill1
    15 years ago

Rodney....I want to thank you for the tour......Being in the mid-west (STL) don't get to see that much Island and Japanese festies. All we have is German Ommm Pa Pa , German Brats and BEER. Lovely Puctures.
    BloomnBill

• kelpie473
    15 years ago

Nice photos, it was fun to see them just wish I could have been there with you! Thanks for showing us your day! Suzanne

• malibu_rose
    15 years ago

I just returned from a trip so was unable to go to the event in Lawndale although a friend told me about it. Thanks so much for taking the time to post these photos. I felt I was there and I would have loved to purchase the other tropical plants in addition to plumerias. Please let us know about these two amazing festivals next year because I definitely want to go to them!

• mikevanecek
    15 years ago

Who was selling that taro?

• paxfleur
    15 years ago

Wow, wow --- I don't usually post on this forum but am an avid reader but wanted to drop by and say mahalo for sharing all your photos. I'm from Honolulu but now transplanted in Virginia and your Hawaiian pride and aloha spirit really shows in all your posts and pictures. Your picture of the saimin/malasadas booth has me craving so I think I need to put some spam and rice on the stove before I go to bed. I always look forward to your picture-filled posts and thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so generous with your photos. Have a great weekend.

E Malama pono,
    Pax =)