SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashleync_gw

New yard-- newbie -- spiders and black fungus?

AshleyNC
9 years ago

Hello!

We recently (two weeks tomorrow) moved into a house which is about 12 years old. We love the yard, but it needs ALOT of work. One issue is that there seem to be a ton of spiders. I havent seen any brown recluse, but I'm sure they are around. Mostly Wolf spiders and some others I haven't identified-- rather large ones-- but not brown recluse. When we walk through the grass in the evening I can literally see them scatter (the grass needs work, bald spots). Heebie Jeebies! We have a 3 year old, active and curious and he loves running barefoot. I know spiders are a necessary part of it -- but I'm tempted to call the exterminator it just seems it's been just uncontrolled too long. Thoughts? We had spiders in Wisconsin were we lived before, but nothing like this and we had quite a few there.

The other issues is a patch of a black powdery substance that almost smokes if you pour water on it. I noticed it bc my three year old scooped it up and threw it and it made a cloud of smoke/dust. It was definitely not dirt. I suspect some mold or fungus? I did immediately wash his hands as throughly as possible.

Thanks is advance for all advice! We are starting at square 1!

Comments (8)