SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Oklahoma Forum Seed Swap - Thread 1

soonergrandmom
14 years ago

OK - I think it is time to get this started. I have noticed that many of our readers and contributors live in Oklahoma and adjoining states, so this swap is open to you also.

(1) This is vegetable seed swap.

(2) The minimum number of packs is 20.

a. Seeds must be fresh. They can be saved from your own garden, or they can be commercial seeds no older that 2008.

b. Each pack must be packaged individually and be well marked with the content. If you can put additional info on the pack, like size or days to maturity that would be nice, but if not, please use the exact name of the plant so it can be researched on-line.

c. Size of pack has been discussed in an earlier thread and it was stated that 25 or more was a good number for large items like beans or corn. I will say that for seeds like tomato, pepper, melon, or squash, 10 seeds would be a good number. This would be about half of a rack pack for some of those items. I would ask that you be generous and provide the amount that you would be happy to receive. Some seeds like greens, lettuce, radish, etc., I would expect a larger amount.

3. Seeds need to be packed in a bubble envelope or a small box so they will not be damaged in shipping. Your seeds will be returned to you in the same envelope you send your seeds to me in. In addition to your seeds, please include:

a. An address label addressed to yourself, for the return trip.

b. Adequate postage for the return trip.

c. Some have asked for a copy of George (macmex) instructions on hand pollination. It is several pages long so if you wish it mailed with you seeds please allow for extra postage. I can also email it to you.

4. All seeds should be in the mail to me on or before November 30th. I will try to turn them around in the following week so they don't get caught in the Christmas mail rush.

5. I stated a minimum of 20 packs, but that doesn't mean that you can't send more.

a. Any number over 20 will be placed in a separate bin and divided equally among everyone playing. Everyone that sends in 20 is gauranteed at least 20 in return.

b. If any of your bonus packs are to go to someone that you have already promised them to, please mark them clearly.

c. Bonus packs can be anything you want to send and don't necessarily need to be vegetable seed. They can be herbs or flowers but your 20 required packs need to be veggies.

6. Please sign-up by responding on this thread and make sure that your profile allows you to receive mail from gardenweb. As soon as I see your sign-up, I will send you a personal email through GardenWeb with my address. I will also post you username on this site. I will leave the sign-up open until Friday midnight, November 20th. Final mailing is due by November 30th. I will not release your address to anyone else, nor will I send you junk mail. LOL

Let's start sign-up now, and then we will talk a little about what you HOPE you receive. Carol

Comments (142)

• owiebrain
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I do know what you mean, Dawn. The bit just woke up a snoozing, unverified factoid that I'd filed away in some dark, neglected corner of my brain. And I'm with you on the health care!

Poor, poor Carol. LOL Still, I'm going to bet on Dawn's making it through because even USPS knows & fears Dawn's Mighty SuperSeed Power!

Diane

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My first call this morning was from the post office to assure me that they had found two of the packages and my carrier would have them today. They said one had a bad zip code, but who knows. It seems when they sorted the mail, they gave my pakages to another route carrier that has a street name the same as mine on his route. Well since the streets have numbers and they run for miles and miles and have a lake in the middle of some of them, this is going to be common. Anyway, the carrier remembered returning two, and as far as I know at this time, there were three returned. Two were from you guys and the other one was from Georgia. To complicate things even more, there is another house that has EXACTLY the same address as mine except mine is Lane and theirs is Road. We are only a block apart and have the same carrier so we knew how to straighten that one out, but evidently they just throw packages in by street name without looking at the number. It boogles my mind.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Carol,

When I checked the morning mail, the package we mailed to you on Tuesday wasn't returned to us in it, so I went ahead and sent the second package today. I hope you receive them.

You are so patient. I'd just be beside myself right now.

Diane,

LOL I do try to share extra tomatoes with our USPS people when I have extras. Do you think that will earn me enough brownie points to keep the seed packages from coming back?

Now that I have cleaned out my seed box and shared some seeds, I have a strong urge to order more seeds. It is an addiction.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Todays mail brought packages from Melissa, Dawn and George. Gotta go. Will write later.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Carol,

That's good to know. Let's see how long it lasts. LOL

The second package is on its way.

Dawn

• mjandkids
    14 years ago

Let us hope mine makes it to you. I sent it out today and it should be to you in "a few days" to quote the mail lady. Let me know if you don't receive it and I'll be on the lookout for it.

For the record our mail here is questionable also. This is a newly established address (about a year ago) but we still have things returned to people "invalid address". There are no duplicate road names or numbers here. Our carrier just shakes his head when he hands me a letter that makes it through on the second or third go round. We haven't had any mail issues since June and I'm hoping that holds when you send my seeds back to me :-) I can just imagine your reaction if they started trying to send all those boxes back to you...ugh. I'm thinking I may just start using UPS. That guy's been making it to my doorstep since the second week we lived here and we've had no problems with them.

Problems aside, this is my first swap and it's fun :-D

Mandy

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

I'm going to get the seeds in the mail tomorrow. This week has been really busy for me but it's over now!

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, to have been so short earlier, but we were leaving to go look at some land for my son and we had an appointment and two hours of driving to get there.

The packages are looking wonderful and I think we will have some happy people when your seeds are received. My DH had the news station on this morning and had just heard something that made him very unhappy with the government (what else is new) when the mail came. I came back in the house and said, "Man, these are big packages with a lot of seed. Everyone is being so generous". He said, "Those people are just nice aren't they? To bad some of them don't run for Congress." LOL

The post office said that one of the packages had a bad zip code and they had marked it out in black letters and had a label there to call it to my attention. I am not sure they were right. I could clearly see 4 numbers but they had darkened it so badly that I couldn't quite make out the third number. Anyway, the seeds made it here, what little sanity I had is still in place, and we will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks everybody for being so nice. Carol

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Hey folks, if you are praying people, pray for me and my family. I lost my job today.

George

• elkwc
    14 years ago

George you will be in my prayers and thoughts. I pray you can find another one soon. Jay

• p_mac
    14 years ago

George - how awful. I can just imagine you feel the rug was jerked out from under you and many more emotions. Happened to us last February and I believe several others here.

Unemployment benefits are different than they used to be. You can now apply on-line. You also report your weekly job searches on-line or the phone. AND the "unemployment" office of the State is different from the "employment" office now, and it's a county office. DH has enrolled there and now is considered a "displaced" worker and is due to start school in Jan. w/benefits continuing for him to learn a new skill.

You & yours will be in my prayers every, every day.

Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

George,

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know that it can be so disheartening and shocking when this happens to somebody. Like Paula said, this has happened to several of our forum members this year and I keep all of them in my prayers.

We will be praying for you and your family, and I know I don't have to remind you that when one door closes, another one opens. Keep thinking positive thoughts and remember all of us are here for you.

I know there probably is nothing we can do to help you right now, but if you think of anything you need now or later on, please tell us.

Hugs and best wishes to you and Jerreth.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

George, I saw your post last night just as you posted it and answered, but don't see it this morning. I am so sorry that this has happened to you, and in your case it is just not possible to run down the street and find another job. I know your head must be spinning as you try to decide what to do.

When I started to bed last night, my husband said, "I prayed for George. I didn't know his last name, but Heavenly Father does."

I told him your last name and said another prayer for you myself. I don't suppose you saw any of this coming in advance.

I saw something the other day that said, "Don't tell God how big your storm is, but tell the storm how big your God is." It is a rough time right now for so many, but I know your family has strong faith and you will also have the prayers of many others.

Please know that both Al and I have you in our prayers and hopefully your problem will soon be solved.

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Prayers sent up, George (and everyone else going through this).

Paula, glad to hear you're at least getting unemployment. George, I hope you can as well! We can't get it due to hubby being a subcontractor rather than employee so I'm no help on the benefits available.

Santa needs to bring everyone jobs for Christmas. LOL

Diane

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

Carol, I didn't get an email with your address. Could you please send me one? Thanks.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tigerdawn - I am trying again through GardenWeb. I don't like to just put my regular email out there because then I get spammed heavy, but I do have another one. In fact, I'll just give it to you caroldumasallen@icqmail.com Send me an email on that and I will write back to you from my regular email box. I know they can harvest email addresses from GardenWeb but at least I will make it harder for them to get my real address.

• mjandkids
    14 years ago

George I will be praying for you as well as everybody else. DH is having problems at work too and I hope he's not next.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Thanks folks, for your prayers and encouragement. I won't be getting unemployment, since though I was essentially fired, I was required to turn in my resignation. On the upside of this, I get three months of severance and avoid an ugly situation. I'll start job hunting on Monday and already have a lead on something to put bread on the table.

George

• gldno1
    14 years ago

George, I am so sorry about the job loss and also the others that have had this happen. These are uneasy times.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you find something quickly.

All who need it will be in my prayers.

Glenda

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mandy, I got your package today but haven't looked at it yet. I can't believe how full these packages are that I am receiving. It is a good feeling to see such giving people.

George, my husband said that your three months severance would be like the widow's flour barrel. I am glad that you have so many skills to fall back on so you can "keep bread on the table" until you can get back to your profession. God bless you and yours until this is over.

• gamebird
    14 years ago

George, I would strongly, *strongly* encourage you to call the unemployment agency and discuss your situation with them. Do NOT rely on the information from your employer as to whether you qualify for unemployment. Not only are they reverse motivated to know (ie, they have to pay if you claim against them), but they aren't in the business of providing unemployment benefits and knowing what qualifies and what doesn't.

You can reach the unemployment office at 1-800-555-1554. Calls go through best Wednesday and Thursday. The first time around, talk to an operator. After that, you can apply online.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

George, so sorry to hear about your job loss. Glenn and I will certainly be praying for you and Jerreth. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Dorothy

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

George, as we all know, there is a lot of evil in this world.

Not only did they take your job away from you, but they made you write a letter of resignation! That makes me so mad. A lot of employers add insult to injury in this way, just so they won't have to pay higher unemployment taxes. I'm sure it's not so much about you as it is about them.

My daughter had a good-paying job in Tulsa, with benefits, and the month before she was scheduled to use her sick time and her insurance to get gastric bypass surgery, they fired her! How they did it was they just watched her like hawks and wrote down every little thing she did or didn't do that wasn't to their liking. The real reason they let her go was because they didn't want her using the sick time she had accumulated, and insurance is such a funny thing, you have it till you need to use it, then when you do, they increase the premiums. All businesses know that when their employees have surgery, the group insurance premium is affected. She has been struggling ever since. Got another job but it doesn't pay very much. I'm a dinosaur. I remember when employers really cared about their employees, knew their families, and would cut their own incomes before they'd let someone go.

George, things will work out, we have been through this sort of thing before and when we look back on it, we can always see how it was actually a blessing that it happened because it opened the door for an opportunity we wouldn't have otherwise had. This will happen for you, too. Just keep your eyes and ears open.

I think you ought to go to the Unemployment agency, too. What they have done to you at your job is horrible. Maybe you will find out, if you report your situation, that this is how they terminate everyone there. I think this is probably pretty close to being illegal. But I understand that it is getting so common now that prospective employers don't hold it against a job applicant when they say they were fired. At least now it is illegal for a previous employer to tell a prospective employer anything other than the time period that you worked there. So at least they won't be able to stab you in the back again. You are better off out of there, if that's the kind of people they are. The state unemployment agency has job listings online that you can apply for. Put the word out, also, at your church. We have had a couple of friends who lost their jobs and eventually took paying jobs at the churches where they had always been members.

Of course our prayers will include you and your family. Please keep us posted as to how it goes. --Ilene

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last night I went through all of the seed packets that I have received so far and they are amazing. There is something in every package that I would like to try. I laughingly told my hunband last night that I thought I was glad that I got first choice. He laughed, but said he knew me well enough to know that I would try to make everyone feel like they got first choice. LOL

Mandy, I hope you won't be mad at me, but I took two of your packages and split them into smaller packages. Each of them had lots of seeds and I thought they were both desirable things that a lot of people would like to try. I think I made three packs from one and 6 or 7 from the other. I think you will know which ones I mean. One was giant and one was dwarf, if that gives you a clue.

Several people have sent enough packs of one item that everyone will get a pack to try. These are good things too, and I am anxious to try them.

I have given everyone a number and I am marking each seed packet with a number so I can make sure that you don't get back any of your own seeds, but since several of you have sent the same seeds, I hope I can keep from sending you one of those. Sorting is not going to be a simple matter, because all of you have been so generous. We have a lot of seed already and I haven't received everyone's package yet. I hope I have time to set up a spread sheet to help me a little with the sorting, but since next week is Thanksgiving and I will have company from Wednesday until Saturday, my time will not be totally free. LOL At any rate, I will try hard to get things mailed back within one week of receiving the last of them.

Thanks for playing. I think you will enjoy some of the surprises. If there's a vegetable that you just hate.....you better tell me now. There is also still time to post a wish list if you have thought of something new.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Just remember that my wish list is pretty small. Herbs are only optional and not expected. My pleasure is that others receive the seeds I sent.

George

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Carol,

I love seed swaps. I love packaging up seeds and sending them and imagining how much other people will enjoy trying them, and I love receiving a package of surprises back in return.

George,

You truly have a heart of gold and are so giving and kind. I hope you know that I appreciate you and Jerreth every single day and so admire the work y'all have done for decades through SSE. Just think....there are people all over the country (perhaps all over the world!) enjoying seeds that you have shared so graciously for many years. What a warm fuzzy feeling!!!!

I truly believe the kindness and blessings you give to others are returned to you many times over and that is one reason I am so confident you will come through this unemployment crisis in good shape. And I am still praying for you and all the others here who find themselves searching for work in difficult economic times.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Carol, I didn't post here earlier because I didn't think I had enough to share. Then shelled out the seed that I saved from the Cherokee Stripe pole beans that George gave me and do have some of that and some sugarsnap peas and moon and stars watermelon, plus a few others. So will get them to you ASAP. I would be willing to receive anything especially tomatoes and peppers

And George, I wish I'd known Jerreth wanted Oregano and Soloman's Seal. Have the herb in the garden the other wild in the woods. They both spread by runners. It would probably be better to transplant them in the spring.

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

Mullberryknob- do the Cherokee Stripe do well as dry beans or just green?

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Dawn (tigerdawn) I believe Cherokee Striped Cornhill would work for dry beans. They are VERY prolific and fit my profile of a truly great bean (stringed, yet with the tender hull characteristic, etc.) Jerreth and I are opposites in some respects. I tend to expand my collection and she tends to only want her favorites. Just last week she told me, "You know, if I were planting the garden, I'd only plant Tennessee Cutshort and those Cherokee beans...." I reminded her that Childers Cutshort is apparently identical to Tennessee Cutshort, and "I'd hate to lose it." I commented, "But what about Barksdale, which we received from your grandparents?!" Then, "And Ruth Bible, that's another great one which we've only barely trialed." And, "I truly love Long Cut Old Timey Greasy Bean. It's such a great mix." And, "I'm working on a cross of Black Greasy and Long Cut Old Timey Greasy Bean, and someday I should have a superb black seeded greasy...." ... "and then the fight began." (Just kidding, but you get the idea.)

Dorothy, we may make it over your way in the spring. we had such a wonderful time that it should be easy to make it an outing.

Dawn (Okiedawn) thanks. You're right, the Lord will take care of us. Right now we're really hurting. Yet, we are living in plenty and providentially had been preparing for this for months, yet without knowing it.

I didn't send any, but if anyone is interested in a rather odd bean, I could send a sample of Tarahuma Pink Green Bean. The late John Futterman, in Berkley CA sent this one to me back in the mid 90s when we were living in Hidalgo, Mexico. It's originally a Mexican bean, and it is daylight sensitive. But it does produce this far North. It just grows and grows and grows all summer. Then, in September, POW! The whole vine bursts into beautiful pink flowers and sets tons of pods. The pods are the sweetest of any I've ever tried, and quite delicious, though they do toughen up quickly, and hence I would not recommend it as a main crop snap. But, the pods also mature very rapidly and it produces a huge crop of easy to shell pink kidney shaped beans, with black markings. They are truly beautiful.

When we came back from Mexico our middle girl adopted this bean, as "her heirloom." Whenever I grew it, I'd give her the seed. Anyway, I didn't realize it, but she didn't rotate, but rather kept the older seed in her favorite jar, and lost the recent seed. This year, when I asked to grow it out, all the seed I could locate was non viable. Finally, digging through my seed drawers, I found two loose seeds, which looked to be either this or Ralph's Italian Heirloom (oxidation made it impossible to distinguish). I planted them on a pole and they came up. By August I knew which one I had, because the vines hadn't bloomed and required another pole and had enveloped two large tomato plants in cages. I'm still shelling and picking the pods. the production is amazing.

George

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I'm like Jerreth. Now that I've been bitten by the seedsaving bug, I don't want too many to keep track of. And flavor is so important to me and those Cherokee Stripe beans were DELICIOUS in spite of being stringed. And they are stringed very young so every pod has to be destringed.

Love to have you back in the spring. Come when you can stay a while and we will make more time for visiting--and that glass of apple juice.

• mjandkids
    14 years ago

LOL. Carol I'm not upset with you in the least. You part things out as you see fit :-) Also, don't feel you have to return to me nearly as much as I sent to you--pass a bunch of it on to those who could better use it. I'm happy to just receive most of my wish list and a few surprises.

You said to tell you if we really don't like something. We don't have any complete dislikes here but I did want to remind you about soybeans and how big a no-no they are around here.

I'm just thrilled my package made it instead of being bounced back. Have fun with all the sorting :-)

Oh, and George remember this. Lucado's right when he says "You can no more alter God than a pebble can alter the rhythm of the Pacific", and the Bible promises "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall now want." You have a big God and He will not forsake you. I agree with Ilene--just keep your eyes open and you'll find what you need. There is no situation God has not already planned your victory in. Stand firm on one of my absolute favorites--Psalm 27 :-) I'm praying for you that He will direct your path in the way of victory and that He will bring you His calming presence as you wind your way through this current obstacle.

Smiles and hugs to all of my seed buddies :-)

Mandy

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Greetings All! The fog this morning here in central OK was absolutely HORRIBLE! It was as nerve-wracking as driving on ice, maybe worse because I couldn't see 2 car-lengths in front of me most of the way to work! At one point, I found myself wondering just how far down one road I was because I felt like I was in the middle of a marshmellow! I left 15 minutes early and was still 15 minutes late!

Carol - managed to get my package off to you today (mailed from the FAA post office). I join the others in saying don't worry about sending as much back as I've sent. Mercy, when I got started there was no stopping me! I don't know how zealous everyone else got, but send any extras along to someone who can use them if you've got too many. I was afraid I was the last hold out, but Dorothy has joined so YEA! HEHE! And if I sent too much postage, use it for those others too.

And George, how wonderful you can see God's guidance in preparing you & yours for this without you knowing! I'm always so amazed still and thankful when I realize that has happened in my life. Still praying for all of us that need the "Employment Angel" to pay a visit.

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had said earlier that I would close the swap by a certain date, but I forgot to post when it was closed. It didn't matter really except for those that were preparing a package of something for everyone and they needed to know how many were in the swap. I was suprised when Dorothy didn't join and I am glad she decided to come out and play with us, but I think I should cut it off at this point so that I can get everything in and be able to turn it around in early December before you need to order your 2010 seeds, so...

THIS SWAP IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED.

I know Lisa mentioned an flower swap so maybe someone will host that. If not, we can trade those in the spring.

Status report:

1. Okiedawn - Here (both)
    2. Gamebird - Here
    3. Macmex - Here
    4. Soonergrandmom - Here
    5. Owiebrain - Here
    6. Mspriggs - Here
    7. Mjandkids - Here
    8. P-mac - Mailed 11/23
    9. Dannigals-garden - Unknown
    10. Tigerdawn - Unknown (Did you mail on Sat. as planned?)
    11. Mulberryknob - Unknown
    12. Elkwc - Jay, I counted you as in the swap. Am I right?

You guys know I have mail problems sometimes, so if you have sent a package that you think should be here by now, please let me know. My Post Office is "a place where everybody knows my name". But they will forget by next week.

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

Mine went in the mail from work this morning. I am really getting excited about this. I feel guilty for not sending a whole bunch of seeds but the okra and marigolds were the only things that did well enough for me this year to have seeds to send. Hopefully with all y'all's help I'll do better this year.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Paula, I know exactly what you mean about the fog. We went to Branson one time, and when we started home we got behind a truck full of chickens. The fog was so thick we couldn't see to go around, so we followed that truck for miles. Finally we saw a decent-looking cafe along the way and stopped to have biscuits and gravy and let the truck get a little further ahead. LOL

Everyone, sounds like y'all are going to have a wonderful swap! I had to open one of my gourds as it was starting to rot, and looks like the seed is going to be viable. But I have still to cut into my Cushaw pumpkin and the Black Pearl peppers are still ripening, so I'm still planning on spring. I'm trying to get organized but it's going to take some time....

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Paula,

It sounds like you had the same fog we had, and I am just glad you made it to work safely. This was the worst visibility we've had here in several years.

Y'all,

I suspect Carol is now officially buried under an avalanche of seeds, and more still are on the way. Isn't it great?

Ilene,

I'm sure there will be plenty of people with seeds to swap with you in the spring.

Winter squash and hot peppers seem to ripen their seed at their own pace. Even though the top portion of my Black Pearl peppers froze last week, the bottom half is still blooming and forming more peppers. Last year, one of them survived in a pot almost all winter although it was on the patio and had a little shelter there from the frost.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received three more packages today.

Dorothy yours is here.
    Paula yours is here.
    tigerdawn if the return address is from Del City then I got yours too.

I haven't opened these packages yet and it will probably be a couple of days until I can do so. I didn't worry about your screen names being on the package because I know most of the people that are playing, but when I looked at that 3rd package today, I hoped I knew who that was. Sorry that I am so daffy sometimes.

Dannigals_garden - Still waiting to hear from you.
    Elkwc - Jay, still waiting to see if you are playing.

We just about have everyone...and yes...it is a lot of seed. Carol

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

Yeah, I'm Tammy. Sorry about that!

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Carol,
    I just sent you an email. Jay

• shankins123
    14 years ago

George...I haven't read this thread for a bit (since I realized I would have no seed to send in...)...I am very sorry about your recent job loss, BUT...if you are one of God's, I know that He knows your need and knows exactly how to provide for you and your family! I have seen His provision over and over...and continue to see it, so...have faith, and know that you are being prayed for.

Is there anything that we can provide for you or your family? Please let us help if we can.

I did not get a crop out of the Tennessee Cutshort beans for which you provided seed this last spring...everything worked against them! I will happily try again this year, though. :) In the spring, trusting that we'll have a swap again and that you are able to attend, would you please set a bit of the Tarahuma Pink aside for me? That one sounds very interesting - I'd love to try it.

May you have eyes wide open to see God's blessings each and every day!
    Sharon

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Danni, Your package came today.

I am waiting for one small package to arrive, but I am going to start sorting and should have everything out the first week of December.

Thanks for playing everyone. Carol

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

George said: didn't send any, but if anyone is interested in a rather odd bean, I could send a sample of Tarahuma Pink Green Bean."

Just out of curiosity, did you mean Tarahumara? I only wonder because I recently read "Born to Run" about the Tarahumara (among a few other people). It was one of the best books I've read in a while!

Diane

• Macmex
    14 years ago

That is correct Diane. It should have read Tarahumara. Last night we were sitting around, as a family, and we got to shelling these. It is truly amazing how much seed this one produced. When the beans are all dried, I expect we'll have at least a gallon of seed. And that was from just two plants!

Sharon, thanks for praying. I sent you an e-mail with a few more details: details I wouldn't want to post for all the world to read. I would love to make the spring swap. But this year I had to use birthday gift $ to go. In the coming year... God only knows.

George

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Diane,

If you are interested in the Tarahumara people, you might enjoy looking at some of the seeds offered at Native Seeds/SEARCH. Quite a few of their seeds were collected from the Tarahumara people and have their name in the name of the variety, like Tarahumara Dark Purple bean and Tarahumara Flor de Mayo.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Seeds/SEARCH

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Ah, good to know, George. I might have to beg some off of someone in a couple of years when I have another bean year. That's an amazing amount of seed!! How did your interview go, btw?

Carol, you're a saint to be doing this. I can only imagine what your house looks like right now. Piles of seed packets everywhere, pets and hubby huddling & discussing whether or not to send in a search & rescue team...

Diane

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Thanks, Dawn! I didn't know about that -- neato!

Diane

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Diane, my interview, last Monday, went quite well. I hope to hear from them tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for asking.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received the last package today so now the fun begins. Actually I have worked on it all along so maybe the sorting won't be as bad.

I had a list on which I gave everyone a number. When their package came in, I put that number on each package of seed so I would not give someone back their own seed. Then I made a list of what they sent in for the swap and put it all on a spreadsheet so hopefully I don't send them back the same kind of thing they sent in. I have another list that shows what they would like to have (if I have it). Maybe I can make all of this work.

Some of you sent seeds marked for Diane and I didn't do anything to them except look at them. Lucky Diane! Thanks to all of you for caring about each other.

George sent a wish list with only herbs and flowers and since I had not included herbs and flowers in the swap instructions, his share will be limited, but he knows that. However, he was very generous in sharing his seeds with us. In return, please offer a prayer in behalf of he and his family as they are experiencing some employment trials at this time.

Jay said he was sending a little box with a few seeds. HaHa It was not a little box, nor was it a few seeds. I have repackaged some of the bulk packs that he sent and he says he doesn't want anything back either. I am sending him a couple of things anyway so he can try Dawn's new tomato, and the cowhorn okra I traded for earlier in the year for him.

Almost everyone sent more than the required amount and two people want little or nothing back, so we will have some extra packets that will be included in your package.

Actually Diane, it hasn't been too much of a mess. I took out all of the packets and put numbers on them, wrote down what was in the packs, and returned them all to the original package. I did this as they came in then kept them all in a clothes basket. Today, however, the mess begins and I have my entire dining room table covered with seeds. LOL

I have seen the variety of seeds that Dawn and Jay have, and we still have our own king and queen of gardening on this forum. LOL

Now the fun begins....and I will let you know when to start checking your mailbox. Thanks for playing. Carol

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Carol,
    I got most of the tomato seeds sorted tonight and yours will be on the way by the weekend hopefully. Like I said in the email I sent you. You really don't have a clue at what my seed stash was. But have cut it down by a 1/3 anyway. If now I can get the maters thinned out. Jay

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This thread is about to end so I am just going to post this as the final message. All future postings for the seed swap should be posted on Oklahoma Forum Seed Swap - Thread 2. See you there.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County