SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuckrox_gw

yearling habs need help

chuckrox
18 years ago

I have 8 habs that I started last summer and overwintered in my basement. They did fairly well, even fruited in the Jan/Feb timeframe (although very small peppers!). We had some very nice weather in mid-April, and I decided to get them outside and hardened off. Now it's mid-May, and they are definitely hardened off -- they're very woody & sturdy, etc. but the leaves and growth leave something to be desired (I've brought them inside most nights). I sunburned them when I first put them out (most existing leaves have since fallen); there's been a decent amount of new growth, but the leaves seem pale and generally I wouldn't categorize the plants as "fluorishing".

Questions:

- from what I've described, would you recommend more or less fertilizer? (I gave them a pretty good shot when they first started getting lots of sunshine, but have cut back since then).

- Most of the plants are bare sticks & branches with a little new growth poking out. Should I chop these way back to encourage a fresh start? -- or let them go?

- I'm positing/hoping that lower temperatures are the main reason for sluggishness. Agree? Other opinions?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert