SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Plumeria progress in Western New York.

Andrew Scott
11 years ago

Hello friends,

Thanks to temperatures warming again, my plumerias are really taking off. Of the 60+ varieties I have, I now have 5 varieties that have inflos forming.

Dwarf Singapore Pink has the most amount of inflos right now. This is my oldest plumeria. I have now had it for about 3 and a half years. 2 of the inflos have buds that are now showing. Though there still small, if temps stay warm like they are and the humidity stays up, the buds should hopefully open in a few more weeks. About 2 weeks ago, I spotted the third inflo, and today I found the 4th.

I would HIGHLY recommend this plumeria to eveyone, especially newbies. It was the first rooted plumeria I ever bought, and a good deal at that. I bought it from Stokes Tropicals on sale for $29.99. It came with 4 nice sized branches, each with 1 tip. I cut off 1 of the branches last year to give to a good friend of mine. I only wished I would have read up on pruning though, as I am pretty sure it wont form any new branches. The good news is that this tree has tripled in size!

It is still more compact, which I really appreciate considering I cannot grow my plumeria outdoors year round.

My Thai Super Round(not the actual proper name, my friend who sold it to me lost the tag on it)has 1 inflo on it. The other 6 tips have yet to form any inflos but this has been a very good plumeria in terms of producing inflos. It also seems to be a more compact variety.

My Sariah's Curly Pink also formed an inflo. This was a cutting I rooted last November(I would not recommend anyone trying to root over the winter, as cuttings are harder to root when there dormant. I think the only reason why I suceeded was because I had it under my 600 watt HPS light, which I run for about 14 hours a day). The only bummer is that the inflo has appeared to stall and it really hasn't progressed in size for about a month. The inflo is still healthy, and the water bottle it was in was full of roots. I actually repotted it(again I wouldn't normally repot when there is an inflo developing) about a few weeks ago. Maybe that made the inflo slow in development?

The last plumeria that has a HUGE inflo on it is my Taj Mahol. This is the only plumeria as of now, that is giving me any issues. The leaves are 8in long and nice and green. The tree itself is about 16 inches tall.

Just now I went to look at it to measure the leaves and i believe I found the source of the bud drop. SPIDER MITES! GRRR!! Well I have the FE ready to spray and will start that ASAP.

My friend Sonia told me that she herself has issues with her Taj Mahol dropping buds. She said it just seems to be a more finnicky variety.

Has anyone else had issues with there T.M. dropping flower buds?

I will start spraying today and report back as to how it responds. I really love this plumeria, and even if it is a more finnicky variety, I do recommend it to other plumeria growers. I love the shape of the flower, and the colors are awesome...yellow with a pretty red edge. I never can properly describe the fragrance of a specific plumeria variety but it is one of my favs. Then again, I don't think I have ever smelled any of my plumeria flowers and thought "Wow, that plumeria really stinks!" LOL! That's why I get myself into trouble buying more and more! LOL!

The last plumeria that I have blooming is my Apricot. I just bought this plumeria from Bloomingplumerias off of Ebay. It has become one of my favorite plumerias. Great flower color..kind of a peachy pink color with a yellow throat. Fragrance was described by Bloomingplumeria as a cinnamon scent. I don't know if I agree but it is a very nice fragrance!

WEll take care eveyone, and I promise to get picks when my plumerias are blooming.

Andrew

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting