SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xavierdlc61887

How do u sprout cycad seeds

xavierdlc61887
16 years ago

I bought 100 cycad seeds and some were already sprouted....do i plant the sprouted end up or sprouted end down??? i need to know cause i dont wanna plant it wrong then they dying...k thanks for reading this

Comments (41)

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Xavier and CycadJungle,

Thanks for you input on this thread.

Some time ago I ordered and received 10 Cycas Revoluta seeds ...

{{gwi:250972}}'

I've been hang'n out just wait'n for some action from any one of these seeds, not know'n what was go'n on underground. I had planted all the seeds about 1/2" under soil.

Your post however caused me concern that maybe I should dig the seeds up and get them nearer the surface so they don't rot.

So I dug them up and found that 6 of them had started to swell and the outer seed coats were cracked open along the seam that runs around them and divides the coats into two halves.

But one of the seeds I dug up looked like this ...

{{gwi:250973}}

I am psyched! Or should I say Cyc'ed.

I dug the seeds up at dusk to avoid having the Sun's radiation traumatize the roots if there were any.

I feared that these guys would be far too complex for me to germinate properly. But I was wrong and am happy to admit it.

:)

• Related Discussions

Geum Seeds not sprouting- am I doing something wrong?

Q

Comments (6)
    Congratulations on your sproutlings!! May they live long, bloom-heavy lives and grow to be colorful additions to your flowerbeds. It's easy to get impatient when you provide the best growing medium & optimal growing conditions but it's best to stand back once that's done and let the seeds do what they do best...sprout when the time is right. Tomorrow I'm going to be planting ornamental dogwood trees I grew from seed via winter sowing--they're nearly 3 ft. tall and well branched so it's time to get them in the ground and let them do their thing. It'll be bittersweet in some ways--I'll be planting them beside the stumps of mature dogwoods that snapped off 12 ft. from the ground back in the October snowstorm and had to be cut down.
    ...See More

When do u start potting seeds and what r u planning to seed?

Q

Comments (21)
    Jenfm, I've always thought about the dwindling daylight hours effects on our fall/winter vegetable gardens. Not just fewer hours, but less intensity as the plants grow. Then there's the seasonal lag through January before things really start the upturn toward spring. It's no wonder the largest pumpkins and squash grow in Alaska and Siberia. Unlimited sunlight on those large leaves! Along with the soil sterilizing deep freeze every winter. I've never had luck with summer squash here. They come up and flower fine, but immediately after flowering the small fruits rot or vine borers get into the stems. I'm going to order some of those Tromboncino squash seeds very soon. Ill, did you say you planted that in the fall? Cucumbers do only slightly better. I don't think they handle humidity well at all (mildew) and get the same bugs as the squash. I'm planning to start some cukes in late Dec to take advantage of the dry season and lengthening days. In a large pot with a trellis. I think you can sow amaranth anytime of year. Once it's established and you let one go to seed it pops up everywhere. I really see the best growth in the spring. It goes to seed more quickly later summer and fall. I've found the red one does better for me. The green one must be very tasty though. It's always eaten up in the garden, by little caterpillars. I love nasturtiums among the veggies too. They pop up every fall like magic.
    ...See More

Jacaranda Trees how do u grow from seed?

Q

Comments (1)
    They grow easily from seed--often you'll see self-sown seedlings germinating around an established tree. In fact, here in some parts of Australia they're classified as weeds! It could be that they're not offered for sale in your region for the same reason. (Hop over to the Florida forum and ask.) Anyway, there's no special technique: plant them in spring/summer (when it's consistently warm) and keep them warm and moist. Like all seeds, they should neither dry out nor be constantly wet. You should have no problems getting them to germinate.
    ...See More

Sprouted my green bean seeds. Now, how do I plant them?

Q

Comments (7)
    I use to presprout my snow peas, and I would just gently set them in a slight trough in the soil and gently put dirt over them. Why do you presprout your beans? I did it because the mice were eating the seeds, but not when I would presprout them. I totally forgot to presprout this spring, and didn't get any snow peas.
    ...See More
  • xavierdlc61887
    Original Author
    16 years ago

here are some pics of the cycads i have and the 100 seeds i planted but i think im going to lay them sideways so the roots will go down in the soil well ill keep you all updated on how my seeds germinate :D

[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/xavierdlc61887/DSC06407.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/xavierdlc61887/DSC06406.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/xavierdlc61887/DSC06405.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/xavierdlc61887/DSC06404.jpg[/IMG]

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Xavier,

If in Photobucket, you use the third 'http' tag and paste it, your pic will show without us having to cut and paste each one of your 'IMG' tags.

It doesn't cost GW anything in terms of DB space as it is still just a link, so don't let that worry you.

Try it and look what you get in the PREVIEW Message feature when you post.

It works.

• xavierdlc61887
    Original Author
    16 years ago

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

Keep in mind that that the majority of the pictures you just showed are not of seeds at all. Those are offsets that are pushing a new single leaf flush. Now the picture of about 50 things in pots looks like seeds, but the offsets are treated totally different. First thing is don't water it too much and make where the green sprout goes straight up. I have an article on offsets too.

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

Oh, OK, I see in the other thread that you have pictures of known offsets as well, so am I correct that you are only asking about the 1 picture of seeds? I can't zoom in there, but it appears as if some of those seeds have a crack in them. If I am seing this right, you have some sort of small cycas (the genus, not to be confused with cycad seeds) seeds. The best way to plant cycas seeds is still half way in, but then rotate them a little so the crack is exposed but with one half or the other in the medium. Looks like they are pretty dry. I couldn't see much out, make sure those are sitting in the shade if they are going to be dry.

• xavierdlc61887
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the picture is when i had just finsished planting them,second is i watered and put them sideways. As for the offsets i added some rooting hormone so im just waiting...waiting a while :P for them to root. thanks for the info though oh i also bought 100 coonite,florida cycad seeds so im wondering if they are coming clean or im going to have to clean them. anyways i need help how to plant those too. Just wondering :P um k again thanks for the feedback im starting to learn more about them :D

• xavierdlc61887
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well this is the plant that its going to look like this is what im told

• florida_wannabe
    16 years ago

LOL, not sure how old you are, but I doubt you will see the trees look like that before your pushing daisies.

• xavierdlc61887
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am 20 years old

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

Well, if you live anywhere in the south, you should be able to get something like that in about 15 years, so you have plenty of time. If you continue to be fasinated with cycads, try to learn as much as you can. All cycads are on the endangered species list and those of us who are most interested in cycad conservation are always happy to find people in their twenties that have their whole life in front of them, who may be interested in growing and propagating cycads. Any time you start having a seed bearing colony, you will reap the benefits for decades to come. I knew one guy who put out a colony of sagos and put 2 kids through college on just selling the seeds. He will be able to sell those seeds for the rest of his life, and for that matter, if any of his kids wanted to, they could make their livings doing the same thing with the same plants. If you end up being really getting into cycads, you should think about joining The Cycad Society. Besides getting a great full color newsletter filled with information on a quarterly basis, the seed bank usually makes about 30 to 50 species of seeds available each year, for modest prices.

• xavierdlc61887
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Awesome well i have always seen sagos here whre i live but until recently they have fascinated me because they are a challenge to grow and plus they sell at a very high price :P hahaha well i hope i can grow them and start a nursery growing palms,cycads,and other plants that im interested and what would be a good addition to where i live :D well thanks lots and i put the seeds inside the garage and lay them halfway so they can stay just moist :D...right now i have Washingtonian,coco plumosa,canary island dates,Sylvester,and many other seeds brewing right now so just waiting on them to sprout so i can then transfer them to my ranch and plant them there till they are a market size. as for the pups one is growing at a rapid pace should i cut the fronds off or should i let them be as the plant is putting energy on the fronds and not the root development???? k well thanks a bunch and hope my dreams come true and your help will keep coming :D

• tey157
    15 years ago

xavier, how did the seeds go?

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Hi everybody. These are a few of my seeds that have germinated in warm moist conditions. I want to move them to a warm but different location. The area I would like to move them will not be as humid and moist as the area in which they germinated. My question is; can I be doing any harm if I proceed to move them?

• plantsman56
    8 years ago

I don't think so.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

I'd agree, as long as you don't put them out suddenly in direct sun.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks tropicbreezent for advice, although they will now be getting at least 2 to 3 hours of direct sunlight, but this sunlight is protected by translucent IBR roof sheets. It worries me a bit.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Hi. In the photo are sago seedlings that are 6 months old. Can I transplant them in deeper pots in order to develop stronger roots or should I wait until 18 months? The pots are 4" wide by 3.5" deep.

• plantsman56
    8 years ago

Be careful not to damage the root, but getting them in a deeper pot will help a lot. I'd do it as soon as you can. They don't need a lot of width, just depth. Here in Florida, we have what we call citrus pots. 1 gallon citrus pots are 4 inches square and 12 inches deep. Perfect for keeping younger cycads in.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Thank you plantsman56! I have some 2Litre Coke bottles which will give me at least 12inches in depth. I will get on it ASAP. Thanks again for the advice. I had 28 seed which I planted late August 2015. 22 of them have germinated already. Only 4 seed are in pots greater than 6 inches in depth. I will start the process as recommended.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

Those pots are definitely too shallow for cycads. But plastic drink bottles with the bottoms cut out is a good idea for them, I've used those before as well. And do be careful with the roots, they can be quite brittle. I've lost seedlings from damaging the roots, it happens so easily.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Thanks again tropicbreezent. You guys make this website awesome with you all's advice . When I've successfully completed the final transplant of these seedlings, I will be looking for advice of what cycads and palms will grow successfully in South Africa, and from where I could import them? Thanks again.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Good day tropicbreezent and plantsman56. I would consider the operation a success. I've managed to slice off the bottom of the short pot and then placed it on top of a 12" Coke plastic bottle. The roots were not touched or disturbed at all. Now the seedlings can grow through the top pot right into the bottom "pot". I can now leave it as is for the duration of it's pot life. The seedlings have approximately 15 inches of soil to grow into. Thanks.

• plantsman56
    8 years ago

That looks like a great idea. It will be good in there for at least 3 years. You did cut some holes in the bottom? Right?

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Thanks plantsman56. Yes I cut holes in the bottom. 3 years sounds far off? I guess I'm going to have to try planting new seeds to get the adrenalin pumping again. Any suggestions of which species I can try my hand at? I believe I have green fingers now. Haha!

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

"Necessity is the mother of invention!" I didn't realise you were in ZA. Have you tried googling the cycad friends site? You have all the Encephalartos species at your finger tips, and even Strangeria. But a lot of Cycas species are available, and I'm pretty sure Zamias as well. Check that site out, you'll get a lot of help. I'm a member too.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Hi tropicbreezent. Thanks! Yes I'm aware of the Zamias. They are actually the next species I'm looking to get for my garden. I'm still working out which are the perfect spots to plant them. I wouldn't like to relocate once I've put them in the ground. I've seen that name encephalartos before but I'm still new at cycads and palms. I bought my first pair purely by accident and then it grew on me...especially after the first seed germination. It was like watching a miracle come to life. I've found the most perfect spot to germinate my seeds. It's in my pump house. It can get pretty hot in there and I've covered the opening with plastic which allows the morning sunlight through and keeps the shelter warm throughout the day. But I can only keep a limited amount at a time in there. The last few of the 28 seeds I planted are showing signs of germination, and when this process is complete I will remove them and look to sow a different species.

• plantsman56
    8 years ago

Encephalartos is your most plentiful native genus. I think there are about 30-40 species just coming from SA. The faster growing, more common species would be E. ferox, and to me, less attractive, E. villosus. There is a learning curve on germinating Encephalartos seeds, so if you are looking for instant and good success, you may want to wait on those. Most Dioon seeds sprout well and fast. Dioon edule is a very slow growing plant, but the seeds are relatively cheap and are way more common. Most Zamias germinate easily. Some seeds are expensive and some are cheaper. The " pumila types " from the Caribbean are cheaper and easier to find, where the tropical Zamias will be harder to find and will be more expensive. Since all cycads are on the endengered species list, Zamias and Dioons are at least on appendix 2 and seeds are easy to import. Check around on what you can find, but I can help you find some Zamia and Dioon seeds, but seeds coming from the US can take up to 3 months to get to you. I don't know exactly where you live, but I hear from a guy I deal with days that at certain times of the year, your postal service is absolutely terrible. Also, you may need to check on this, but if you end up owning Encephalartos plants, I hear things like you have to have a permit for each and every plant in your yard. I don't know how that works when you start from seeds, but I do know, if you have 50 Encephalartos plants in your yard, you will have a stack of 50 separate permit papers in a drawer and the guys can come knock on your door at 3 in the morning to come see your permits. To me, it would not be worth it.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Wow! Thanks plantsman56. This information is appreciated. Either yourself or Tropicalbreezent referred me to a cycad website in SA. I was accepted to their Facebook group last night and will definitely get more clarity on the permit saga. I have noticed that in the area where I reside, nearly every yard has cycads of some sought growing in abundance. So much so, that some yards have these cycads growing outside their perimeters. In SA, everything is becoming a business and previously cycads have been kept by a very few of our population. Now with the old laws that have passed and anyone that can stay anywhere, cycads are being exposed to everyone. There are just too many issues in our country for our government to stand by such a law of permits. For selling purposes, that might be the case. As for keeping cycads for your personal collection, it would be almost impossible. But, I will check it out and do must best to stay on the good side of the law and do what's best for the presavation of this plant. Thanks again.

• plantsman56
    8 years ago

Each state deal with these things differently. I hear a lot about Gautung, ( I didn't check spelling) that is either one of the easiest or most difficult states for permits. So where exactly are you at? I can see what species is native closest to you. You may be close to one of my many friends over there. I've been talking with people in SA when all we had was long distance phone calls. Even though this is a good name to some and bad name to others, I used to get seeds and plants from Cynthia Giddy, probably back in 1992.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Gauteng. Not far off indeed ! I'm from Gauteng...the capital Pretoria. This might be the easiest area you mean.? It's the financial capital as well, so things are easy accessible. Money talks!! I've seen a pamphlet of cycad permits at a local nursery here. It did stipulate that if the trunk is wider than 400mm (approx 16" in your language), you would need a permit. It's not a hard and fast rule as I tried to mention earlier. Only people who collect and have a passion for cycads are aware of these permits. Others have them in their gardens and are unaware what plant it is. People purchase properties with cycads on the premises and are unaware of it's origins or status. Permits are a "good" idea to prevent theft or poaching, but if enforced, will only drive attention towards these species...and in this country people look towards it as money and then the species will definitely be in greater danger. In SA, people steal electrical cables as soon as there is a power outage because copper to the poor is money. They are not concerned of the damage that is brought about to large companies dependant on electronics and technology. A few rands (dollars) of copper costs a company millions of rands in damage. I'm not saying this will happen with the cycad industry, but where there's money to be made in our country, people flock there without any concern of side effects. Yes, it will be nice to be in touch with cycad people this side. I hope they will be willing to share as freely as you guys abroad. Thanks plantsman56.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

I saw you'd joined that site. If you look at the topics index there's a section on legislation, you'll get a lot of answers there.

• darrylparfitt8
    8 years ago

Thank you tropicbreezent. Yes I have joined and already communicating directly with one of the admin guys. All the best with the cycads! Thanks for all the info. Maybe we'll chat soon in the group or on this website. Long live the Cycad...

• Nathan Liao
    7 years ago

Hi guys I'm a newbie of cycad seeds germination process but I was lucky to have a germinated seed out of 2 which i bought from a street vendor (the other rotted)

the problem is that it's been many many months and there are only roots and no leaves yet (i am told this is a cycas species but not sure which). Im worried the meristem is stuck inside rotting away and im always eager to pry it open but its stuck together very strong.

Guys, any idea if this is normal? I repotted it cos the previous pot is a bit shallow and i heard they have really long tap roots.

Im happy for the germinating seed but disappoint at the same time cos there might be a chance its not surviving if its leaves are already dead inside

Heres another close up on the seed

thanks for helping!

Regards

Nathan

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

The first thing to emerge from a Cycas seed is a radicle, the main root. Be very careful handling this as it can be very brittle and damage will cause it to rot. The radicle goes down deep so you need a very deep pot. It can take quite a long time, months, for the radicle to get settled in before the first leaf emerges. It's best to plant a seed as soon as it sprouts so that there's less risk of damage to the roots. Overwatering or keeping the soil too wet will cause it to rot.

• kuni12345678
    7 years ago

I am germinating E. horridus seeds using a heating mat set to 85 degrees F with a thermostat. I am germinating seeds from last year. I will try to experiment with seeds from this year that have been stored for three months. I think that the seeds will mature by the end of this year. I have some E. horridus that were germinated from seeds four years ago and most of them have six leaves. I grew C. revoluta from seeds that were planted in a planter and have grow to about six inches in four years.

• PRO
    AgricSeedfarmer ltd
    6 years ago

order Exceedingly Rare Microcycas calocoma cycas seeds,palms,

Leucadendron Rubrum * Spinning Top Conebush *3 Seeds* Rarely Seen For Sale *Limt

Aug 18, 2015 7:29 AM CST

we wish to know if you are interested in the cycad seeds we have for sale.

we have seeds of rare species seeds and also have propagated seeds of some rare

species too .

Below is our price list and catalog of our available stock

contact.....sea.cucumber60@yahoo.com

• Kevin Agu
    6 years ago

cycad and Encephalartos species available..E-mail: angelamiost@gmail.com
    E.latifrons
    E.Woodii
    E.Dolomiticus
    E.Horridus
    E.Eugene maraisii
    E.Poggei