SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

The 'Hyponex Experiment'

tn_veggie_gardner
15 years ago

My "Hyponex Experiment" originally posted on my blog.

Recently, on a GardenWeb forum, there was a discussion regarding Hyponex Potting Soil. I think it's crap mainly because it has sand in it & clumps together too much, not allowing drainage. Well, I bought one of the $1 bags of it at a local grocery store. It's about 2/3 of a cubic foot. Anyways, I have a few pepper plants that need to be potted up. I decided, since I have some spares of them, to use one for an experiment with the Hyponex. It's a Jalapeno Early Organic plant. I filled the bucket with 100% Hyponex (no other additives, soil mixes, compost, peat, etc.). I figure also, if anything can survive being in just this soil, a pepper plant would be one of those. I did give it a shot of water-based MG fertilizer to help things a bit. I would normally do this right after transplant into what I consider a known good soil though. So, the MG doesn't affect this experiment any. The main goal is to see if the plant even survives. If it does, i'll compare it to one of my other Jalapeno Early plants to see how different fruit production, growth, etc. is from this one. Wish me luck! I'll update this experiment weekly, or sooner if anything changes (plant dies, etc.). Below are two pictures I took of the plant right after transplanting into the bucket.

{{gwi:28791}}

{{gwi:28792}}

Peace - Steve

Comments (12)

Sponsored