SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pieheart

Urgent: Need help--will these eat cheesecloth?

pieheart
15 years ago

I am gathering some live insects for a children's demonstration. It's pretty hot here and I won't be watching over the insects between now and Tuesday when I will need them.

So far I have found two tomato hornworms, two monarch caterpillars, one colorado potato beetle larva, one tiger moth caterpillar.

I have them in plastic containers right now with some soil and host plants, with double cheesecloth and rubber bands on the top. They are in the shade. I wanted to use the cheesecloth for air circulation, but I'm afraid that the larvae will eat through the cheesecloth and escape. I realize that they can eat through. But is it in their natures to try to escape when they have food? Any suggestions on a better way to keep them? I can poke holes in the containers since they are plastic and put the lids on, but I'm afraid of too much condensation and heat, even though they are in the shade. It is August after all.

Any advice?

Comments (2)

• calliope
    15 years ago

I don't know, actually. I doubt they will but I don't know. Do you have any window screening or plastic netting like from an old bath scrubber (don't know the proper name for those things)? I usually have a roll of fine window screen somewhere in the cellar. They literally don't make it like they used to and I find the new screen material to be soft, fine and supple. They won't chew through plastic or metal.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

You can purchase a bit of tulle from the fabric department.