SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbellot

Aack! I think I've killed them

mbellot
11 years ago

The other day I noticed that my peppers (NuMex Twilight, TS Butch T, a couple 7P Douglahs and a lone new Bhut) were starting to put out a lot of blooms.

I had problems last season with lack of calcium early on (blossom end rot), so I mixed up a batch of calcium acetate (distilled vinegar and dolomite lime) and treated them with it.

Last night when I got home I noticed several were drooping. Initially I thought it was lack of water (it's happened), but the soil was still moist.

Then I thought maybe too cold (high 50's here yesterday), so I brought them in.

Still no dice after a couple hours, when it clicked to me about the calcium I gave them the night before. I quickly took them outside and flushed them all for several minutes to hopefully clean the soil.

At 11pm last night I pruned back the worst of the bunch to their main stem (ouch) and some others I removed the branches that were still limp/wilted.

This morning the ones I cut back completely seem like they are still firm, but the ones I only partially pruned appear to be getting worse.

Is there anything else I can do (tonight) that might turn them around? I hate to hack them all back (esp. the Bhut), but I'm getting the feeling there may be no other choice.

Unfortunately I can't post pics, I'm at work and they are home. But if you've ever seen a severely wilted plant due to lack of water then you've got a good idea what they look like.

Help, please!

Comments (10)

Sponsored